Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Rainseeker's Succession  (Read 8847 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rainseeker's Succession
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 09:09:46 pm »

I posted in the joining(first) thread and after looking here I figured i would probably get accepted...
but do we honestly need an ocean fort? you guys have no idea how weird it can get, there's no wood, (just a bunch of driftwood but i haven't found a way to use that) you can't really dig deep down or your tunnels will flood so  maintaining a normal fort without everyone going emo and jumping into the ocean would be practically impossible.

I don't agree with this being impossible at all. An ocean fort is something different, with it's own challenges, if we get the right spot we should be able to have fun with it, and make a fortress that's a little different than every other fort out there.

As to driftwood, yes there is a lot of that on the beach that you can't do anything with, but I expect the sparse covering of wood on the normal landscape above the beach will be where we find out first few beds, with trading handling the rest that we need. As long as we arn't using it for fuel we should be fine.

The ocean flooding the mines thing shouldn't be a problem either, you can dig under an ocean quite easily as long as you don't penetrate the wall/floor of an aquifier or the ocean itself. Half the map we build on won't be ocean anyway, and without an aqufier we can dig down as deep as we can go. With no fear of tunnel flooding unless someone breaks intentionally into a damp wall, and then it's probably save scum time anyway.

And even so, everyone going 'emo' and jumping into the ocean, might make for a hilarious end to a fort :) can't hurt to try.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:12 pm »

Bah, by the end of my rule the ocean will be gone!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 09:24:32 pm »

No world flooding, lava or water.  It slows things down and it's cheap.

I think killing the ocean would go under that rule XD

It's an interesting thought though if the magma we have is a pipe, set up pumps to bring it up to the cliff face, and start pouring it over the cliff onto the beach, and see how much obsidian we can make XD

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:50 pm »

Bah, by the end of my rule the ocean will be gone!
Hmph, now THAT is optimistic... unless we have a volcano getting rid of the ocean will be highly improbable (note the fact that i didn't use the word "impossible"). it also seems to me that half of the dwarves will be working their rear ends off at craft shops if we don't want every dwarf thinking "slept on the rock floor recently"

EDIT: woops, we probably posted at the same time...
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »

Who needs lava? I have already fulfilled my desire for a magma island(It rocks, by the way), and thus this project will not need it. You shall see my plan soon...

If we make it that far.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »

Do not fear, I am here. I am going to download said map right now and begin my reign as king of the sea. The map I started was pretty funny though. We started on a tiny as hell peninsula that connected to the mainland, and a tide was coming in so everyone sprinted off the beach and a good ammount of our shit was thrown into the ocean. Including the horse I believe. Now its a sea horse. Ba dum cha. Or just fucking dead. One of the two.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »

Now that we have a map we should probably list our strong points at fortress building and make list of who goes first from that, no point in having some military strongman cripple a farming system,
my strong points are space saving fortress design and early fortress survival, that includes setting up a good brewing system and creating a living area, taping into brook (or in this case oceans) to make wells is something i'm good at and i have read quite a bit about water filtering techniques.

also, if i could request ONE thing, no mega projects like the boatmurdered gecko or the statue shaped room of statues.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:08:19 pm by sava2004 »

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:02 pm »

Well, I'm first up, but I need a bit of help, I noticed you fixed the "Cat too injured" bug, however, I can't seem to find the .txt to add the [mouth] tag. I tried opening it under the data menu, but it does that obscure font when I try to open it in notepad. Any suggestions?
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »

Nevermind, found it. Starting now.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 11:09:17 pm »

wait.. we started already?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 11:23:35 pm »

wait.. we started already?

I guess so. As far as I know  the order is as such:

Flashzom(year 1)
Vincent(year 2)
Rainseeker(year 3)
Haika(year 4)

There's a list of who is involved on the first post, but in another order than what is talked about in the post. And another scattered listing of people interested in the other post as well.

As to rules:
No massive fields of traps
No atom smashers
Starting location can't freeze or boil (heh). [ This one should be taken care of, we are warm and steady in the embark from what I can see ]
No killing caravans please.
No world flooding, lava or water.  It slows things down and it's cheap.

Those are what Rain and Flash mentioned at the start of this thread. I will leave further rules to Rain as he's the namesake of this game. He may have a list of things I don't have, or different rules/player listings.

One thing I would like to vote for is a time limit on turns of 1 week. With the limit resetting when you post that you know it's your turn and will take it(if you don't post within the first week you get skipped, but if you post on like the 6th day and say I'm just now starting, you then get a week from that post, max two weeks for any one turn, to keep it moving.)

edit: And a tileset was mentioned for use from Here
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:33:56 pm by Haika »

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »

Not a problem. Chances are I'll have my turn done by tomorrow.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

If nobody minds, I'm going to use my own tileset for this. I'll change it back after, but expect my screenshots to look a little more... rounded in the corners.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 11:43:54 pm »

I call 5'th place! hopefully someone will fix the tree problem by then... and the aquifier... and the lack of stone... and the lack of drinking water.. etc...

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »

Hey gentlemen!  Just got back.  :)  Okay, unless someone starts doing something really lame, we don't need any more rules for now.  Just remember to name a dwarf after you when you end your turn (or some time during).

Directions:
1. Play your turn as quickly as you can.  People are excited to do their turn.
2. Email the data files to me and include your return address.  My email is posted.
3. When you are the next person, email me your address so I can send you the file.  If I don't hear from you after you are informed of your turn in a day or so, you may get skipped, and put into the next turn.
4. Use multiple screenshots during your reign, and have fun describing and posting what you did and what happened.
5. Beware the zombie whales...

Oh, and Flash, can you please post a pic of our continent and our fortress before being started?

Now go and sun yourself!  ...just watch for skeletal crabs.   :o
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8