Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Racial poison resistances  (Read 2928 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Racial poison resistances
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:50:30 pm »

While I can see there being general immunities for natural creatures but they would be obvious in their immunity

For example Plants, such as trents, would likely be immune to most poisons outside of herbicides. (Mind you that plants are also sensative to toxins that would be laughable elsewhere)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 01:39:25 pm »

Alergies could also be modeled like this.  Dwarves might have crazy plant alergies.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »

well... clownfish gains its resistance through constant exposure to the poisons in small doses when young, so it makes sense that the dwarves over time, due to natural selection would gain evolutionary traits that helped, and constant exposure when young would build up slight resistances.

Same with elves/Koldbolts, due to constant exposure to certain insects/plants (perhaps deliberately) they could build up a natural resistance..

ever heard of the King who was terrified of being poisoned, so took it in small doses. He then heard some rebels were coming to kill him, tried to poison himself and failed ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 11:17:15 pm »

Tigershark I should state that while some things building up resistance with small doses makes sense. (Such as Allergies and apperantly the water in Mexico)

In fact there is a whole science (well... more like Alternative medicine) of injesting and injecting things into your body specifically to build a resistance... but I cannot remember what it is called... Homeopathy?

For things such as lead... it actually kills you over time and I doubt you gain a resistance to it. Mostly this is because the body cannot process it out of the body very well and stores it in the bones and soft tissues.

Heck for some things... such as Anti-venom it actually gets more deadly over time. Some things such as Coal only can harm you over long periods of time, getting tons of exposure all at once isn't all that dangerous.

Poisons and Metals function on a fundementally different level.

Dwarves arn't going to have a constant stream of Mercury and Lead going into their blood stream... So why would they gain resistance unless they are intentionally eating Mercury and Lead pellets... but those tend to kill people anyhow.

Then again I also have to recognise that this is a game... and allowing lead poisoning to downright make your live a living nightmare without resistance may be a bit harsh... Though Id hardly give it as an overlapping resistance to a whole race just to represent the fact that they MAY be exposed to that element at a most constant basis.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 11:27:26 pm »

hmm well the game has personality traits and age ect... so make it so that they have a resistance percent from say 30:70 as opposed to a human resistance to metal poisoning of say 20:50

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:44 pm »

hmm well the game has personality traits and age ect... so make it so that they have a resistance percent from say 30:70 as opposed to a human resistance to metal poisoning of say 20:50

The next version already has a "disease resistance" attribute which will likely be used for poisons as well, and it also has racial attribute bonuses.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:11 pm »

The game will most likely later have both general resistance and specific resistance stats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 12:27:53 am »

The game will most likely later have both general resistance and specific resistance stats.

I can't tell what kind of "later" you mean, but this is already checked off as Done for next release:

"Resistance in terms of attributes and also developed against specific toxins through exposure"

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 09:02:33 am »

Depends on how realistic your willing to make it.

I say no to your examples though... It doesn't make sense to me biologically.

This is a fantasy game, so perhaps we shouldn't talk about biology.  :)
I see no problems with the OP's idea. Hell, what if I would like to mod in a new race, which is completely immune to all poisons even? What is the problem with that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:56 am »

Go ahead... Mod in anything you want.

He is exampling Vanilla Immunities... not just the ability to mod them into creatures.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:10:11 am by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 09:09:39 am »

Go ahead... Mod in anything you want.

He is asking for Vanilla Immunities... not just the ability to mod them into creatures.

Yeah I know. Example:
"Perhaps elves should be resistant to most plant based poisons?"
Why not? This idea makes sense imo.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 10:05:04 am »

Racial poisonresistances could lead to interresting situations.

Say a elven trader trades some food with a dwarven civ, which didnt developed a resistance to a certain plant (much like Native americans and alcohol) in the food. Some dwarves die and now the dwarven Civs thinks that this trade was a attempt to kill dwarfs which could lead to a war.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:52 am »

Racial poisonresistances could lead to interresting situations.

Say a elven trader trades some food with a dwarven civ, which didnt developed a resistance to a certain plant (much like Native americans and alcohol) in the food. Some dwarves die and now the dwarven Civs thinks that this trade was a attempt to kill dwarfs which could lead to a war.

I think the word you're looking for is 'Peanuts'

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:15 am »

Never heard that somebody was alergic to Charly Brown hehehe. joke aside Peanuts are a good example.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 10:18:25 am »

Well something a bit more concerning then Alcohol are: Milk and Sugar

Both of those cause violent reactions to those who don't ever eat it.

Alcohol's sociologocial affect on them was more of an issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3