Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Another Thread on a List of Indie Developers With No DF  (Read 3094 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Another Thread on a List of Indie Developers With No DF
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:26:20 am »

So yeah, the Escapist just finished a, quote, 10-day celebration of the designers and programmers who have struck out on their own to make the games they want to make, unquote.  And Dwarf Fortress goes unmentioned again.

I know you guys like threads about this sort of thing, so there you go.  Complain, talk, derail, whatever you want.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Another Thread on a List of Indie Developers With No DF
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:44:58 am »

I find it a little sad, especially since Toady gae up his day job to do this and is making low five digits. I think that is true dedication to your hobby, especially if you like it enough to give up wages for it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:52:35 am »

I don't care to be honest. Only 1 thing matters: DF is the best [indie] game...and yeah I am subjective, but it's acceptable in this case I guess... ;)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:06:29 am »

In this case you can not be angry - they said they will ahow 10 games, they did.

It would be much worse if it was some sort of comprehesive showdown.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:39:34 pm »

DF, even in alpha, remains the best game that I have ever played. FF7 comes close.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 02:47:43 pm »

Well, I can say that World of Goo at least deserved to be on a list such as this.

It's kind of disappointing that DF and Toady and ThreeToe weren't recognized on it. It's not really too disappointing for DF, I think. It's more disappointing for that list and the person(s?) running it.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:57 pm »

Though I know i should not be angry.......it is their own list and they can choice whatever they want......but still...

I am disappointed, DF deserves more, Toady deserves more

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:33:06 pm »

They'll catch on eventually. :P
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

A while back there was a huge surge in interest in DF. It had a feature in PC Gamer, I think, and was on the CD. Yahoo wrote a blurb on it and horribly misrepresented it, as I recall. It's quieted down a bit, but I think things will start heating back up with the new release.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:56:59 pm »

A while back there was a huge surge in interest in DF. It had a feature in PC Gamer, I think, and was on the CD. Yahoo wrote a blurb on it and horribly misrepresented it, as I recall. It's quieted down a bit, but I think things will start heating back up with the new release.
how so did it misinterpret it? do tell so this can degenerate into a flame war against yahoo.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:39 am »

If the article he's referring to is the one I read, Yahoo talked about how it was a simple game and Toady should work together with a big game company to get it ported to the DS.

Any serious DF fan will crack up at the thought of that.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:30:35 am »

The Yahoo! blurb: http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playing-for-free/1183474-2

You. Can't. Put. Anything. As. Deep. As. DF. On. A. Fucking. D. S. And. I doubt that Toady would be willing to stand for a bastardization that could run at more than 1 FPH.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 03:54:54 am »

Well, I can say that World of Goo at least deserved to be on a list such as this.

It's kind of disappointing that DF and Toady and ThreeToe weren't recognized on it. It's not really too disappointing for DF, I think. It's more disappointing for that list and the person(s?) running it.

I dunno, playing it really changes your opinion on it. Of course it was just the demo, but it was quite nice. Multiwinia, now that one sucked.

I really cannot compare what the other choices are, as I have not played them. You must keep in mind, however, that DF is still very much a work in progress. Those are finished games, fufilling exactly what they advertise. What Toady is advertising is beyond anything else out there, but it is still in major development. He does deserve an award, but this list seems more of a finished product kind of deal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 03:58:42 am »

The Yahoo! blurb: http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playing-for-free/1183474-2

You. Can't. Put. Anything. As. Deep. As. DF. On. A. Fucking. D. S. And. I doubt that Toady would be willing to stand for a bastardization that could run at more than 1 FPH.
Ahem. Quoted For Mother F'ing. Truth.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.
Pages: [1] 2 3