Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: A Book to be Judged by the Cover - a visual RPG  (Read 17370 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: A Book to be Judged by the Cover - a visual RPG
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:12:58 pm »

No, the quality is OK, but this is an RPG not a thread for posting all your random images, and you said you were going to do pixel art and they don't look like pixel art to me, and thus they are not even relevant as an example.

Edit: to clarify: You don't need to be an artist or even have any skill at drawing, but you shuld still try to put some effort in (you don't need any skill to clutter the image whit random informative details, or make a background), read the rules (A sheet is supposed to have the name of the character, and no other text), and to not clutter the thread whit irrelevant things.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:17:30 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:14:54 pm »

I'm not an excellent artist (I do paint drawings, but I detail them a bit), but I'll join in! I'll post a "character sheet" in a little while, just wanted to reserve a spot in case a sudden explosion of applicants appeared.

Oh, and also, thanks for the lil' add on to the end of the intro ;)

EDIT: scratch that, the picture might be posted tomorrow. Want to make sure the beginning image is good, and I have a rather large test to take tomorrow, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:08:01 am by Vaiolis »
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:18:14 pm »

I said I can do pixel art, then inaluct posted his guy, so I thought we were comparing.  Calm down man.  If you actually expect every post in a forum game to be exactly related to activity then you're going to be sorely disappointed.  And I didn't see that part of the rules, since you've been updating it over the past few minutes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »

Okay, how's this? It is my character among his belongings, in his cave. Pictured are his favorite pick (on the wall pegs), miner diploma (smaller framed object), cactus, desk, and framed favorite saying; "Never Let Them See You Cry." His helmet has a green cross on it and is yellow, as you can plainly see.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 11:27:25 pm »

That's good, just ad the name in some nice font and it's a good sheet, it gives enough information to form a preconception to base more detail of, and it has an emotion to. (the emotion is pontifically the lack of emotion, which is a perfectly valid emotion.)

Vallios: it is well deserved.

so, 4 players in if everyone who answered "maybe" are going to join, we need preferably double that amount, and even after that as mentioned in the introduction post new sheets are accepted even after that.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 11:52:05 pm »

I'll join up.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:04:16 am by Grek »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:10 am »

I have decided to call him Vabok. His childhood was a troubled one; when he was born without a beard, his father's grief could not be assuaged even by the fortress's legendary dining room. Vabok's father, a miner named Dumed, fell into a deep depression and began to drink sparingly. He frequently beat Vabok, and that caused the dwarf child to cling to his macedwarf mother, following her everywhere she went.

When he was 9 years old, he saw his mother die violently attempting to defend the fortress from a goblin siege. As he turned to flee from the goblins, a snatcher grabbed him. Fortunately, he was rescued by Thikud Cogurist, an axedwarf. Young Vabok adopted Thikud as a sort of foster father, to compensate for his dead mother and sober father.

Unfortunately, Thikud was destined to be torn apart by a bronze colossus two years later. Vabok, by then a Miner and Novice Mechanic, was at that time having an argument with his abusive father, Dumed. Seeing his son's grief stricken reaction to the news of Thikud's death, Dumed flew into a rage. Had he not raised his son as best he could, given his crippling deformity? Had he not cared for him, fed him, and taught him the importance of footwear? Dumed could not bear his ungrateful son's emotions, and fled to a far corner of the fortress.

The fight had made both of them realize something, however; despite their less than perfect relationship, they were father and son, and were united by a stronger bond than nearly any other.

Both of them traveled later to the residential area of the fortress, seeking reconciliation. As they saw each other in the hallway, a catastrophic cave in smashed through the ceiling, sending a chunk of rock flying into Dumed. Mortally wounded, his last words to his only child were, "I love you, son."

Vabok is sure of only one thing in his life: He doesn't care about anything anymore.

On the inside, though, he just wants to open up and be loved, whether he knows or accepts it or not.

Yes, I am aware that this is overdoing it. None of the other characters should know this stuff unless my character launches into an explanation (read: comic strip) of his past, which is unlikely to happen under normal conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:51 am »

Not to be a bother, but coming up with a character would be easier if we knew what the setting is.  Vaguely Dwarf Fortressy?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:35 am »

Thats perfect Inaluct, acording to the rules the back story isn't technically cannon until he says it but it fits perfectly whit the image so there is no reason it shouldn't be true.

Aqizzar: The setting is decided depending on what characters I get, just do something that looks cool, is easy to draw in various techniques and levels of quality, and that could plausibly exist in the same universe as Vabok. None of these are requirements just recommendations for being likely to get in. Oh, and to overpowered stuff is a minus to.

I don't want to make an actual rule of this yet, but probably art quality/emotionality will work almost like dice rolls or points or levels in most game systems, so that if you do superiorly awesome art you can get away whit more overpowered stuff. The quality Inaluct has is quite good for what level of power his character is, so it's not a cripple, art quality just gives you more power you can do perfectly fine without it, but if you want to make a demigod you probably need to be a professional artist. This'd also mean that the equivalent of raising in level is learning to draw better.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 12:36:13 am »

Image added!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:31 am »

That's a good enough image, but you forgot the name, people seem prone to this.

Edit: Spelllling
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 12:41:28 am »

Huzzah! Although my character is going to probably totally refuse to show any emotions in nearly all situations, I think I might either show fragments of the back story in dream form every once in a while, or maybe have him have a breakdown at some point, like when he witnesses something reminiscent of his past, or reminiscent of what he wished his past had been.

Also, I want to try and draw EVERYTHING in Paint. Just to try and form a style. That picture was (as far as I know) my first drawing on a computer that took more than about a minute. I guess I might move into using Gimp or Photoshop for some things, but I also want to learn how to make nice looking effects with very simple tools.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:44:11 am by inaluct »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:32 am »

Something tells me you have a chance to end up one of the most powerful characters in the game, if I implement some of those rules, and you go through whit that, and no actual artist joins. As i said, if I implement those rules learning to draw will be the equivalent of levelling.

Edit: oh, and because I consider self-limiting like only using paint to count towards quality rank.
And I recommend GIMP, I learned computer drawing on photoshop and now I have to relearn everything in GIMP, even if you have photoshop it still costs money to buy new versions all the time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:03:51 am by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 01:04:52 am »

Name added.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:51 am »

good. Now to figure out if he's the fast or the slow kind of zombie, and his intelligence... but I guess it's my problem and/or it'll be decided by what actions you try.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11