Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245639 times)

Molehill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #510 on: October 19, 2009, 11:48:19 am »

I'm working on a game in c using pdcurses. Does anyone know how to set the console properties on a window? Specifically the properties found by right clicking on the window. I want to set the size of the characters and lock the window so it can't be resized or modified by right clicking.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #511 on: October 19, 2009, 11:56:37 am »

it depends... are you using the default windows console or are you using the Pdcurses console?  if you use the windows one you could modify them with the <console> header.  Info here: http://www.adrianxw.dk/SoftwareSite/Consoles/Consoles1.html

if you're using the pdcurses window... there's the documentation: http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/doc/PDCurses.txt
good luck... :P

I don't think the user can resize that window if you don't use this:
Code: [Select]
WINDOW *resize_window(WINDOW *win, int nlines, int ncols);
He shouldn't be able to do it by himself.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Molehill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 19, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

I can't find what I'm looking for in either of those pages. I don't mean changing the number of characters visible, like with resize_term(). I want to change the size of the characters, the way you can by right clicking on a console window and selecting properties, then font. As for the user being able to resize the window, the user can't make it larger, but the user can drag the lower right corner and make the window smaller, which doesn't affect anything but I'd like to disable anyway.

ADOM does this, and I believe the windows version was done in pdcurses. ADOM also uses a different font than a usual windows console, so I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to do is possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by which console I'm using. I'm using pdcurses functions like resize_term and move, but I wasn't aware that pdcurses provided it's own console, if that's what you mean.

Anyway, it's not that important, but if anyone knows how to do it I'd love to find out.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:04 am »

Quote from: Molehill
I can't find what I'm looking for in either of those pages. I don't mean changing the number of characters visible, like with resize_term(). I want to change the size of the characters, the way you can by right clicking on a console window and selecting properties, then font. As for the user being able to resize the window, the user can't make it larger, but the user can drag the lower right corner and make the window smaller, which doesn't affect anything but I'd like to disable anyway.
sorry, I misunderstood you. 
ADOM does this, and I believe the windows version was done in pdcurses. ADOM also uses a different font than a usual windows console, so I'm pretty sure what I'm trying to do is possible.
ADOM was written for Linux and ncurses, later ported to DOS and PDCurses.  That's all I could find... :/
I'm not sure what you mean by which console I'm using. I'm using pdcurses functions like resize_term and move, but I wasn't aware that pdcurses provided it's own console, if that's what you mean.
I expressed myself badly there.  Depending on what .dll you're using for pdcurses you can have the window directly in the console (like in LCS) or have a window that looks like the one in DF.  I think that the former can be modified by the windows console header.  But I'm not sure about the latter.  Well, that was , at least, what I had to do to change my roguelike from the window look to the "LCS" console look...
Anyway, it's not that important, but if anyone knows how to do it I'd love to find out.
If I can find out about this matters I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:15:47 am by Alexhans »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:21 am »

ADoM? The more recent windows versions seems to use a graphics library directly or something.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2009, 07:24:53 am »

possibly sdl?  I think there's a couple of info on adding your own bmp based fonts to use with pdcurses.

Molehill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:23 pm »

Looking at it again I think you guys are right, he's not using curses. What I read must have been outdated. In that case it looks like what I was trying to do may not be possible. Thanks for the responses.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 01, 2009, 03:41:22 am »

Firstly, why isn't this thread stickied?

Secondly, CGEmpire.com appears to have been bought out and taken out. Which means that totally awesome C++ Roguelike tutorial is just gone. Google still has a cache of it, but its a pain in the ass. Anyone know of any more C++ tutorials under a similar banner? (games, roguelike, etc)

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 05, 2009, 08:34:30 am »

Shameful bump. No body has nothin?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 05, 2009, 08:47:18 am »

Have you missed this?
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41519.0
Take a look at Tower of Azari.  You'll be gladly surprised.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 05, 2009, 08:51:25 am »

Have you missed this?
Hrm? Sorry, I don't understand why you are referring me to this. Timmeh hasn't even released the source for Tower of Azari yet. Does he have a tutorial up or something?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #521 on: November 06, 2009, 09:37:14 pm »

With a roguelike, first you need a way of drawing your map.

Then a way of having both the player and enemies.

After that, a way of writing text to the view.

Once all that is in, THEN you want to bother with "advanced" features, such as saving, loading, map generation.

Since having a player to walk around with is nice, and being able to output debug information in-game is also very important.

Of course, the best option is to have a fairly decent general-purpose framework that you can copy whenever you want to start a new game, one that has all the basic drawing and input functions in place already.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 06, 2009, 09:44:21 pm »

Have you missed this?
Hrm? Sorry, I don't understand why you are referring me to this. Timmeh hasn't even released the source for Tower of Azari yet. Does he have a tutorial up or something?
He HAS released the source code.  Check his last release... there's a folder called "source"... and there's the codeblocks project file if you want...

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 24, 2009, 02:41:24 am »

Terror in ASCII Dungeon! A C++ Tutorial For Codephobes Both a very nice introduction to programming in C++, and instead of a boring "Hello, World!" app you make a roguelike instead!
NOOOOOOOOOO!!
It redirects to somewhere else. I need it. :(

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 24, 2009, 04:46:05 am »

Yeah I know I'm shattered. Though I figured out that you can CnP the link into google and check out the cached version. Its all text and ugly, but its there.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 72