Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clay?  (Read 3071 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay?
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

Clay is much easier to make then glass (I'm pretty sure, since it has been much more common in early human history) so why not have the kiln also bake clay stuff? I'm not sure what exactly you could make at a kiln that would be useful for your fort besides trade items. You would either mine out clay, or have a "gather" command same as sand. The only difference is that is is more common, but not as valuable.

You could make almost everything our of clay that you can makeout of glass, except windows of course.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Clay?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

Weve asked for pottery a number of times so far. The general concensus is that its doable, Toady just lacks the time to work with it.

It would be very nice to have however. As clay is pretty much unlimited un supply. There are varying qualities and decorations that can go with it such as glazes, paints, porcelain vs terra cotta etc.

I cant see dwarves making fine china though, its something more in line with humans or the elves, although the elves probably wouldnt make anythign that requires a kiln to bake.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I could see dwarves make bricks (blocks) and jugs/urns (barrels). As a side note glass barrels (jugs) would be nice too.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

I think we should at least be able to mod in the ability to make glass weapons and armor, like in Oblivion.

A glass sword would do a lot of damage, but it would wear out pretty fast.  If we're doing things the "realistic" way...

Clay would be great to make stuff out of.  However, clay doesn't show up on all maps, so there might be some disputes arising from not having full capabilities in any given area.

But think about it.  We could make our very own terracotta army for a great dwarf's tomb.  Not to mention plenty of useless pots and idols to sell to the tourists.

Yeah, fine china would be a bit strange.  The old saying about a dwarf in a china shop comes to mind.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

Putting clay soldiers in tombs would be awesome, or to guard a base entrance.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Putting clay soldiers in tombs would be awesome, or to guard a base entrance.</STRONG>

Especially once golems and such make it in.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I think we should at least be able to mod in the ability to make glass weapons and armor, like in Oblivion.
A glass sword would do a lot of damage, but it would wear out pretty fast.  If we're doing things the "realistic" way...</STRONG>

Your view of glass has been majorly askewed by that game, glass would make a terrible armor because it's not flexible, repairable, or able to take a hit. The first hit to a piece of glass armor would destroy it, and a glass "weapon" (unless it was less than say, two inches long, and only used for slashing unarmored creatures) would be near useless because it would just shatter against any piece of real armor.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Well, yeah.  It'd still be cool.

And is making a palace entirely out of glass, complete with glass carpentry shops and smithies any more realistic?

Sure, glass is a horrible material for making anything non-decorative out of.  But dwarves can make infinite amounts of it, and the glass in oblivion just happens to be green, the same color as the standard glass made here.

At least allow glass marbles.  My uncle makes marbles as a profession, and some of the things he's come out with are pretty damn solid, enough to hurt.  If dwarves can decapitate people with coins, imagine what they could do with marbles...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>
Your view of glass has been majorly askewed by that game, glass would make a terrible armor because it's not flexible, repairable, or able to take a hit. The first hit to a piece of glass armor would destroy it, and a glass "weapon" (unless it was less than say, two inches long, and only used for slashing unarmored creatures) would be near useless because it would just shatter against any piece of real armor.</STRONG>

The green glass armor in oblivion was not manmade glass, it was a special sort of extremely valuable magical volcanic glass mined from the red mountain area. It made good weapons and armor because of the same magical reasons adamantine makes good bolts, hammers and maces despite being the lightest material in the game.

So maybe once magic gets in, this would be possible. normal glass, yes, would make a miserable weapon or piece of armor for many reasons.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

There are plans for making glass weapons like obsidian swords and things act more like glass.  Theres even a [BRITTLE] tag that currently does nothing.

I agree with the clay thing.  Be a pain to get though as I don't see clay very often in game. Maybe if you knew where to look like with sand.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

Clay exists, it's just a matter of time until it's useful.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

Really?  Clay exists?

I thought my dwarves were just having a mass hallucination brought on by too much gnomeblight, and that they were mistaking the sandy loam for something else entirely!

Yeah, clay exists.  And I'm pretty sure it shows up on the mineral list like any other soil layer, so you can figure out whether or not your starting area has it.  Just a little hard to figure out where it is on the bigger map.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

plus you should be able to "mine" clay from rivers, lakes and other bodies of moving water.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Brittle materials would be useless for armor, and their use for single material weapons would be limited to unarmored squishy foes...

...but what about the obsidian sword type weapons? What about embedding sharpened hunks of glass, obsidian, ceramic, or other sharp-but-brittle materials, in a sturdy but soft base material like wood? You could make wicked sick traps with green glass shards embedded in a wooden disc for your large serrated discs.

Also, do want leaded glass!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Chaos F

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.clublash.com
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Giant amphoras would be nice- pottery barrels! Save the planet and keep the elves happy  :D
I> "Man is the pie that bakes and eats itself"
Pages: [1] 2