Author Topic: DFMark  (Read 7395 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: DFMark
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:06 am »

Question.

How well could DF run while under the famous nitrogen-cooled CPU that busted something like 7 GHz?  :P

Probably 250+ stable FPS with hardcore settings even. [10x10+ embark area, all features are on, 200+ dwarves and hordes of animals]  :)

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:34 am »

You also have to keep in mind that an older computer will have a lot more background noise in terms of processing, hard drive access (read/write), memory and general cleanliness (dust on the hardware).  Three brand new computers using identical parts except for each of those processors might (and probably will) show very different results to those you posted.

I don't think so.  Dust is irrelevant unless there's so much of it that it's causing thermal throttling, disk access is irrelevant since Dwarf Fortress is running entirely out of system memory unless you have so little of it that it's swapping, and memory itself, well, the entire point is to see how different systems behave; my current system has DDR400, most Core 2's have DDR667 or 800, all Core i7's have DDR3.  You could run a Phenom II, a Core 2 and a i7 using DDR3 if you really want, but most people aren't going to find that terribly interesting since that probably means they've already upgraded recently :)

Background processes are not particularly relevant, since even the most crufty system isn't going to be spending more than a couple of percent on them, and I'm quite sure none of the systems involved were *that* crufty.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:29:19 pm »

Question.

How well could DF run while under the famous nitrogen-cooled CPU that busted something like 7 GHz?  :P
Funny how it's an E8600, a C2D, the same CPU that I happen to have...
Indeed.
Just wish it would let me overclock the thing..  Seems to crash if I put it anything more then .07GHz above factory clock, which just is NOT right.
Especially given I'm running at 35-40C even under 100% usage.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 07:44:26 am »

I don't get it jay, something is not right with your CPU or system.
The E8600 is one of the best and most stable processors. It should be absolutely stable up to ~4Ghz with a stock cooler even..[vcore ~1.25v]
If you buy a better/quality cooler, 10x450Mhz=4.5 Ghz works without any problems [vcore ~1.4v].
Pages: 1 [2]