Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspend fortress  (Read 3150 times)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suspend fortress
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

I know there's a lot of problems with visiting a "real" fortress with an adventurer, but in the short term, most of those could be "solved" by simply ignoring them.  First dry all the mud and destroy any farm plots, then move everything into stockpiles if there's room, and save all the units and objects.  The fort is then effectively put into stasis and nobody does anything other than mill about aimlessly (this includes getting hungry or going crazy), until the fort is reactivated, or an adventurer interacts in some way.

And adventurer can interact with a suspended fortress in four ways: recruiting soldiers for adventure, trading with shops built during the economy, getting quests from whoever is willing to give them, or aggravating the populace.  If you choose to retire there, your character hides in the walls until forces unknown call upon him once again, or maybe just sits around as a useless npc during fort mode.

Sure, some people will abuse this to get an endless fountain of iron bars (create character, strip naked, reactivate fortress, melt metal items) or otherwise, but that's their problem.  I want to be able to start a city, suspend it, start a mine, abandon that, then haul the bars and gems to the city as an adventurer, extending the life of the city somewhat.  Think of it as a kind of primitive Caravans Arc.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Suspend fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

I'd rather handle this properly when I get to it instead of spending time on a half measure that won't necessarily be related to the completed feature.  The adventure mode dwarf fortresses aren't completed and retired player fortresses should work with the same mechanics as these, so I have to do adv mode dwarf fortresses first.  Since I'm going to do those using the mechanics in place from dwarf mode, it might be easier to see the path forward to reversing these procedures when that's done.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »

Any Progress on this as far as anyone knows?  I know it is an incredibly popular change.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 04:00:31 am »

The new world gen economy code might be a small piece of the solution, but that's about it.