Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The Birth of an Artifact  (Read 19944 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Birth of an Artifact
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 02:32:35 am »

Thanks  ;D

You don't know what kind of day I've had, but that just made it (and that took some doing).

It probably won't make the next installment happen any faster, but I'll do my best to get it out, and get it polished, in atleast a timely fashion. This has been a great experience for me so far, it continues to be, and you all are the reason for that.

For they would be your masters.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 02:02:03 am »

Thanks  ;D

You don't know what kind of day I've had, but that just made it (and that took some doing).

It probably won't make the next installment happen any faster, but I'll do my best to get it out, and get it polished, in atleast a timely fashion. This has been a great experience for me so far, it continues to be, and you all are the reason for that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 08:43:04 pm »

I just got the thing with the names 'Mattock' and 'Awl'. Maybe Mat'tock was Awl's driving force and Awl got depressed when Mat'tock left?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

I just got the thing with the names 'Mattock' and 'Awl'. Maybe Mat'tock was Awl's driving force and Awl got depressed when Mat'tock left?

Ba dum tshhh
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 10:13:51 pm »

I know, I know...really really really late on the next update. In my defense, I've tried every single night to find it within me to write, but I just haven't been able to.

I'm physically tired, I've got the worst case of allergies since moving to Utah, and my glasses broke, so I'm having a lot of trouble even seeing.

No idea if it's just one of those, or all of them, but I just don't seem to be able to sit down and write a piece of work that's worth posting to this thread.

I *want* to, I'm trying to, but it just aint happening. Sorry to make excuses, but I want you to know I'm not ignoring this.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 10:30:26 pm »

I know, just making sure more people get a chance to read it, while I put it up on the front page.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:28 pm »

I appreciate that.  :)

I'm just really frustrated about not being able to further it. Usually, when I have a 'writer's block' situation, I'm able to kick myself out of it, by one method or another, but in this case, I'm stumped.

That's half the reason I've been exercising more, in order to jar my brain into wanting to write, but it's so far not doing me any good, except for the health-benefits.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 02:34:59 pm »

Had any luck with ideas recently? It would be a shame if the story was forgotten.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2009, 09:55:46 pm »

I'm gonna try to continue it as soon as possible. I've actually got a great excuse this time--I've been in the hospital, and had to get my gall-bladder removed, so when I heal up and I'm off some of the drugs, I'll hopefully be able to jump back in with the next installment. Thanks for the support, though!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2009, 01:01:39 am »

For the first time in weeks, Mat'tock's stomach felt truly full. His head swam from the heady applications of liquor, and the Monarch's excellent beer. He found himself the topic of conversation; from which other conversations spun off.

When Mat'tock told of the tragedy of his parents' passing,
Tol'brek confirmed his orphanage. It was a rare condition, considered not only unfortunate, but also somehow mysterious and exotic.

He'd grown up on the streets of 'Constant Bellows' "Tears of the Mother", learning first to steal his food, and then to secretly fight for it, in the most distant tunnels and alleyways.

Being the only dayport belonging to the MountainHome, it was visited by all manner of exotic folk, and a vast arena, the famous 'Iron Bowl', had been constructed in the heart of the sprawling citadel.

They only accepted men into the arena who'd reached their hundredth year, but Tol'brek had entered at 85 with forged papers and lies about his age. Not having parents proved an advantage: there were no records to confirm or deny his birthyear.

The sort of streetfighting he'd done before was not only outlawed, but required hefty bribes from the winners. Here was a chance to perform the skills and talents he was best suited for, legitimately and profitably, and for thirty-seven years he'd gladly fought for the entertainment of vast crowds, rising to the status of Champion.

Men under the 'Law of the MountainHome' were not allowed to kill other men, intentionally, except for those of Royal blood, who could either perform executions themselves, or appoint Hammerers from the Noble class--it was a Law, both under the Mountainhome, and across all the land from sea to sea, fire to sky.

Foreigners and other species were exempt, and could be slain, although this was frowned upon in the Arena, and would result in penalties.

(Killing a woman, ofcourse, was an unthinkable crime, as was killing a child. Even accidental deaths of this type were typically punished by Hammering, unless the family of the slain forgave the circumstances.)

There were rules to enforce the Law, one of which was that if three accidental deaths of men occurred in the career of a fighter, that fighter would be barred. It was in his 123rd year that Tol'brek had had the misfortune of being pitted against a young Noble, eager to prove his mettle to a female. Tol'brek-being a professional-did all he could to extend the Game and make the Noble look good, but the young man had slipped on the sand and scraped his knee in the mock struggle.

It was a minor thing, and the poor fool hadn't gone to see his family's Lord Physician about it until it was well and truly infected. Even after they'd removed his leg, the sepsis had advanced...It was an agonizing death, and his lover had been infuriated. Two others had died in the Arena during Tol'brek's carreer, and she'd demanded that the Noble's death count as a third. The Arena managers had been sympathetic, but there was little they could do. They were kind enough to send him off with a whole month's wages, and that and his own savings were enough for Tol'brek to form an expedition and set off on his journey.

He'd left the Games with Carbuncle, the Monarch, and his family. Both men had proved themselves in the Games, but as foreigners, it was a risky business. A few other gladiators had accompanied the group, but one left after a year, and the other was killed defending 'RingingDeep' from the worst of the monsters they'd encountered--an undead Cyclops.

Tol'brek promised to show Mat'tock the site of the battle on the morning, as he wanted to visit his friend's grave.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2009, 03:04:53 pm »

Finally!
It rises from the murky depths of the Community Games forum, and back into the light of the sun!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2009, 05:50:35 pm »

Huzzah!

stupid nobles, with their sepsis and agony.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2009, 07:16:53 pm »

Wow, excellent storytelling. I'm glad you revived it.  ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:10 am »

More! MORE!
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 03:16:24 am »

This sinking into the depths of the forum is not the More More I called for!
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12