Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tileset tools  (Read 3728 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset tools
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:10 pm »

I had an idea for a program that could generate a tileset of any size from any font (including non-fixed-width - it would be trivial to center the characters in the box), with or without antialiasing. Would anyone find such a thing useful?

(I'll probably end up writing at least part of the functionality anyway, there are some things I want to do with antialiasing on tilesets i plan on posting)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:32:40 pm by Random832 »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset generator - interested?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

You should do this - making your own tileset is not that hard, but every help is welcomed.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »

About that non-fixed-width thing.  What about characters that are supposed to take up the whole tile...like walls?  Do you still center them, or stretch them?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »

I, for one, would find such a utility very useful.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:37:12 pm »

About that non-fixed-width thing.  What about characters that are supposed to take up the whole tile...like walls?  Do you still center them, or stretch them?

My plan is to have different font/offset/size parameters for the line drawing characters and trust the users to provide values that extend past the edge of the box. (I'm also going to have box characters - i.e. rough walls - as a special case and just draw them rather than using the characters from the font)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:43:20 pm »

hmmm... if this were availvable, i just might make my own set... sounds cool
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:20:41 am »

hmmm... if this were availvable, i just might make my own set... sounds cool

I've got a first version that I'm happy with, though it's still got some rough edges - anyone know where i can upload it? And anyone know how to find out if a font is missing a character in .NET? Right now it just falls back to some other font I can't identify.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:23:17 am by Random832 »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset generator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:10:07 am »

there's the DF File Depot: http://dffd.wimbli.com/, can't help with .NET programming tho
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:54:31 am »

Sounds interesting, I would use it..at least until Toady separates txt/gfx, because I will work on a high quality graphical mod after that point.  :)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

Sounds interesting, I would use it..at least until Toady separates txt/gfx, because I will work on a high quality graphical mod after that point.  :)

Same here, I plan to use big tiles and everything as well.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:18:14 am »

Same here, I plan to use big tiles and everything as well.

Yeah, I am very good with Photoshop thankfully..and I plan to make a 32x32 tileset, but not until txt/gfx is separated, I don't like the "half assed" gfx/txt presenation, so until that point, I am playing in ASCII mode.  :)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:45:13 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=817

I'd like to note that I doubt the wiki or the DFFD would appreciate being flooded with hundreds of mediocre tileset variations, so try to keep it reasonable everyone  :)

Release notes:

First version. Requires .NET Framework 2.0. This version doesn't do separate linedraw character font/offset settings, doesn't do horizontal stretching of fonts, and doesn't have any control over what fallback font is used for characters that are missing from the font. (Also doesn't have any features I haven't thought of yet)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:56:52 pm by Random832 »

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:59:07 pm »

Random832: You might not've noticed; can be hard to sometimes. I sent you a private message related to this thread; would you please answer?
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset tools
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »

Uploaded new version.

Release notes: This adds a tool requested by Savok, which can remove lines from between rows/columns and stuff around the edges, and can convert from grayscale to transparency (any pure gray, including black, will become white transparent proportional to its brightness - to keep a grayscale pixel solid, set one of the red/green/blue values to be slightly different from the others)

Slight changes to the layout on the font-based generation tool.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset tools
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 09:39:18 pm »

Another version, same page as before. Added a separate alpha channel tool for converting to transparent PNG; Mode A is as described above (and will work for bitmaps generated from the font-based tileset generator with antialias settings other than cleartype), Mode B treats magenta as transparent (only works with blends between a pure gray and magenta, i.e. (R = B) > G; all other colors will be treated as solid)

Here's a palette you can use - a 10x8 image with a 45-color palette containing 12-step scales between black/white, black/magenta, and white/magenta, and 7-step scales between #c0c0c0/magenta and #808080/magenta.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4554/palettesj8.png

Also added support for stretching fonts horizontally - Not guaranteed that this will always work with the proportional font support code.
Pages: [1] 2