Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Display Stands, ala Indiana Jones  (Read 3860 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Display Stands, ala Indiana Jones
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:49 pm »

I'd like to be able to put my artifact gewgaws on display stands in meeting areas, dining rooms, bedrooms, whatever.

I also want to be able to add traps to them. This would be fun for both adventure mode and fortress mode, as I'm sure the kobolds will agree. I'd like to see two options for trapping them. First, the stand itself should function as a weapon trap activated only if the artifact is removed. Second, I'd like to be able to link it to any other mechanism-operated item. Doors, floodgates, bridges, gear assemblies. You name it. I want to be able to seal and flood the room when the artifact is removed. Escape lever optional.

Now, what if you wanted to move the artifact during fortress mode? A mechanic should be able to 'disable traps' on the display stand, after which the artifact can be removed, changed, etc.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Display Stands, ala Indiana Jones
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:35 am »

rofl, I can picture it now-

Rufus, the kobold thief, has grabbed 'The Goblins of Spontaneity', a bauxite earring!

Shortly thereafter-

Obok Zustashlogem has engraved a masterpiece!
*This is an engraving by Obok Zustashlogem. On it is a picture of gore and artifacts. This refers to the mutilation of Rufus the goblin thief during the first attempted theft of 'The Goblins of Spontaneity'. Rufus is exploding in gore.*

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:16 am »

Dear Fossamon, I'd like to direct your gaze to the input box with a button named "search" next to it. It is just above the textbox containing the sage advice "before making a post search for existing threads". If you would have followed that you'd have found at least the following existing topics:

Display Pedestals
Taxidermy and display skeletons :D
Display cases
display cases
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:01:22 am »

I've read some of those threads before and can't recall the suggestion that pedestals could behave like pressure plates this way. I like it. Could achieve something similar with existing pressure plates by putting the pedestal in an alcove, though it's not as cool-looking.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:11:12 am »

It is a bit of a duplication, and I did neglect to search for previous threads on it (mostly because I was really excited about the idea). But I did read through those, and they don't present the whole concept. I'd rather post it all in one place than necro a year old thread.

Could achieve something similar with existing pressure plates by putting the pedestal in an alcove, though it's not as cool-looking.
You could achieve something similar using pressure plates, but that's always been one of my pet peeves in suggestions forums. Just because you can do something poorly using existing game mechanics doesn't mean it's a bad idea or shouldn't be added.

Anyways, trapped and mechanism-linkable display stands, pretty please?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:44:57 am »

rofl, I can picture it now-

Rufus, the kobold thief, has grabbed 'The Goblins of Spontaneity', a bauxite earring!

Shortly thereafter-

Obok Zustashlogem has engraved a masterpiece!
*This is an engraving by Obok Zustashlogem. On it is a picture of gore and artifacts. This refers to the mutilation of Rufus the goblin thief during the first attempted theft of 'The Goblins of Spontaneity'. Rufus is exploding in gore.*

Woah! That trap was so powerful that it converted Rufus from a kobold into a gobin! I want one!  ;)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52:48 am »

I personally think objects need a "decoration value" SEPARATE from their normal value.

Example: A well-designed trap mechanism might be worth as much as some piece of art as far as selling price goes, but people are still going to like looking at the art better than a built mechanism in their room, on average. In DF this isn't true at all, and people just LOVE staring at grates.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:19:29 am »

I personally think objects need a "decoration value" SEPARATE from their normal value.

Amen

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

Example: A well-designed trap mechanism might be worth as much as some piece of art as far as selling price goes, but people are still going to like looking at the art better than a built mechanism in their room, on average. In DF this isn't true at all, and people just LOVE staring at grates.
These are dwarves we're talking about here. There's probably nothing more beautiful to a dwarf than an intricately designed assembly of cogs and gears--especially one that menaces with spikes of dog leather. :P
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:10 pm »

These are dwarves we're talking about here. There's probably nothing more beautiful to a dwarf than an intricately designed assembly of cogs and gears--especially one that menaces with spikes of dog leather. :P

This is true, but much like flame stripes on the side of a beat-up camaro, it doesn't make it go any faster

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 05:33:07 pm »

It doesn't matter if they're dwarves; the fact is that, even if dwarves have their own racial/cultural tastes with regards to what they enjoy looking at, these aren't even taken into account at all.

The fact is that, cultural/racial tastes aside, the value of an item isn't necessarily an indicator of artistic/aesthetic value at all. That's rather separate, although a race/civilization could certainly have their own modifiers for things if ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Personally, I think a raw tag with an "aesthetic value" multiplier would work fine. That is to say, something with almost purely aesthetic value like a statue could have a multiplier of 10 to its base value for purposes of "admiration" and (perhaps) things like room value, whereas something which is partly for aesthetic value, like furniture, could have closer to 6, and something which is almost entirely utilitarian, like an animal trap or a millstone might have a multiplier of, say, 2 or something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »

Decorative items should be universally appreciated, of course. There could be a couple of personality traits that affect it, obviously. But I think that functional items should cause happy thoughts in dwarves who have skills in the labor required to make the item. Professional appreciation, as it were.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:51 pm »

I disagree.  If you have hugely pretty statues right next to ugly wooden chairs and grody mechanisms sticking out of the walls, there's some aesthetic dissonance there.  Even animal traps are susceptable.

Having anything low-quality and ugly, or even less valuable, should detract from the aesthetic appeal of an area...even if the purely aesthetic things like statues and engravings are AWESOME.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:39:13 pm »

I disagree. That adamantine statue WILL make your dwarves forget about all the other stuff.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:33:02 pm »

I disagree.  If you have hugely pretty statues right next to ugly wooden chairs and grody mechanisms sticking out of the walls, there's some aesthetic dissonance there.  Even animal traps are susceptable.

Having anything low-quality and ugly, or even less valuable, should detract from the aesthetic appeal of an area...even if the purely aesthetic things like statues and engravings are AWESOME.

So anything more than, say 2 standard deviations counts against (gaudy for too high, trashy for too low) rather than for?
Pages: [1] 2