Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245611 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #540 on: December 10, 2009, 08:47:04 pm »

SO I decided to dive into Python in the last week, mainly becauise I am interested in Django for web applications.
http://www.djangoproject.com/

I also started doing some Pygame tutorials just to see how it goes, pretty easy to get a little crappy game going. I decided to look at roguelike engines for Python and saw one on Pygame but it wasnt so feature-rich.

THEN! I noticed that the libtocd engine that is used for Doryen, Pyromancer, and other titles has Python bindings available. I of course downloaded right away.

THEN AGAIN! I foudn this awesome tutorial on python roguelike development with libtocd:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod
I got a basic roguelike up in about an hour or so. AMAZING! libtocd is pretty awesome! And Python is easy to learn

I got nothing

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 10, 2009, 10:45:40 pm »

SO I decided to dive into Python in the last week, mainly becauise I am interested in Django for web applications.
http://www.djangoproject.com/
I got a basic roguelike up in about an hour or so. AMAZING! libtocd is pretty awesome! And Python is easy to learn

Awesome. I looked into django awhile back, but I didn't have a website at the time. If you ever put a demo or a complete game up, let us know since I'd love to see a Django rl game on the web. I think it'd be the first. I just opted for Silverlight since the Microsoft IDE is so good and it writes the basic html for you.

I should look more into Django. How difficult do you think it will be to get the python app on a web page?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #542 on: December 11, 2009, 01:35:30 am »

the whole point of Django is to deliver Python apps, but as far as running it similar to Java or Silverlight, I am not sure.

Usually, Python and Django are used to build web applications and services, I have not seen a live game type app running. There is also Jython which lets you use the JRE with Python.
I got nothing

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 19, 2009, 09:17:04 am »

Ruby/Gosu combo ain't that bad. I, the complete buffoon, could come up with something like this: a rather big screenie

Can draw tiles, can type text, can draw from anywhere within the buffer (array of symbols) etc.

And to top all that, I've learned a fair bit about Ruby! I'm feeling all giddy. Can't wait to get started on the actual game engine. Got to refactor the methods to be handled by some sort of input/output scheduler.

Edit: I just made random terrain generator work. I'm so excited!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:21:53 pm by Mipe »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 20, 2009, 01:01:29 am »

Sort of off topic, but with all the new language talk going around, has anyone messed with Clojure?  I watched a few videos on it and it all sounds sane.  I was interested in coding up a nice little concurrent "app" with it as an intro.  I'm most likely still going to do it, but I was curious if anyone's used it and had thoughts on it (good or bad.) ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:31 pm »

I'm offically announcing JE3D, the ASCII(Or tilesets) game development C++ super ultra mega development toolkit!

Features:
 I/O stuff built in to the engine with a message logger!
 Cross-platform, Cross-renderer! (Right now only supports Windows and OpenGL due to me not getting around to doing Linux/DirectX)
 Tiles with RGB colours for background and RGB colours for the tileset icon. (eg: red letter 'a' with a white background)
 State system! (States can have child states and stuff)
 OCD-compliant source code!
 LGPL license!
 Keyboard input/output sent directly to states!
 Can be compiled into the app itself or as a DLL!

That's a rough idea of what it is.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 09, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

I've got a correction for the OP. Flash development can be done for free quite easily using the free command-line compiler:

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/download?build=3.5.0.12683&pkgtype=1

Adobe insists on writing and naming everything as if it depends on the Flex UI component framework, but it doesn't. This can be used to compiler a swf directly from a "main" Actionscript class.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »

I've got a correction for the OP. Flash development can be done for free quite easily using the free command-line compiler:

http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/download?build=3.5.0.12683&pkgtype=1

Adobe insists on writing and naming everything as if it depends on the Flex UI component framework, but it doesn't. This can be used to compiler a swf directly from a "main" Actionscript class.
In case there's still interest in AS3/AS2 development, FlashDevelop is really great for doing Flash development if you don't need the SVG editor of Flash, but it's limited to Windows only last time I checked.  There was interest in doing a Mono port, but I don't know how far that got.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:43 am »

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it for op, but the terror in ascIIdungeon tutorial is apparently gone, kaput, no more, ceased to be. Which is too bad because it was pretty good despite some shoddy code.

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »

There was interest in doing a Mono port, but I don't know how far that got.

Mono as in libmono?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »

There was interest in doing a Mono port, but I don't know how far that got.

Mono as in libmono?
Here is the thread regarding the port... it looks like it's stale right now though and the developers are resting on MonoDevelop picking up AS development:
http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3756

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »

The link to Terror in ASCII Dungeon! A C++ Tutorial For Codephobes is no longer under the same domain. Does anyone have this thing saved or something? I really want to use that tutorial!!

If you have it, could you email me at pokemaughan@hotmail.com? I'd appreciate it immensely.
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

pat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 27, 2010, 07:15:35 pm »

I've been lurking this thread for inspiration and help with pathfinding, etc as I have been sloppily putting together an action-roguelike prototype java applet.

I'm running out of steam to get it finished by adding items and a potential game ending (beyond inevitable zombie carnage) but if you're interested:

www.magnuscanis.com/runandhide/

java has left me feeling unloved so I've switched to python + libtcod in an effort to start a real-time combat-heavy roguelike. Thanks for reading my post :^)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »

I've been lurking this thread for inspiration and help with pathfinding, etc as I have been sloppily putting together an action-roguelike prototype java applet.

I'm running out of steam to get it finished by adding items and a potential game ending (beyond inevitable zombie carnage) but if you're interested:

www.magnuscanis.com/runandhide/

java has left me feeling unloved so I've switched to python + libtcod in an effort to start a real-time combat-heavy roguelike. Thanks for reading my post :^)
No love for laptops without a keypad...  :-\ (even with it fn-locked)

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »

The link to Terror in ASCII Dungeon! A C++ Tutorial For Codephobes is no longer under the same domain. Does anyone have this thing saved or something? I really want to use that tutorial!!

If you have it, could you email me at pokemaughan@hotmail.com? I'd appreciate it immensely.

You could try the The Way Back Machine.

I found the following so far:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070903094602/http://cgempire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379
http://web.archive.org/web/20080523094243rn_1/www.cgempire.com/forum/tutorials-101/terror-ascii-dungeon-c-tutorial-codephobes-part-4-a-1556.html

I am not sure how much that the above links capture of the original, since I never really read the whole thing, but hopefully there's enough there to help you. Good luck.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 72