Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves Stay Inside.... Underground?  (Read 668 times)

Darwinism

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves Stay Inside.... Underground?
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

Well, since I like building fortresses above my immense dwarven warrens, I'd like the option for dwarves to stay indoors, but not underground. As it stands, it's tricky to get my siege operators to stay near the engines when a siege arrives without a half dozen dim-witted gatherer dwarves rushing out to meet twenty goblins.

Is it possible?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Stay Inside.... Underground?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:07:00 am »

If you build a roof over the siege weapons, it considers them underground.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

No, building a roof over an area will make it indoors, but not subterranean.

I would suggest making a giant squad for al of your civilians, and stationing them i the warrens. you could even give them some weapons just in case.

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »

Well, the problem really goes further than that with dwarves running up to the entrances that are technically "indoors" and "Subterranean" but are before your underground defenses.

I think something along the lines of the zoning tool would solve this best. Just select an area outdoors and tell it to treat that as indoors for purposes of dwarf travel permits or vice versa.

The whole "massive recruit militia of scared children hiding in the dinning room" is self crippling. The ability to just say "don't go past point X" would allow underground work to continue.  In the end it would balance out play-wise since by not having them drafted into one giant militia there is the increased danger of exposure to battle, but with the zoning you'd be able to control the degree of danger.

<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.