Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Racial poison resistances  (Read 2929 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Racial poison resistances
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 02:08:05 am »

I'd also like to add that drug resistance/susceptibility could be a species trait.

I'd personally like to see drugs be linked to the soul, somehow, though. I don't know what Toady has in mind for souls in DF, but it seems reasonable that the effects of various drugs might have an impact there---possibly positive, as well as negative ("negative" types of drugs-opium, alchohol, etc. being balanced against "positive" types-mescalin, caffiene, and the like.).

Not that even the "positive" types would be all good. Drug use should always involve danger and risks. They could still have damaging effects on the body, cause fatigue, cause short term insanity/hallucinations, etc. and possibly the risk of a "really bad trip", which in a fantasy universe, could mean anything.

But then, alchohol, opium, and other such drugs have their medicinal use, too, primarily as analgesics (painkillers), which could be pretty important, since we're hopefully getting surgery soon.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »

"Perhaps elves should be resistant to most plant based poisons?"
Why not? This idea makes sense imo

Why Not?

It belittles their possible knowledge of nature by bypassing it further. Them not getting attacked by nature is supposed to represent their connection to nature rather then some sort of magical aura that prevents animal attacks. (Speaking to animals is more of a setting thing to me... then magic...). People have lived by Poison Ivy forever but few people are immune, even if you could become immune by being around it... Who would touch Poison Ivy so much?
-In the same vein... Why would elves constantly poison themselves?

Add in that not all Plant Based poisons are the same and it starts to become a magical effect.

Being resistant to some poison oak here and there is alright... Suddenly being immune to oil itself is something else.

Better yet... Elves DON'T get resistance period... It is a Civilisation thing.

Ohh well I won't complain if Elves do get the resistance... I am just putting in my two cents.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 04:52:23 pm »

Not that even the "positive" types would be all good. Drug use should always involve danger and risks. They could still have damaging effects on the body, cause fatigue, cause short term insanity/hallucinations, etc. and possibly the risk of a "really bad trip", which in a fantasy universe, could mean anything.
For those who read Roger Zelazny's Amber series, remember Luke's trip to Wonderland. Having Amberite blood made him able to walk the shadows, and this strength was turned into a weakness when someone drugged him and his hallucinations became his reality(LSD, probably).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »

Ironically, I'm actually immune to poison ivy. Atleast I used to be. Growing up, it was everywhere on our property, and I used to play in the woods almost every day. Infact, I probably ate some, once or twice, as a little kid.

I know I ate berries that I later found out were poisonous.

It's been a long time, and I've since moved to another state, so maybe not so much, anymore.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:59:22 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »

And that is a "You" thing and not a "Human" Thing.

Interestingly I think Poison Oak has less then a 50% immunity rate for people who never touched the stuff.

Another thing most people don't know you can become immune to are certain kinds of insect bites. Mosquito bites stop causing bumps if you get bitten enough.

FEW people have become immune to Scorpian Poison

The point is however... that just because Elves stay outdoors all day with plants... doesn't mean all the elves are immune to all plants or resistant to them. It does mean the elves who are around some plants can gain resistance and high rates of immunity.

I feel like my brain isn't working for some reason... I hope I am getting everything I am saying straight.

Though I should say that there ARE some forms of overall resistance.

Cats have less of an ability to deal with toxins is poor relative to that of humans and thus plants that are normally harmless are sometimes toxic to them (Mind you... that one kind of poisonous plants to humans... Cats are immune to. I think it is mistletoe or something)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:19:03 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »

It depends a lot on WHY toady sees the elves as being in tune with nature. Is it something to do with their culture? Is it a magical pact that the druids make? Is it an innate ability that all elves could use, if properly trained?

If it's a magical pact made by druids, why couldn't they have one with the plant kingdom as well?

Or perhaps it is innate, put there by the gods. In which case an immunity to plant toxins (maybe all natural toxins) could be in place as well.

I'm not saying that I want every Elf to be immune to the Giant Desert Scorpion's venom, but it is certainly possible.

Elves could also be resistant to some things that are toxic to humans, but not all. The racial resistances don't have to be an all-or-nothing deal. But they'd be another way to differentiate the races in DF, which I see as a good thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 05:26:31 pm »

The point is however... that just because Elves stay outdoors all day with plants... doesn't mean all the elves are immune to all plants or resistant to them. It does mean the elves who are around some plants can gain resistance and high rates of immunity.

Well, I think that it's pointless to argue about this. We are talking about fantastical creatures afterall.  :) This discussion is just enforcing us to post about our subjective viewpoints basically. While you might find it weird that X race is completely immune to all forms of poison, some others -like me- will find it absolutely acceptable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:15 pm »

While you might find it weird that X race is completely immune to all forms of poison, some others -like me- will find it absolutely acceptable.

Difference between what I am arguing and what I think is acceptable.

I think it is acceptable for Elves to be immune to all poisons.

I just don't want Elves to be immune to all poisons.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm also not allergic to bees, although my wife is.

That's not to say that I don't have allergies-- I'm actually allergic to more things than most people. I used to go to an allergy expert, and they found out I was allergic to over 40 things on a 50 thing test.

Just not poison ivy or bees, which are two of the more "exciting" ones.

By the way, and this could just be an urban legend, but it's my understanding that it's possible to become *more* allergic to bees, the more often you're stung.

I might be becoming lactose intolerant, also, which would be kind of the same thing, more or less.

There's apparently some danger that a world-wide wheat allergy epidemic (possibly specific to genetically altered wheat, for you conspiracy theorists) could someday happen, which would potentially cause widespread food shortages.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »

this could just be an urban legend, but it's my understanding that it's possible to become *more* allergic to bees, the more often you're stung.

Yeah, some resistances go kinda in reverse. While I am not sure if it applies to Bees I know it applies to some medications and I believe I already mentioned that it applies to antivenom.

Also you become Lactose Intolerant if you don't get a lot of dairy naturally. Human beings arn't naturally Lactose Tollerant and will stop producing the emzyme that allows you to digest it properly if you stop getting milk (which is supposed to happen after your mother weens you off).

As for that "World-Wide Allergy Epidemic" some of that scare has to do with false information cause by alergy information being more widespread. (In otherwords a difference between the TRUE alergy rates and Reported Alergy Rates.). For example Peanut Alergies.
-Mind you... This isn't to say that some things havn't increased as well as been reported more.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:45:50 pm by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »

Well, I do drink a lot of milk, but I have some of the arthritic symptoms of lactose intolerance, so I've wondered, just because I *do* drink so much milk, if it might not be a result of that, since I've had these arthritic symptoms since an early age.

Yeah, I'm weird.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 05:51:30 pm »

I am sure some people become Lactose Intollerant even while they drink milk too. I can't picture people not eating milk or cheese in our society for so long they lose Tollerance. (at least... compared to the number of people who are Lactose Intollerant)

Also no your not weird. There are a lot of things about society that would become more accepted if people knew how common it was.

For example... Bed Wetting up past Infantcy is very common (after the age of 13... not so much)

Though we are going FAR off topic now... yikes. Lets get back on it.

Fur and scales should protect you from getting touch poisons from plants (not immunity... but should dilute or deflect touch toxins)

Also, Some creatures should have a tag where their skin is permiable so that all injection poisons can poison them on touch. (Frogs are like this... Their skin breathes. If their skin gets an injection from moss or fungus they can sufficate)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:56:24 pm by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »

Oh trust me. In some ways, I'm pretty weird.

I'm not a bizarre tentacle mutant or anything, but there's enough small things that add up to my tending to stand out-a little bit-in a crowd.

The mental/emotional parts, I tend to nurture. 

And I take pride in that. I like to be different. Physicality is a part of that, a small part, but it's taught me a lot of good life-lessons, and now that I'm an adult (especially now that I'm out of public school), those differences are good things.

I don't like to be excluded or antagonized because of those differences, ofcourse, and it can be painful to watch other people go through those same experiences that I have, but I think uniqueness is a worthy goal to aim for, and it tends to become more important, the older and the more established that you get.

Yeah, we can get back on track now ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:32:48 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
Pages: 1 2 [3]