Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: "Traditional" stats system  (Read 15721 times)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Traditional" stats system
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »

Huh?  So far on the subject of Toady commenting, I have said that a) I wasn't disagreeing with the idea that it was his game and thus his right to choose and thus that it was pointless to argue further, which is what it sounded like Tormy thought I was doing when he took what was supposed to be a funny comment as serious, and b) that he's probably waiting for the heat in this topic to die down *before* he makes a comment.  *Neither* of those AFAICT imply that I think he *needs* to make a comment, or even that I'm sure he *will* make a comment.  If you're still sure you're reading me right and not simply attributing comments incorrectly, please explain what you're reading.

Now that I'm trying to relook, it appears b) has you frazzled.  How does saying "He's probably waiting for the heat to die down" put a spotlight on Toady?  I don't get it.

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by arthos:
<STRONG>Hello people...
I don't want to take sides, but I have to agree with my brother in this topic, and not because he is my bother.
The numerical RPG stat system is widely accepted everywhere. This doesn't means, that Dwarf Fortress must use it. The key point here is, that since Dwarf Fortess can be configured very easily using the .ini file, I don't see that why couldn't this system being added later on for the players who would like to use it.
Those players who would prefer the current system, wouldn't be forced to use it.
Everyone would be happy that way.
Just my 2 cents.

a.

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: arthos ]</STRONG>

I really don't mind that option anymore.  I preferred a wizard mode, but since being able to turn weather on and off is already in the .init file, it doesn't matter.  Really, I wanted it to be obvious that it wasn't the intended game play, since I see things like knowing your hit points as giving you a slight tactical advantage.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by spu00trb:
<STRONG>I still think the answer is a better and more detailed written description system. Simply saying "mighty" is conceptually OK, but not really in keeping with the detail provided (in desriptive form) in the rest of the game.

Look at the artifacts, they menace with spikes, and have engravings of X doing Y to Z. The dwarves give you all kinds of info about what they like, but an epic dragon? Well, its Mighty and Massive.

Not numbers, but better and more interesting descriptions.

This is an undead carp. It is 30 feet long, a large example of its species. It can survive on land and on water. It is vicious and fearless. Undead carp eat only meat, preferring the flesh of humanoids. Undead carp are very hard to kill, and can eat a dwarf in a single bite.</STRONG>

Yup I agree.  I like Descriptive Writing.  I'd start with the adjectives at first and then later expand on them.  There are some things in your description thought that the player doesn't automatically know at first.  LIke vicious and fearless, unless he sees the creature tare another creature up.  DF is also a game about learning from your mistakes I think.  That hard to kill part, you'd learn trying to kill one.  But basically, what a character sees when they press [k] on a creature should be what a real person would see, along with some of what they have learned about the creature.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Axehilt_VuP:
<STRONG>

Wha--?

Look, you'll always have line of sight of everything in your own Fortress.   Always.  It would utterly fail as a game in the kingdom-running genre if you couldn't see everything you controlled.

So the fact is you do see everything in your own fortress and that's essentially cheating.  It's "godmode" line of sight.

So "it's cheating!" is a bad argument against numerical stats in DF.  However there are plenty of other good arguments that can be used to argue why they shouldn't exist (and have been made in this thread).  And the best of those arguments is that you just don't have perfect knowledge of your foes - just like you don't expect to have "godmode" line of sight in a Goblin fortress, you won't have "godmode" knowledge of each goblin's stats.</STRONG>

Just when did the Goblin's fortress you start off at become your fortress?  Also, you say it would fail as a kingdom-running game if you didn't have complete knowledge of every piece on your current map, but you never explain why.  I really don't think you need to be able to see where the Elephants are on a map, if one of your dwarves isn't close enough.  I don't think you should see a goblin trying to sneak into your fortress in a certain area, if you don't have a guard there to watch it.  In fact, the way I see it, it would be a better kingdom running game, if line of sight was limited to what your dwarves could see.  If you neglect certain areas of your forth, you should pay the potential price.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>I just said it shouldn't exist. That doesn't mean it won't. It does already exist, because the computer can only work on numbers, it's not human. My - subjective - opinion is that the only place this should be found is wizard mode. An analysis of the problem, presented as an objective opinion above, also leads to believe that DF should be played without displaying underlying mechanics.</STRONG>

I see a trend in the game to make things more how your dwarves would see them than how a god would see them.  For example, in previous version of the fortress, you knew the exact stats of your food items.  Now, to increase realism, your dwarves have a general guestimation of your food stocks.  Where before you saw  Meat: 123  you now see Meat: 100 (?) unless you have a good book keeper.  I think this says something about game play intent: that you aren't intended to know precise details about everything.  That's why I prefer "Very Strong" as opposed to Str: 18, or even better as someone mentioned, a description of the creature should be given, describing bulging muscles, razor sharp claws, if you seen the creature attack another before, more information can be given.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:00 am »

quote:
I brought the terms into the discussion because they mean exactly the same thing. A quantitative description refers to using numbers to describe information. A qualitative description refers to using descriptive words. The terms are just shorter and more precise for this type of discussion. There are plenty of quantitative descriptions in dwarf fortress: from the exact number of drinks in a barrel to the number of bolts a marksdwarf carries. These numbers have an intuitively obvious meaning, and require little to no documentation or interpretation to understand. There are also a number of qualitative descriptors used to indicate relative skill and ability scores that are not intuitively obvious. The order is currently...

Okay let me cut you off right there.  The description about what something can lift wasn't purely quantitative. You used words and a number to write a descriptive sentence.  That is a combination.  When we were talking about what you see when you [k] a creature, you wanted to be able to see its starts with quantitative values.  My opinion on the matter is, you should see a description of what the dwarf sees, along with what he generally knows about the creature.  This bringing up of skills and ability scores thing is bringing up the wrong thing, since I've made it clear that you should not see the creatures ability and skills at all.  I am against you seeing a 5th level goblin guard standing next to a 3rd level goblin guard.  I think you should see two goblin guards, and you can hide in a bush and observe them to find out if one is good at his job and the other isn't.  I'm not for this omniscientness that seems to be wanted by some people.  To me the other way offers more things to do, more of a challenge, and thus is more fun. As for you argument of quantitative and qualitative descriptors, let me tell you right off, it is bogus.  You were going to compare a descriptive sentence containing a qualitative descriptors to two words that are admittedly close, when you could take those words and expand on them too, forming more descriptive sentences.  In fact, in writing often times you take and adjective or adverb and expand it to write a more meaningful sentence.  When dabbling in writing, I've turned single sentences into multiple paragraphs when polishing a chapter in a story.  You start out a "a massive red dragon" in the description, because generally it is better to start out simple.  You later on when you have time, expand those descriptions to like.  "Your heart is beating heavily.  There is a Red Dragon towering over you, its nostrils sending scorching air into your direction." I don't think you should know that dragons strength.  If you're are a dragon slayer, then perhaps you'd be less terrified.  Really, its never a good idea to start a fight with a massive creature, or a creature that looks very menacing and has sharp razor blade arms.  Humanoids are a different story, and you shouldn't turn it into a start game where you compare your stats to its and look at your hitpoints.  what you should do, is find where the weakest link of your enemy is.  The goblin guard that isn't paying attention and occasionally yawns, vs. the one that is focused.

quote:

quote:Now you bring up "can lift a maximum of 4000kg" into the argument, but that statement *is* descriptive not something like STR: 1000, because it has the words "can lift a maximum of" and "kilograms" in it. It is not a cold hard meaningless number. I have nothing wrong with the descriptive nature of that information, but knowing such information would be knowing something you shouldn't IMO.

Why shouldn't I know that information, or at least have some actual way to immediately, without having to refer to outside documentation, compare it to any given dwarf? I already know that barrel #15 contains 3 units of dwarven rum, while barrel #1 contains 5 plump helmets. A statement involving measurements with attached units does indeed contain more information than one without units, but having words attached to numbers don't turn it back into a qualitative descriptor.

What's the maximum poundage a chimpanzee can lift?  :P Somehow, I don't think it would be common knowledge.  Also, the maximum a creature lift would be randomly generated I assume.  I don't think two goblins should be exactly the same, especially in a computer simulation.  The dwarves are not known to carry tricorders.  But what I really find odd here is, you seem to be arguing for all the omniscientness to the game, yet you don't want it in a god mode.  ;)

Chork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2007, 01:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>BDR, it's kinda wrong to shine the spotlight on Toady like that. You leave him with either the option of dumping more work on himself to please everybody, or openly alienating people.</STRONG>

or...

c.) No action whatsoever.

Seems like the most diplomatic option at this point.

;)

[ November 09, 2007: Message edited by: Chork ]

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2007, 01:38:00 am »

I'm not against the .init file anymore.  Weather is in there, so for me to argue against it, would be meaningless, since the .init file technically already allows cheating in some sense.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

Wow, lots of arguing.

Anyway I liked spu00trb and Sean Mirrsen ideas back on page 2, yay storytelling! I, for one, think it would be interesting to see that kind of background on creatures, especially the named ones. However they don't add to and are not particularly relevant to this debate and have thus been glossed over fairly well.

I'm of the opinion that while having skills quantified rather than qualified isn't totally horrible, I wouldn't use it. Thusly offering it as a option either in the .ini or in an as yet unannounced option screen wouldn't be a bad idea.

None the less, this should be put on the back burner as it isn't as useful an addition as say armies, or an easier way to rewall.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2007, 07:09:00 am »

I would like to see stats of the creature if its more than unbelievably agile, cause it increases further, would be nice to see how much my dwarf is legendary and agile.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2007, 07:54:00 am »

As for displaying numerical stats for skill levels, I don't think this is necessary anymore. The comprehension problem of the qualitative skills is much better solved by implementing an advanced dwarf list screen where you can sort by skill level  ;)

As for the rest, they are of low enouth consequence that you don't need to know the details.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2007, 09:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gangsta Spanksta:
Okay let me cut you off right there. The description about what something can lift wasn't purely quantitative. You used words and a number to write a descriptive sentence. That is a combination.

No, it's a purely quantitative description because it includes a measurable quantity.  I have no interest in arguing this with somebody who is clearly not a scientist, and who clearly hasn't even bothered to spend the half hour it would take to learn what the difference is.

quote:
This bringing up of skills and ability scores thing is bringing up the wrong thing, since I've made it clear that you should not see the creatures ability and skills at all.

Quite frankly, I don't see why I should particularly care what your opinion on the matter is.  You obviously don't understand the difference between a qualitative and quantitative statement, nor will you even acknowledge that the current skill descriptors in Dwarf Fortress are, for the most part, totally ambiguous.

quote:
As for you argument of quantitative and qualitative descriptors, let me tell you right off, it is bogus. You were going to compare a descriptive sentence containing a qualitative descriptors to two words that are admittedly close, when you could take those words and expand on them too, forming more descriptive sentences.

Except, of course, that expanding it into prose causes nothing but a waste of reading and writing time.  Do you even understand what I mean when I refer to the difference between quantitative and qualitative statements?  One is precise, useful, and easy to gain information from, the other is not.  There's a reason that qualitative statements have little place in technical writing.

quote:
But what I really find odd here is, you seem to be arguing for all the omniscientness to the game, yet you don't want it in a god mode.

No, what I want is for the people who fall into the category of "I want limited saves because I can't help but push quicksave every ten seconds and that ruins my game" to stop trying to tell other people what features should and should not be in a game.  This is the category that you clearly fall into, since you apparently feel that your own gameplay will be ruined by other people having the option to increase the usefulness of the information the receive ingame.  I'm not sure that any game really needs to cater to people who lack this much willpower.

What I also want is for you to stop wasting my time with a bunch of useless red herrings that only illustrate that you have absolutely no understanding of the issues.  I want you to go and spend a half hour learning about the difference between quantitative and qualitative descriptors from a high school chemistry or physics textbook.  Then I want you to go back to my earlier post and actually deal with the fact that the current skill descriptors are mostly ambiguous.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Stof:
<STRONG>As for displaying numerical stats for skill levels, I don't think this is necessary anymore. The comprehension problem of the qualitative skills is much better solved by implementing an advanced dwarf list screen where you can sort by skill level   ;)

As for the rest, they are of low enouth consequence that you don't need to know the details.</STRONG>

Advanced dwarf list? That wouldnt be enough. It must cover ALL creatures, not just dwarves, besides, this suggestion has nothing to do with the numerical stat system idea. It would be a nice addition to have a new screen with infos like what you mentioned however.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

I'm sure its been said but I don't want the numeric, cut and dry version of stats. I want the type of stats that give me the impression I am LOOKING at the creature, not playing god and knowing its rolls. It's a visual estimation system currently, which is far more accurate and truthful.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

quote:

quote:Originally posted by Gangsta Spanksta:
   Okay let me cut you off right there. The description about what something can lift wasn't purely quantitative. You used words and a number to write a descriptive sentence. That is a combination.

No, it's a purely quantitative description because it includes a measurable quantity. I have no interest in arguing this with somebody who is clearly not a scientist, and who clearly hasn't even bothered to spend the half hour it would take to learn what the difference is.

There you go poisoning the well.  "Whatever you say is meaningless, because you're not a scientist."  The real irony of this is that these supposed qualitative words -- and "quantitative" and "qualitative" are most certainly qualitative -- are considered too vague when it suits your needs and then all the sudden become precise enough to define someone as being a non-scientist for sake of winning an argument.  Did you come up with this "scientific fact" by using the scientific method?  Another irony of this whole thing is that you say that the other side thinks they are better than everyone else, trying to enforce their elitist views onto other players, and then you make the argument that a non-scientist can't argue.

I do have an degree in Computer Science, but that by itself does not make me right or wrong.  I suppose it also doesn't mean I'm a scientist necessarily either; it just shows that I managed to pass my classes.  My opinion is not superior to anyone elses, and I have met smarter people than myself who were less educated.  But the simple fact remains: I do have a right to my opinion.

One thing I see here is you are trying to force me into an argument that I did not make.  I never argued that presenting the player the most precise information is superior.  I argue that some things should be vague, and that somethings should not be known by the player, such as how much a 400lb gorilla can lift.  I do, however, believe that a strictly qualitative description is more meaningful to a player than a strictly quantitative one.  That is to say: "A Muscular Dwarf." vs "A Strength 18 Dwarf." One of those requires only imagination to paint a picture, while the other requires some understanding of a certain subset of Role Playing games.  I think the first example is more meaningful to the player, while the second one is more precise, but less meaningful to the player.  That, "the giant gorilla can lift 4000lbs," is information that makes the game less realistic to me, and less fun.  I also see that as cheating, given the current system is how the game is supposed to be played.  Anyway, to fully understand the argument that some people have been making, you have to realize the difference between the words "meaningful" and "precise" because you keep arguing like we are arguing that our method would give the more precise information, while precise information is what we are arguing against.  That's not to say that everyone who disagrees with you is arguing the same thing as I am.  You also need to stop lumping us all together as the same side too.  ;)

quote:

Quite frankly, I don't see why I should particularly care what your opinion on the matter is. You obviously don't understand the difference between a qualitative and quantitative statement, nor will you even acknowledge that the current skill descriptors in Dwarf Fortress are, for the most part, totally ambiguous.

I think I got that a long time ago that you don't care about my opinion.  Above explains the thing about qualitative and quantitative.  As for the skill descriptors in Dwarf Fortress, if you have read some of my other posts not addressed to you, then you see me agreeing that some of those are ambiguous.  But I also think I said -- or at least meant to have said -- that the those skill levels become clear when at the beginning of the game you add points to your dwarf. These 'skills' you talk about I sort of see as 'character classes' and I have also formed the distinction between those and a player abilities such as strength.  I've mentioned several times that I think a creatures levels should remain hidden, none of this "a 8th level goblin guard standing next to a 3rd level goblin guard" stuff.  Also, I said I didn't mind a quantitative value on those, after drew the distinction.  The character levels, including multiclasses "Miner/Fisherdwarf" should only be seen for the players own dwarves.

quote:

Except, of course, that expanding it into prose causes nothing but a waste of reading and writing time. Do you even understand what I mean when I refer to the difference between quantitative and qualitative statements? One is precise, useful, and easy to gain information from, the other is not. There's a reason that qualitative statements have little place in technical writing.

First off, I draw a distinction between something being Meaningful and Precise.  Furthermore, I do not like being drawn into the absolutes.  When I was arguing, initially I was talking about character abilities like: Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, etc.  Then people started talking about character classes and levels.  I am against revealing those for the most part.  I am for revealing things you gain from observation.  Also, I like vagueness in some description.  If you ask me how good someone is at fishing. the answer should be: pittiful, bad, poor, okay, decent, good, very good, great, excellent.  You don't have to have all that many level, in fact I may have went overboard (requires testing).  Knowing someone is a "decent fisherman" is more meaningful to me than knowing that someone has "43" on their fishing skills.  That is if the system is 0 to a 100.  If I programmed the game to do 0 to 4,294,967,296 for the fishing skill, I would have to translate that back into human terms anyways to read 0 to 100.

quote:

quote:But what I really find odd here is, you seem to be arguing for all the omniscientness to the game, yet you don't want it in a god mode.

No, what I want is for the people who fall into the category of "I want limited saves because I can't help but push quicksave every ten seconds and that ruins my game" to stop trying to tell other people what features should and should not be in a game. This is the category that you clearly fall into, since you apparently feel that your own gameplay will be ruined by other people having the option to increase the usefulness of the information the receive ingame. I'm not sure that any game really needs to cater to people who lack this much willpower.

Wrong. I don't fall into the definition you set, because I have never argued for excluding the feature.  I have always argued that I wouldn't mind the feature, but that I think that it should be in a wizard mode, mainly to draw a distinction between how the game is intended to be played, vs. playing the game with say no weather.  I just want it to be made clear that it isn't intended game play, so that people won't do such things like bragging in the forums about beating the game in a frozen world, when they had turned weather off.  

You know, you have this real tendency to put words into my mouth. :/

quote:

What I also want is for you to stop wasting my time with a bunch of useless red herrings that only illustrate that you have absolutely no understanding of the issues. I want you to go and spend a half hour learning about the difference between quantitative and qualitative descriptors from a high school chemistry or physics textbook. Then I want you to go back to my earlier post and actually deal with the fact that the current skill descriptors are mostly ambiguous.

I am not the only one with who you were arguing with.  I often times felt, in this argument, that you were confusing me with some other people who were arguing against you, with who I didn't agree with 100%.  There are more than two sides arguing here.  I am not going to be forced into an argument of quantitative vs qualitative on how precise each can be, when I am arguing about meaningfulness not preciseness, and I want information to be displayed less precise.  Besides that, I also don't believe in absolutes; it is a case by case thing, and there is an exception for most every rule.  This kind of reminds me of earlier, when you said that I favored Realism over fun, and I had to say that it was case by case, that realism and fun aren't mutually exclusive, and in some case something unrealistic is not fun.  I wish you wouldn't over generalize on somethings, especially when it comes to what I think.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12