Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: A Book to be Judged by the Cover - a visual RPG  (Read 17364 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
A Book to be Judged by the Cover - a visual RPG
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:23:57 pm »

INTRODUCTION

Ok, so I got this idea a while ago, a image says more than a thousand words right? and some things get really confusing to describe, or even cant be described at all, so what if you did an RPG based on images rather than words?
First I thought to do it over IRC, but making a good image really takes time, so it is really more fit as an email or forum game. And here we are. Also, I am trying to learn to draw and something like this would provide loads of training.

So, this a test of the system, but hopefully it'll turn into out an interesting story and possibly the makings of good artwork as well. I havnt decided on starting situation or setting yet and I will base that on what PCs I get.
In order to get some control of content I'll wait until I got maybe 6-8 players (or I fear the thread risks dieing) and then chose 3-4 as the starting party, even after the game starts people will ALWAYS be able to enter new characters and I might or might not include them as I see fit, presumably asking over PM if the player is still interested in case a long time has passed.
For what to expect, it very much depends on the setting, but maybe you could have a look at this nice RPG.

SETTING
-undefined-
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:30:45 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: A Book to be Judged by the Cover - a visual RPG
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »

RULES

Every turn begins when the GM posts an image of what has happened and the current state of events, the players respond by posting pictures of what their characters want/will try to make happen next turn, the GM takes this into consideration for the next turn. failure and success is completely up to the GM and there are no dice rolls or stats. Only images are canon, never plain text, the GM can completely pretend to not know of any spoken or written language at all, likewise text by the GM is more helpful info than actually part of the game.

There will be various types of images, for stuff like combat classic 3d scenes will be used, for travel maps (whit Indiana Jones style red lines!), etc.

Conversation (this includes both talking, stuff like laughing/sneezing/other sounds, and silent communication whit facial expressions and glares only) is probably the thing most strictly governed by the rules as it involves text by necessity, and will be done in a format familiar to most players of computer games: a box whit a portrait of the characters expression on one side and text on the other, the portrait can be reused if you like but you are absolutely urged to make a new one for each unique facial expression, the portrait can be either full body or only the face (generally, you'll draw the full body when gestures or body language is especially important, and not otherwise), the box should still be an image file, feel free to use whatever colouration, fonts, distortion, glowystuff and whatever to gestalt the characters exact voice.
Talking is a free action, and players are free to converse by alternately posting new speech boxes whitoute GM intervention, this is the only ting players can do solely by themselves, and from that follows that each turn has only speechbox images, one action image for each character, and one GM image.

Each turn you are supposed to post a SINGLE image, HOWEVER an image whit many felds or parts is counted as one, and you can draw the character several times on the same image or  any number of other tricks to get the information content of several images into this single one.

All my talk might have made you worried you need to be able to draw to play this, that is not the case, it'll just help a lot, stick figures made in paint whit the mouse are perfectly acceptable, however please put some effort into it even if you fail skill wise, and if you cant draw please note this is an excellent opportunity to LEARN. (after all, that's half the reason I starting this)

about the art form, ANY visual medium is allowed. Stick figures whit the mouse in paint? fine! Photo realistic oil paintings? Fine! pixel art? fine! ASCII art? Fine, as long as it does not contain actual language text! Machinima? fine! dressing up as your character and taking a photo? fine! a colague of a bunch of random goggled photos? Fine!

Character sheets are supposed to be a detailed image of the character, whit the full name to the side, doing an activity archetypical to the character. The character will assume to be exactly as it would appear to be according to stereotypes based on the portrait, in short, the book will be judged by the cover. (note that it's my stereotypes that count, meaning gender and race do not have any relevance to anything at all, and that you cant have a non-evil human character. :p )

EXAMPLES
Sheets: minimum (no example yet) - Very Good - So good it would unbalance the game if somone did something like this but luckily nobody will
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:56:44 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:00 pm »

reserved
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »

PLAYERS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:40:25 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »

reserved
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:39 pm »

What the hell, count me in.  Something tells me it won't last long, but I'll put my pixel-drawing skills to use as best I can.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:20:45 pm »

I may or may not be interested in this. I haven't decided if I want to commit to it yet. <.<

It sounds interesting, nonetheless.

It would be good exercise for me pixel art stuff, something I haven't done seriously in over 3 years. >,>
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »

BOTH the first two people being pixel art users? well it's fine for me, just post your sheet images and you can always change our mind as long as the game hasn't started yet.

For pixel art, you should probably still use some slightly higher resolution for the speechboxes and sheets, think Cavestory.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »

Who said it would all be pixel art?  ;)

But yeah. Cave Story style stuff wouldn't take too long to make.

THANKS FOR THE IDEA
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:39:41 pm »

Can I play as this guy? He is a rare beardless dorf:

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »

Well, I guess you can, but I really hope that is just a sketch and that you are intending to put slightly more effort into the real thing... Not much mind you, I dont expect you to spend hours making beutifull artwork, but a background and some more deitail would be nice, maybe making it larger.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:51:25 pm »

Wait, wait, I can do this.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:01 pm »

Picture for some thread elsewhere around here.

And for the Eternal Halls-

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:54:05 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:02:48 pm »

Can you please stop trolling and spamming? :(
I'm trying to make a serious game here, if you are going to misuse it I'll have to remove the alowance for bad artists to enter, which would severely cripple the game.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:51 pm »

I'm spamming?  And trolling?

I was being completely serious, those are MSPaint drawings I made for other threads.  If you only want professional quality art, then say so and I'll leave.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11