Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body part limit  (Read 1849 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Body part limit
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:42:21 am »

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many body parts a creature can have? Because right now I am creating a nanoswarm creature. This nanoswarm creature has a shell with 10 brains, each of those brains has 10 transmitters, each of those transmitters has 10 receivers, each of those receivers has 10 nanobot swarms, and each of those nanobot swarms has 10 nanobots. This means that
1 shell + 10 brains +100 transmitters +1000 receivers + 10000 nanobot swarms + 100000 nanobots = 111111 body parts total.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wolenber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Body part limit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:49:05 am »

My vote would be testing it, then rebooting...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:11 am »

I believe that ANY of those brains dying will cause the creature to die, so good luck.

Also, the way body part hits are calculated might cause some really weirdass results with that creature.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:28 am »

The wiki just says that if a creature doesn't have a working brain it dies. Of course, having a brain severed would cause massive bleeding, but as the nanoswarm doesn't bleed it might not die. I am going to test this tomorrow and then report my findings.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 04:58:56 am »

Come back with your new PC :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:43 am »

The wiki just says that if a creature doesn't have a working brain it dies. Of course, having a brain severed would cause massive bleeding, but as the nanoswarm doesn't bleed it might not die. I am going to test this tomorrow and then report my findings.

Don't hydras die if you severe a single head, though?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »

The wiki is frequently wrong, especially on the accurate meaning of the modding tags.  It's a very reliable source of information on actual play issues, though.

That said, don't do this.  While I'm sure there was never actually a hard-coded limit on the number of body parts, it's probably set up as an integer.  These have a maximum size of 32767, I think.  You'll crash the game with more.  Besides, it would probably not be what you really want.  When someone attacks this swarm controller, they'll hit ONE nanobot with their hammer.  If they fire a bolt at it, it might knock off 3 nanobots, cripple the swarm, and bruise the receiver.  That's a little strange for what you're trying to represent.  It just won't be modeled very accurately.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:56:05 pm »

Results are in. For the body part thing, it does something or other and overloads the limit. This means the game doesn't recognize the creature and as I was using dwarves as the tester, it spawns an infinite amount of worlds with the 'no playable civilization' reject message. I tried changing the body tags of dwarves back and it worked fine. As for the multiple brain thing, in this case the wiki is right. Creatures with multiple [THOUGHT] body parts can continue to function even after one or more is destroyed, as long as they have at least one left. However, destruction of a [THOUGHT] body part causes immense pain and bleeding, so unless a creature has both the [NOPAIN] and the [NOBLEED] tags, they will either give in to pain constantly or bleed to death instantly. Coincidentally, I found that if you cut off a creatures limb when it has the [NOBLEED] tag, save and delete the tag, then even when you reload the cut off limb will not bleed.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 12:59:22 am »

I think that has to do with the [HEAD] token, not the [THOUGHT] token.  If any body part has any of the [LOWERBODY], [UPPERBODY],  or [HEAD] tokens, then the creature instantly dies when any such body part is destroyed.

So you could have functioning hydras, actually, as long as the "heads" weren't designated [HEAD].

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:15:16 am »

I think that has to do with the [HEAD] token, not the [THOUGHT] token.  If any body part has any of the [LOWERBODY], [UPPERBODY],  or [HEAD] tokens, then the creature instantly dies when any such body part is destroyed.

So you could have functioning hydras, actually, as long as the "heads" weren't designated [HEAD].

Of course, as I said earlier they would have to also have the [NOBLEED] and [NOPAIN] tokens or they would collapse to the ground unconscious from the pain of having a brain amputated and then bleed to death.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:36:06 am »

Of course, as I said earlier they would have to also have the [NOBLEED] and [NOPAIN] tokens or they would collapse to the ground unconscious from the pain of having a brain amputated and then bleed to death.

If you put the [THOUGHT] token in your "heads", yes.  There's no reason to do that, though. Just attach [THOUGHT] to its heart, and then you can have bleeding, pain-feeling hydras that can survive having a  head lopped off and still function.   If the heart is destroyed, it loses its [THOUGHT] and dies, but then again it was going to die anyway, right?

As an added benefit  you get to make  jokes about romantic  hydras.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:07:14 am by ZeroGravitas »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 06:52:03 am »

If you put the [THOUGHT] token in your "heads", yes.  There's no reason to do that, though. Just attach [THOUGHT] to its heart, and then you can have bleeding, pain-feeling hydras that can survive having a  head lopped off and still function.   If the heart is destroyed, it loses its [THOUGHT] and dies, but then again it was going to die anyway, right?

As an added benefit  you get to make  jokes about romantic  hydras.

Wasn't there a NSFW bodyparts mod a while back? I'm wondering what odd places the [THOUGHT] tag might've shown up...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »

The wiki is frequently wrong, especially on the accurate meaning of the modding tags.  It's a very reliable source of information on actual play issues, though.

That said, don't do this.  While I'm sure there was never actually a hard-coded limit on the number of body parts, it's probably set up as an integer.  These have a maximum size of 32767, I think.  You'll crash the game with more.  Besides, it would probably not be what you really want.  When someone attacks this swarm controller, they'll hit ONE nanobot with their hammer.  If they fire a bolt at it, it might knock off 3 nanobots, cripple the swarm, and bruise the receiver.  That's a little strange for what you're trying to represent.  It just won't be modeled very accurately.

thats why it is a wiki: if something is wrong, edit and correct it!
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."