Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you view female dwarves as having beards?

Yes.
- 131 (51.2%)
No.
- 96 (37.5%)
I don't view either gender as having facial hair.
- 2 (0.8%)
What the hell is a dwarve?
- 11 (4.3%)
I think Toady said something about this one time, and I'm too spineless to make a wrong guess that might contradict DF canon.
- 16 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 256

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?  (Read 16886 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Picture Female Dwarfs as Having Beards?
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:04 am »

Look, if female dwarves didn't have beards, then people wouldn't be able to like female dwarves for their beards.  I mean, [PREFSTRING:beards]!  How can someone like a species for a feature only half of them have?!

I like women for there breasts.

And, if they have it, there intellegence, goodwill and friendlyness. But breasts are a definite plus.
Well too bad 'cause human women are the only real creatures whose women have those.  Other creatures have things that function like that, but they are different.  And you mean "their" not "there"; the latter is used for stuff like "over there."
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2009, 11:32:32 am »

On the subject of Pratchett, anyone thinking of picking him up should take a look at the reading order guide, since he has so many books.  You don't have to follow the guide STRICTLY, in that technically, each book is self contained, but books later in a chain will make references to earlier books, and have characters from earlier books.

I highly recommend the Watch series, in particular.  The book "Night Watch" is, in my opinion, one of the greatest stories I've ever read-- pity you have to read a bunch of earlier books to really appreciate it. Actually, with regards to the watch series, I think it doesn't really hit stride until the 2nd book, "Men at Arms", which makes a decent starter book in itself.

The reason DF players in particular should read these books (particularly the watch series) is because he writes the most detailed dwarves I have ever seen.  Detailed in culture, thought process, prejudices, government, religion, views on magic, and so on and so forth.  And while being so detailed, it never goes completely counter to what the collective fantasy consciousness knows about dwarves.  In fact, it takes the cliches and turns them into something deeply real in your head.

The dwarven Feminist* Revolution in particular is a must read.

*Widdershins-Feminist would probably be the better term...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »

Hey, that list leaves off Making Money.  That's the sequel to Going Postal.
It should probably be mentioned that those are only Discworld books; it doesn't mention his other works.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zeful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2009, 04:28:57 pm »

I HAVE NOT READ THIS TOPIC

But I can already say, that I hate every person who don't imagine dwarves with beards ON A PERSONAL MANNER, very, very deeply.

I might forgive you some day when you know that dwarves DO have beards. ALWAYS.
Yes, because your opinion actually means something important. I will be forever scarred by you, a random person on the internet, denying me your approval.

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklin for sale.

In other news, no I never picture dwarven women with beards. I play D&D, and dwarven women aren't pictured there with beards.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »

If dwarven women don't have beards in the next release, will it also be changed so that they are represented by a beardless face in-game?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2009, 04:53:58 pm »

I HAVE NOT READ THIS TOPIC

But I can already say, that I hate every person who don't imagine dwarves with beards ON A PERSONAL MANNER, very, very deeply.

I might forgive you some day when you know that dwarves DO have beards. ALWAYS.
In other news, no I never picture dwarven women with beards. I play D&D, and dwarven women aren't pictured there with beards.
D&D?  My brother has played D&D.  He's also read Pratchett.  Guess which image he prefers? 

Always bearded.  Pratchett beats D&D, because D&D doesn't satirize D&D players.  Pratchett does (maybe not specifically, but hints at it).

BEARDS ARE MIGHT!
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2009, 05:03:12 pm »

I've got a bridge in Brooklin for sale.
Where the hell is Brooklin?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »

On the subject of Pratchett, anyone thinking of picking him up should take a look at the reading order guide, since he has so many books.  You don't have to follow the guide STRICTLY, in that technically, each book is self contained, but books later in a chain will make references to earlier books, and have characters from earlier books.
I however would recommend anyone with enough patience to read the books in the published order (that makes reading the next in a "series" even better because of the waiting between episodes ;)), because even in a "self contained series" they make reference to some chronological events on the other books, and I've found a couple confusing times because I was reading, say all of the Witch books, then all of the Watch books and it was like I went back in time :P

I highly recommend the Watch series, in particular.  The book "Night Watch" is, in my opinion, one of the greatest stories I've ever read-- pity you have to read a bunch of earlier books to really appreciate it. Actually, with regards to the watch series, I think it doesn't really hit stride until the 2nd book, "Men at Arms", which makes a decent starter book in itself.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. This series probably has the most fun, varied and interesting characters, also the ones that have the most character growth. Also a good reason is that it's usually the series that explores more the species relationships and conflicts, especially dwarves and trolls. Another good series is the ones about Death, but it's usually someone else in the spotlight rather than himself and they're not half as interesting.

The Rincewind series is good if you like a lot more slapstick style of humor, and the witches, well, if you like smartass elderly women :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 05:39:58 pm by Sergius »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »

Do you guys mod the game to fit your favorite author? DF has it's own canon and I sometimes wonder if you remember that

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »

Oh no, the cannibalistic elves and friendly goblins are clearly taken from stereotypical fantasy literature. ::)

At least we can mod it to our own sensibilities!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:03 pm »

Do you guys mod the game to fit your favorite author? DF has it's own canon and I sometimes wonder if you remember that
No, I don't.  But there are some basic things that are just brilliant and can't ever be bettered (at least not within this lifetime).  Dwarves have little gender dimorphism and few sex roles, for example.

Besides, the majority opinion believes that dwarves have beards.  53%
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:20:30 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

What's your point?

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:50 pm »

I imagine them with beards, but without moustaches. So they have chin-beards. I dunno why. It makes sense in my head.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:09 pm »

What's your point?
That they should have beards.
Just so I remember

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2009, 09:49:36 pm »

That they should have beards.
Toady's opinion is the one that matters when it comes to adding things to vanilla DF.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15