Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245645 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:09 am »

As long as there is a smallish fixed limit of the maximum children parts, an array of pointers might actually work better than a linked list.

If you limited it to 4 other parts at most, you only need an array of 4, and it should work better with less fancy code, and run faster.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2009, 10:04:59 am »

@deadlycairn:  You can always use STL (Standard Template Library) elements.  There are pre-defined linked lists and other stuff that are very useful and efficient.  You want to learn how a vector works at least.

This thread is excellent.  :)

@justinhoffman:  Keep at it.  I'd love to see it progress.

I've never stored data on XMLs (I recall reading about them but never took much interest)...  Does someone know a good tutorial or have some good examples about it?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2009, 11:15:46 pm »

4 other parts at most... might just be a problem. My small-ish ship clocked in at about 60 tiles. I may need to rethink how I'm doing things.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 07, 2009, 11:00:07 am »

Ok I've jsut finished the first video of the wrathlands tutorial and there are a few discrepancies between our codes that I had to add to make it work, just wondering if anyone can tell me why.

http://rs169l3.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi?rsuploadid=152423384442990070

This is the download links for my entire folder in a .rar with comments in it detailing the differences, I've also summarised them below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

justinhoffman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 07, 2009, 03:03:56 pm »

Ok, just started a blog on my Roguelike.

I just wrote an article on how I am handling stealth if anyone is interested.

http://forgeoftheelements.blogspot.com/

I'm gonna put some pictures of the UI up tonight.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 08, 2009, 03:13:02 am »

I'd love to give the whole basic rogue dev thing another go once there are a few more guides to HTML 5 out there. Because watching some HTML5 demos has me mighty inspired.

justinhoffman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 08, 2009, 10:10:12 am »

I'd love to give the whole basic rogue dev thing another go once there are a few more guides to HTML 5 out there. Because watching some HTML5 demos has me mighty inspired.

wait, what?  Roguelike in HTML5?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:33 am »

wait, what?  Roguelike in HTML5?

It's certainly possible with some of the stuff that's coming out in demonstration. Mostly to do with fancy javascript such as processing.js. Heck, it sounds like WebGL will be part of the HTML5 standard by the end of it, so we may see entire 3D action games built directly into the web browser soon without need for any plugins at all. A roguelike would be moderately easy with the Canvas function. Check out some of these demos demonstrating what jQuery can do: http://webstandard.kulando.de/post/2009/08/03/jquery-games-memory-tetris-puzzle-slotmachine-blackjack

Mind the standard is far from complete and Microsoft didn't join up to get involved in HTML5 until /yesterday/, so it's a ways off.

http://9elements.com/io/projects/html5/canvas/ This is my favorite, non-game demo currently.

All demos require a decent/up to date browser. I'm using Chrome 3 beta but Firefox 3.51 has HTML5 support and so do some versions of Safari and Opera (which I do not know the numbers of because I do not follow them)

justinhoffman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2009, 09:22:29 am »

All of my spells have been entered in, this step took a lot longer than I thought.

I'm going to finish up the buffing, escape spell, and healing spell AI and then move on to wands.

Full list of my spells here.

http://forgeoftheelements.blogspot.com/2009/08/game-mechanics-spell-casting.html

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2009, 09:04:59 pm »

Hey, something that could do with being added to the first post under Python libraries is WConio.  It's a library I've taken to using for my game.  It's enables lots of nice little console things but is lacking in a few places.  I went ahead and created my own little addition to it, which I'll just toss in a spoiler.  I named it dunlib simply because I intended it for dungeon crawl games.  I apologize for the hugeness of the opening bit of the code there.  Half the stuff probably isn't necessary, but I keep it along anyways. 
Spoiler: dunlib.py (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:29:27 pm by Taritus »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 31, 2009, 02:37:19 am »

EDIT:
Ignore this post. Problem solved - I was right, it was a stupid mistake. :-[
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:44:35 am by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:21 am »

This thread is GOLD!  :D

I'm in the process of reading through every page, and programming along, so to speak. I'll also post screenies to help my motivation, which can be lacking sometimes.

Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 06, 2009, 01:29:26 pm »

It seems that the forum on which the Terror in ASCII Dungeon tutorial was hosted has gone under, does anyone have an alternative source for it?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #508 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:08 pm »

mmm... I don't but I might have saved it in my old PC to read offline... I'll look into it ASAP (not before tonight).

meanwhile... have you tried this one?:RogueLulz, Part I: Drawing the Map, Walking Around, Basic Monsters and Attacking.  It's pretty helpful to give you the initial push...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2009, 12:05:34 am »

So I've advanced quite a bit since my last post here.. I now have LOS for all creatures, possibility for multiple creature types(though only dwarves(dwarfs? I forget which DF uses.) right now) plug-in AI (only a slim FSM variant currently) somewhat standalone map generation (still a few ties to the gamestate and creature generation is static).

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. I want to implement a Limbs-system and(of course) a Item/Inventory-system but I'm not completely sure which to do first.
I could do the items first with a sort of disembodied inventory and the current health system (simple stat-based HP), this would make items easier in the short term.However,I'd have to rework it once I do get limbs in (plus, I already have the possibility of hitting different limbs thanks to colorful "Hit Area Maps" that should probably be done away with somehow)

Suggestions?
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72