Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Brainstorming: new uses for spatters! Cinnabar workers die gruesome deaths!  (Read 6447 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile

"As much as I and the other truly hardcore players would enjoy having a use for elaborate sewer systems, this has been a hugely controversial topic in the past."

I tend to be for it, but since we don't already have it in the game, I've come up with a solution that satisfies (if only on an immaterial basis) my sense of realism:

Dwarf + Digestive system = Schist.
For they would be your masters.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

It would go by an "short-range floodfill" algorithm the designation would be easy enought. Just designate one oretile and the game designates the rest of it, but you wouldnt see it most likely.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

It would go by an "short-range floodfill" algorithm the designation would be easy enought. Just designate one oretile and the game designates the rest of it, but you wouldnt see it most likely.

Yeah, there've been a lot of threads discussing how it could be implemented.  The game doesn't have to designate the entire vein at once, though -- each time a tile is mined it, it can check the newly revealed ones to see if they're the same type, and then designate them as appropriate.

CapnMikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, how on earth do you designate a whole vein for digging??
You can't (except manually of course).  It's an often requested feature that's in the dev notes and will probably get implemented sometime, hopefully soon.

Ah.  In that case, I find it amusing that someone would complain about having to micromanage miners while designating dig jobs 2-3 tiles at a time :P

I think the game already identifies veins in some manner, since you only get "You have struck <whatever>!" once per vein.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I already use an over-complicated system of floor hatches, cisterns, underground streams, and floodgates to 'flush away' the random rock crafts my sweatshop workers produce while becoming better crafters AND clearing out my hallways.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming: new uses for spatters! Cinnabar workers die gruesome deaths!
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 03:58:47 am »

How many decades does it take for the balck lung to kill a human? It should take at least twice that long to kill a dwarf, probably more and that's assuming that coal mining is bad for dwarves at all.

I would personally like to see more death from natural causes in dwarves, but I'd like their life expectancy to still be uberdickulously long. Occupational hazards your take a century to down a healthy dwarven individual, assuming the gobs don't get him.

Dwarves are going to need a better way of coping with the loss of a loved one than axing up the remaining members of their family, before that becomes a real possibility. (I'm hoping that religion comes with happy-thought funerals and grief counseling.)

As for spatters, I'd like to see monsters that attack with various forms of material spatter. If dragons can breathe arbitrary materials then acid spitting plant beasts aren't too far from reality.

Ooh! Monsters with concentrated acid for blood. Once dwarves have a procedure for removing spattered filth, you just have them do that immediately if they get spattered with acid. Discarding contaminated armor could be an option, in the absence of a source of water to wash with.

Dwarves who are covered with acid (or on fire) should be able to commandeer water buckets with other destinations, since it's an emergency and time matters.

What happens if you jump in a pond, while covered with acid, besides the water getting contaminated? Isn't there some sort of fuzzy effect that can spatter foamy half diluted acid on things? I'm afraid I have only vague memories of Chemistry class.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 04:01:21 am »

I'd like a river of blood, and gore, just make sure the miasma still emanates, oh, and let's just say we can designate sacrifices ( just choose the sub options, and where ) .

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 04:06:18 am »

When blood becomes an object, will we be able to pump it like water?

Fountains of Blood: When rivers of blood aren't enough.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 05:33:04 pm »

Besides, why SHOULDN'T long-term health effects be represented, if they're profound enough? Lead poisoning can take a while, sure, but it would be interesting if a fortress had problems after using lead barrels for everything after 10-30 years.

Interestingly I heard from the infamous "somewhere" that historians put part of the blame for the decline of the Roman empire on their use of lead piping for their water. That, applied to the Mountainhomes, would be awesome. :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 05:47:16 pm »

Actually, if your lead pipes are more than a few decades old, they're too coated with gunk to be a health threat. Hard water can help save your life.

Of course, fortresses rarely last that long...

Then again, none of this stuff kills you within the lifetime of most fortresses. Think of it as an added challenge for people who have all the existing obstacles licked, and have the patience to get to these late game hurtles.

Groundwater tainted with even tiny traces of heavy metals, especially arsenic, can increase your chances of getting skin cancer. This could be an inroad for cancer to get into the game, without giving us radioactive minerals.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:53 pm »

My view of dwarfs is that they can technically live for as long as 1250 years (as far as me modding the Raws goes, anyway), but their lives are so dangerous that they rarely make it past 175.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2009, 11:04:22 pm »

Yeah, but even dwarven coal miners should still be able to make it into the 300s, if you don't drop the ceiling on them.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2009, 11:40:34 pm »

Well, I'm hoping in my lifetime to see the *human* lifespan creep up there a bit...even if I should live to be 120 myself (and genetically speaking, I can expect maybe 90)...over a fourth of my life would already be over.

So I'm all for longer lifespans for my dwarfs, if only because it's wish-fulfillment-by-proxy.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:06 am »

Just a question, how long do elves live for anway? I don't think i ever saw a elf in legends mode die of old age.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2009, 12:40:20 am »

Interesting thought for you folks: Why do dwarves have beards?

Answer: Air filtration system! Rock dust is strained out of the air by their dwarven facial hair, allowing them to breathe freely!

Seems plausible to me, anyway.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6