Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Adamantine bow?  (Read 8040 times)

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine bow?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »

This thread confuses me... not because of the modding but because of the debate about reflexive properties.

Metals do have 'reflexive properties', we make springs out of them...
And a bow is, by definition, a spring. (It's a little hard to imagine but it is true)
Also, we do make bows out of metal.

So the only argument you have is that Adamantium is a special case in that it has absolutely no elastic region when it deforms. This is a little weird a claim because Toady made up the Adamantium in DF and I don't think has said anything of the sort...

Sorry about that, semi-rant over...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:52 pm »

I believe that if you give a civ WOOD_PREF, but not outdoor farming, they'll use random metals.  Including DEEP ones.

Huh.

That's a good bug, then.
It's also one that's been know for awhile.  And you'd think pointing out that SOCKS can be made from ADAMANTINE would have been a good clue that an adamantine bow would work, but it wasn't . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »

I believe that if you give a civ WOOD_PREF, but not outdoor farming, they'll use random metals.  Including DEEP ones.

Huh.

That's a good bug, then.
It's also one that's been know for awhile.  And you'd think pointing out that SOCKS can be made from ADAMANTINE would have been a good clue that an adamantine bow would work, but it wasn't . . .
I suppose this is why we have Awsomeantium threads then, huh.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »

Doooo it......
Slow down there kid, he already did it! I think that is the point of this thread.

But yes, a good way to break a game by including materials that you have in the RAW's but are not intended to ever be mined or used outside their single use. Like metals that are perpetually boiling. Imagine starting with a weapon boiling in your hands.
But he didn't.

In this case, it just so happens that when he modded those raw files along with others, he got his bug.

We still don't know what else he may have modded.

Four new races, Including avians, five megabeasts, several plants, Mythril, A new steel alloy, and a Mythril/Adamantium alloy (If it can be called that).

And, after this, took my "War golem" megabeast and made a civ out of it, becoming a machine of destruction with an adamantine bow, masterwork iron great axe, and a Mythril/Adamantium alloy shield, with several quivers to store things it.

AND IT WAS AWESOME.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 08:16:44 am »

If you want to know how Adamantine socks work then Ill tell you... as it is rather obvious.

You guys ever have a metal watch? Notice how the metal strands stretch?

Well Adamantine socks work exactly like that!

The Adamantine bows function in a similar method.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »

I think we covered that with adamantine bowstrings, with the strands being flexible until put into wafers/bars/whatever.

Besides, metal doesn't stretch. It's elastic that allows the watches to stretch, silly.
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »

I think we covered that with adamantine bowstrings, with the strands being flexible until put into wafers/bars/whatever.

Besides, metal doesn't stretch. It's elastic that allows the watches to stretch, silly.
   :(
No.  Metal bends.  How do you think metal crossbows work?  Metal does have some elastic properties too, as it is MALLEABLE.  Means it bends and stretches.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 06:09:44 pm »

No.  Metal bends.  How do you think metal crossbows work?  Metal does have some elastic properties too, as it is MALLEABLE.  Means it bends and stretches.

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about. Ever heard of Hooke's law, people? It is a way of representing the elastic deformation of a material. It holds for metals too. Seriously, I recently had to recap all of this in a lab session where I was stretching metal bars and everything.
Crossbows (and normal bows) are mechanically the same as a spring. Springs do tend to be made of metal.

Can this part of the discussion end now? It isn't really the matter at hand.
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Bow-for-50lb-Crossbow/dp/B000AM4ZX6
Enough... debate... please...

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »

I never said metal doesn't bend. Metal can bend, and in the cases of some metals, will snap back into place if bent. This is the principle springs work on.

I guess you're right about the stretching, but that barely accounts for crossbows, and it doesn't stretch nearly enough to be used as an elastic. It'll still snap under conditions where an elastic of the same tensile strengh would stretch.

Besides, Adamantine is supposed to be harder stronger than everything else. If it had properties that allowed it to snap back freely, your socks would want to keep their original shape all the time, and make for some very wearer-unfriendly clothing. Cloth normally just goes with the flow, and this is what I assume adamantine cloth does when not made into bars. When it is made out of bars, it stays rigid, and assumes whatever shape it is pounded into. If pounded into a new shape, it won't snap back, because if it did, It'd be really, really hard and impractical to even try to bend it a little. This is why if a crossbow's arms were made out of adamantine, the crossbow would be practiucally useless, becuse the adamantine wouldn't snap back. The best I can think of for an adamantine crossbow is the same as a andamantine bow: a regular crossbow with adamntine guards on the arms to make it tougher to break.

Lastly, Debating about a fictional metal is silly. I'm not sure why I'm doing it, and will cease.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:42:09 pm by Vincent »
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:52 pm »

Wrong again Vincent;  Adamantine is strong, not hard.  Two different things.  Diamonds, for example, are extremely hard, yet a sword made of diamond would shatter against one made of steel.  Adamantine is strong meaning it won't come to pieces as easily.  And thin strands of it woven together wouldn't be as elastic as a thick spring made of it.  Thickness has a lot to do with it.  If you have ever tried bending a card without leaving a crease, you know that you can only do it so far before the card is permanently bent.  The same thing applies to bows and crossbows; they normally aren't bent far enough to cause a permanent change of shape.  If they are bent farther than that, the new shape becomes permanent and the bow is useless.
In short, there are a lot more factors playing into this than you seem to be aware of.
Just so I remember

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 06:40:38 pm »

I didn't have science this term. Sue me.

Also, That's what I meant by hard.
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:41:55 pm »

I didn't have science this term. Sue me.
My lawyers will be at your house as soon as we trace the IP address. We will see you in Dwarven court.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 06:43:37 pm »

Look, I admit I was wrong. The topic is resolved, since we figured out why the hell my archer had a bow he wan't supposed to have. Just let it die.
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 11:54:43 pm »

adamantium bow is awesome as a random starting thing. pity the material does not affect the bow shooting damage, only the damage when you hit things with it in melee.

also, have you got a thread in the mod forum or do you have your new files up on the file depo? ive never played anything but vanilla DF and this sounds like a mod that is interesting and not too world changing.

and whenever the properties of adamantium come up there is bound to be heated discussion. seeing as all we know about it is its a light blue, its mined as an ore, strands are extracted, the strands can be woven into cloth, it is 5 times stronger then iron, it is smelted into wafers rather then bars for use, its melting temperature is stupidly high, and it comes from the word adamant, whose root meaning is unbreakable.

i allways imagined it starts in a form somewhat like asbestos, which occurs naturally as fibers in the ground, has a stupidly high melting point, and can be woven into cloth. the romans used to impress guests by taking their asbestos tablecloth and throwing it into the fireplace to clean it, and they would wrap the bodies of their emporers in it before cremating them, to make certain that they could seperate the emperors ashes from whatever they used to burn him. its sortof a parralel, as adamantium clothing survives when dwarves are set on fire or fall into magma.

wonder if this means dwarves who work with it would end up with lungfulls of adamantium fibres like our real world asbestos workers. hmmm. more precious then gold or platunum, super strong, and oh so deadly to its crafters.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:32 am »

Doesn't the weapon not affect the damage the projectile does? That bow would be good for hand-ta-hand combat, but otherwise...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5