Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ant colony mod - Version 0.1 released  (Read 8646 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bug mod - Brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 12:18:22 am »

I am happy with there being workshops, the point I was trying to make is that this mod isn't 100% realistic. It is a fantasy styled ant mod where the ants are a little bit more civilized than they should be (think crappy Disney movie crossed with Rambo).  Maybe the weapons/armor are a bit to much though, maybe they should all just be wrestlers...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:20:42 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 06:16:11 am »

... and spit acid, though I'm not sure how you'd model that.

Instead of crosbows you could equip your warriors with spitting, instead of sword you could equip them with biting, etc.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:44 pm »

Sounds brilliant, just to train in a certain area you need to have a weapon equipped. I suppose I could make the weapon called 'use teeth' but I would still have to forge iron 'use teeth' or copper 'use teeth' for the ant to equip it. I am sure I can figure out a work around.

Anyway here is my basic ant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was thinking of making it a fast moving, fast breeding species that makes up for it's size in numbers. The attacks there are just place holders for now until I figure out this whole weapon thing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:18:34 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 02:03:16 pm »

Maybe you could have them be civilized enough to equip things like 'mandible blades' or 'leg spikes'. That would solve the iron/copper/whatever issue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
Re: Ant colony mod (previously bug mod)- Brainstorming
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:52 am »

Maybe GCS can be renamed to CS, bit what would become of the regular cave spiders? Also, maybe the humans should be replaced by carpenter ants. On a related note, I feel that termites are rather fitting for goblins, seeing as they both build relatively big towers to live in, are weaker then their opponents and are smaller too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:20:54 am by NewMartianEmperor »
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 03:56:09 am »

Yeah I am happy with the termite idea. I have made them smaller than our ants but faster breeding.
Anyway I am happy with how I have fashioned the insect armor.
e.g.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have decided to forgo any use of metal in the mod (it will still be there but be pretty much useless except for moods). Instead all insects will drop chitin when butchered which can essentially be used for the armoring of other insects.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:13:28 am by A_Fey_Dwarf »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 10:45:09 am »

Go ahead and use chitin for weapons too. Whats the worst that could happen?  ::)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »

The thing is that the [LEATHER] tag can't be used for weapons. So what I might have to do is create a reaction to turn leather (uses same tag as chitin) into hardened chitin at a smelter works which I could also use as a 'metal' for the armor.

The only problem is that I have never done anything like this before.
I assume it would be something along the lines of this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:HARDENED_CHITIN_MAKING]
[NAME:temper chitin]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:LEATHER:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:HARDENED_CHITIN]
[FUEL]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 04:27:48 pm »

As long as HARDENED_CHITIN actually exists, and you control what creatures can make leather, it should work fine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 04:32:36 pm »

can you have smelting reactions with no reagents?

Then you could define a material 'use' that doesn't occur naturally and make 'use' claws and 'use' teeth

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 05:51:38 pm »

Good idea, but i don't think it will work very well. What I have done at the moment is the default non-military ant has 6 legs and uses the body part 'jaws' to pick up stuff. However when I wish to recruit an ant into the military it can pick up a set of hardened chitin mandibles with it's 'jaws' and use that as it's weapon. The mandible will become the ant's 'jaws' until of coarse it drops them. There are five types of mandibles to equip, digging(replace pick), pointed(replace spear), slashing (replace sword), crushing (replace hammer), cutting(replace axe).

However with only one grasping body part will an ant be able to say pick up a stone while holding onto digging mandibles? I am pretty sure it will work considering hunters with a shield and crossbow in vanilla can still drag their kills to the butchery.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »

Yes, hauled works differently, and people can hold multiple things in their hands.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

. . . and spit acid, though I'm not sure how you'd model that.

Has anyone tried adding the [WEBBER] tag to an opponent civ and then adding something like
[SILK_FIXED_TEMP:15000] [SILK_BOILING_POINT:14000] or
[SILK_FIXED_TEMP:5000] [SILK_BOILING_POINT:4000]

I imagine the first would look somewhat like a flamethrower (and sort of like spitting burning acid) and the second like a freezing deathcloud.  Probably would cause problems with random traders blowing up from silk clothing but maybe this mod it wouldn't with clothing removed and weaver jobs removed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »

. . . and spit acid, though I'm not sure how you'd model that.

Has anyone tried adding the [WEBBER] tag to an opponent civ and then adding something like
[SILK_FIXED_TEMP:15000] [SILK_BOILING_POINT:14000] or
[SILK_FIXED_TEMP:5000] [SILK_BOILING_POINT:4000]

I imagine the first would look somewhat like a flamethrower (and sort of like spitting burning acid) and the second like a freezing deathcloud.  Probably would cause problems with random traders blowing up from silk clothing but maybe this mod it wouldn't with clothing removed and weaver jobs removed.

That's a really cool idea. One question, though. What happens to the CGSman whose silk just caught fire behind him? I think he would burn.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »

Great idea but I don't really want to give that to the termites who are currently the fastest breeding yet weakest of the civilization races.

Perhaps that is a better idea for a megabeast or such... Erm how about this? a large and one of the most venomous of scorpions which can also spit venom up to one meter away.
Pages: 1 [2] 3