Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boring = Success?  (Read 2679 times)

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
Boring = Success?
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:31:41 am »

So I've been pretty lucky with my latest fort, PagedTakers.   Been working on it for a few months now, and it's got almost everything I could need.  It's a great location, only lacking in a few small ways.

But I'm bored stiff.  I feel like I've done it all. While I haven't gone total Mega-Construction crazy, I've built a lot of stuff.

The local Goblins don't even challenge me in the slightest, and my 5 best soldiers recently killed a GCS in melee combat without taking a single loss or debilitating wound.

Am I doing something wrong?  Am I missing the point?  Is my world build just shitty?  Why are they so pathetic?  My last fort in the same world had a Dragon and a Titan attack it, and it didn't have half the luxuries my new fort does, and my Military was always busy.

what else is there left to do besides pull a Sparta and train every single Dwarf in the fort into a Skilled Soldier, so that I might be ready for the inevitable apocalyptic confrontation with HFS?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:43:24 am by Archaeologist »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Boring = Success?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:31:00 am »

Build more moats, collapsible floors over pits, and giant unnecessary constructions.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 05:52:10 am »

Yep, I would agree with that assessment. Being successful is boring, and that's why I hope in the next release there will be a lot more challenges to success.

In the meantime, try several new projects. Start a new industry, like the clothing, or meat processing industry. Build a giant tower for no reason. Turn Dwarf Fortress into the Sims, by making every dwarf find love and a fat bank account.

Or start a new fortress with a new goal in mind, like a goblin fortress, or a human city, or goblin fortress in the middle of a terrifying glacier right next to a terrifying mountain without magma and without a caravan so you won't get migrants, or whatever other devious challenges you can come up with for yourself.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:19:04 am »

Well yeah, the vanilla game is not very challenging for an experienced player. You should use some mods, Legendary Lands is excellent for example, or perhaps you should make your own mod. Make the creatures stronger etc...even tho we cannot mod the siege system/megabeast attacks/ambushes/etc. sadly, but imo we will be able to do that in the future.  :)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:24 am »

Build an indoor pond. Those are always good for a laugh.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:47:03 pm »

Build an indoor pond. Those are always good for a laugh.
Bonus points for breeding wild carps in them.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:48:44 pm »

Clearly you must modify goblins to be quicker, and on fire.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:12:55 pm »

Any fort that has devloped for a long time like 5-10 game years is usually stable, and sucessful.  It also tends to get boring because the ability for that fortress to push further into the world doesn't exist yet.  It will be there at some point and then there will be things to do after the fort is stable.

Anytime I get to that point I tend to try building something I have never built before.  I do that just to experiment with things, becuase I am going to throw the fortress and maybe even the entire world away soon.

Starting a new fort is always the most fun.  Starting in a different environment makes the game interesting.  If you are used to playing in temperate calm woodland areas try a temperate sinister woodland.  Jumping straight to a glacier is probably too much of a shock, but you could go to a calm tundra.  The new scenery is sometimes enough to make new and interesting challenges during those first few years of a fortress.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Feldrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »

What would be close to the uttermost ridiculous challenge the game can throw at you without artificially limiting yourself into not using traps/lava/drowning systems?

Currently I've started a new game on a world where my dwarves seem to have been at war with the elves from my previous fort. Furthermore, I've got an aquifer. And it's a terrifying region. Once I had reached around 17 dwarves total, the elves send 16 wrestlers/swordsman, while I had no military/defence yet whatsoever. We've killed the elves but I've only got 5 dwarves left. So this is going to be interesting.

Anyway, I've read somewhere here that terrifying isn't actually the region I seem to want if I want lots and lots of hostile undead. I thought if I'd choose the evillest of evillest I'd get slaughtered. Instead all I've got is a giant eagle and lots of hippies hitting me with wooden swords and trying to wrestle dwarves. So, was terrifying the right choice or did I have to go for haunted/sinister and perhaps an ocean to get undead whales? :)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 01:23:10 am »

Yeah. I cannot sit still waiting for the next release, so I can build my base on a cave river and a magma pipe, so as to have new enemies constantly infiltrating my base from above and below.

I never played the 2d version, where this was apparently already in place, but the war stories make it sound like it'll keep me jumping for at least a little while longer, before I end up abandoning and building another keep in some other ridiculously indefensible place.

Really, founding cities is the only part of the game you could call finished; once you've got a fortress, there isn't a lot you can do with it, yet.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:00 am »

Clearly you must modify goblins to be quicker, and on fire.

That's no good, then there's no way that invaders could wrestle them!
'Cause remember- they can't catch you if you're on fire.

More relevant an less Dr.McNinja-y, the others are right. Make a new world, this time with more danger and less volcanoes, or set yourself an impossible goal and achieve it.

How about you try to make a surface stockpile of gold, coins, and jewels, guarded only by dwarves and dogs, and see if you can keep the Kobolds away!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:44:11 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:10:38 am »

Build a monster dungeon, in which levers would open new passages, but also release caged monsters. Place spike traps and opening holes triggered by pressure pads (arrange them like minefield so a lucky, quick, or just very hardy dwarf has a chance of getting through). Try to beat it with a pair of trained dwarves from your military. Repeat many times. Try to avoid a tantrum spiral.

It is better done when you have an unlimited source of powerful monsters to cage. Maybe mod goblins to be tougher and quicker. Or capture vanilla goblins and train them to legendary via feeding them expendable dogs.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 05:19:34 am »

I've decided I'll most likely finish the Obsidian Farm, collapse the 5th tower into the Magma.... Kill 1/3 of my Dwarves either through an "accident" or send them to fight the Goblins while the veterans get smashed.

Then I shall create the largest tower I have ever constructed....  Rivaling the Obsidian Spire in it's audacity, or the Pillar of Legends ( A massive pillar carved out of the mountain and engraved), I will make a tower out of Gold and Billion, Decorating it with whatever precious metals and gems I have.

And then I will make a Waterfall in the middle of it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 05:39:50 am »

Holy fuckberries man!  Save it!  Back it up!  Upload it to the map archive!  Export that to 3Dwarf!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »

What would be close to the uttermost ridiculous challenge the game can throw at you without artificially limiting yourself into not using traps/lava/drowning systems?

No water, no soil.  If that's not enough, then also take no skills.  Then, no trade.  Then, no items.  Your dwarfs WILL die of thirst, since they cannot drink the blood of their enemies for sustenance.

Usually, you can only find a place like this with the old tool "Embark Anywhere" and going to the middle of the mountains without a river.
Pages: [1] 2