Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Adamantine bow?  (Read 7940 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine bow?
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »

Two tiny simple thoughts for all the people debating the properties of a fictional metal.
Second, kevlar.  A very real fabric that bends, cuts, and molds easily.  When a significant impulse is applied it becomes rigid.  This form of instant rigidity is what allows it to stop bullets.  For those that don't quite know Physics, impulse refers to either side of the equation Ft=mv.

I can do you one better. Water. Water is a liquid yes, but when more force is applied to it, the harder it becomes. You know that movie where that guy kills the psycho's wife, so the psycho attempts to kill him? And the scene where he jumps from the helicopter into the pool? Well, the problem with that is that water becomes harder at the higher the velocity something hits it. So, for example, he'd basically be better off hitting the concrete next to the pool, because that'd be softer than the water. Bullets that strike water, shatter into pieces at a very shallow depth because of the water forms a barrier.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2009, 12:04:18 am »

Kinda like this stuff.

I'm planning on buying a suit with d3o insert pads on the shoulders, neck, elbows, hips, buttox, and knees this summer or so.  About $330 for a shirt and pair of pants, plus a $60 pair of sleeves in case I suddenly want the protection but don't want to take my shirt off to put the protective shirt on.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2009, 12:21:11 am »

Related to what you said Axe, Ice actually contains quite a bit of friction in it and isn't slippery at all normally.

The reason it is so easy to slip on it however is because Ice quickly melts under Skates and shoes creating a water surface which decreases the friction.

If the Ice didn't melt it wouldn't be that much different then stone.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 07:12:13 pm »

The latter comment in my previous post was largely unrelated to the former comment.  Interesting to know, though
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:12 am »

I remember hearing about people complain how the ice in some cold ass place isn't slippery. It's under -20 for the whole winter. Sometimes dipping into -50. The ice never gets above 0.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2009, 02:20:07 pm »

I remember hearing about people complain how the ice in some cold ass place isn't slippery. It's under -20 for the whole winter. Sometimes dipping into -50. The ice never gets above 0.
that must be tough, not slipping on ice.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 06:24:23 am »

That ice also hurts more when you fall on it. But since it's not slippery, you don't fall. So physics fail.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:58 pm »

hmm... ya know I find it cooler that adamantine can only shatter, if another metal was to come in stronger than it(read, be modded in) , it'd be quite an epic thing to see like your master champion swordsdwarf aim a slash at this goblin only to have his blow parried and his sword shatter into 10 separate pieces :P

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:05 pm »

For now, not having studied the raws, the way I always thought of it, Adamantine is kinda like "Artifact Material".  It doesn't matter what the item or task is, it is extremely good at it.  And the craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.   ;D

It...hmm...it doesn't have physical qualities so much as it has narrative qualities.  Adamantine swords are the best, whatever that means.  Adamantine socks are the best, whatever that means.  That kinda thing.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 03:33:21 pm »

I've never had a sword shatter.  Can that actually happen?
Shoes...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:51 pm »

No.  I think item degradation only happens from temperature damage, rot/exposure, and wear (as in literally being worn on the body).  I probably missed a couple, but anyway, it doesn't happen in combat.

Toady might be implementing weapon/armor degradation and damage for the next release, depending on what he feels like when he goes back to finish the Wounds/Combat stuff.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:21 pm »

I think clothing items also degrade by being moved around in water or some such.  So carefull sending the washing machine on your clothing stockpiles.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »

No.  I think item degradation only happens from temperature damage, rot/exposure, and wear (as in literally being worn on the body).  I probably missed a couple, but anyway, it doesn't happen in combat.

Toady might be implementing weapon/armor degradation and damage for the next release, depending on what he feels like when he goes back to finish the Wounds/Combat stuff.
Obsidian swords will be nerfed in this way.  They break.  Really quickly.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]