Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245516 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #915 on: February 06, 2013, 09:00:53 am »

Not skype, but I did see a roguelike collab (coordinated on threads and weekly IRC chats) that went somewhere, but it foundered and died. 100C.

The main problem was, of course, too high idea-man to programmer/artist ratio.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:05:51 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #916 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:58 am »

Hahahahah! I figure there are enough programmers in this forum to make something work. The problem would be getting them all working on one project and not THEIR project :)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #917 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:19 am »

And that's why companies have to bribe programmers with money to make them work.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:20 am »

Hi, I was attempting to get PDcurses to work again and found out that it's quite old and doesn't have support for windows 7. Instead of finding a workaround for a dead library, I thought I should find a new one. I did a small amount of research and thought that ncurses might be a good alternative.

I am looking to create a small, very basic game that displays a map and allows a character to move around the screen with user input. Can you guys recommend any libraries that could do this and replace PDcurses?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #919 on: February 20, 2013, 01:26:36 am »

... libtcod? :P

It's what I use. People do say that it's not a library that's well designed in terms of usability.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 20, 2013, 08:58:42 am »

Hmm, I thought I used that once. I thought it was only for like text based games or something strange like that, I'll go look it up right now. What's appearently so bad about it's usability?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #921 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:43 am »

It's an ASCII library, though you can retro fit it to have tiles like DF.
It's function-based, and smells more like C than C++ for the C++ version of it. The person who made it made good functions, but they're a bit hard to use. For example, the printRect(), print(), and a few other functions aren't intuitive.

I think it's pretty good, though.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:55 am »

Hi, I was attempting to get PDcurses to work again and found out that it's quite old and doesn't have support for windows 7. Instead of finding a workaround for a dead library, I thought I should find a new one. I did a small amount of research and thought that ncurses might be a good alternative.

Hmm.. I use PDcurses pretty much exclusively and I'm on Windows7.  I haven't had any issues.  Granted, it is old, but it's a library that I'm really comfortable using plus its very portable.

It would be nice if there was a more modern library.  At one point I thought about making a curses type library under SDL using the same principles as curses but was graphically oriented instead of using the console.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #923 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:27 am »

What are the general principles of curses? O.o

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 20, 2013, 02:11:45 pm »

Well my problem with PDCurses is that it doesn't compile the .a file. It gives some errors about it not finding things. It might have been that the Program Files folder is technically read-only, but I can't find a way to fix that since it just re-enables it after I disable it.

EDIT: I decided to throw it in my documents rather than program files and it worked. Back on the PDcurses saddle I guess!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:05:41 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »

Anyone thinking about doing the 7DRL 2013?  It starts up in a few weeks.  I'm thinking about giving it a shot.  I never seem to finish one, so maybe this will force me to :P

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 17, 2013, 07:13:43 pm »

Hello, I was looking to start programming, at least a little bit now that I understand classes and polymorphism and other such things a lot better. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Library to use for C++.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 17, 2013, 07:19:03 pm »

Hello, I was looking to start programming, at least a little bit now that I understand classes and polymorphism and other such things a lot better. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Library to use for C++.

I've started using libtcod for Python, I think a C++ version exists. It's pretty neat!

Also so happy this popped back up, I just started programming a roguelike last week. It'll be a really long time before it's awesome and playable, but this thread is nice.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 17, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »

libtcod, that's the one I remember. Didn't know there was a C++ version!
Also I would love for you to tell me all about your roguelike. I'm new to the development process and I really have no idea where to start!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 17, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »

libtcod, that's the one I remember. Didn't know there was a C++ version!
Also I would love for you to tell me all about your roguelike. I'm new to the development process and I really have no idea where to start!

This is actually my first project bigger than something small (to solve problems or compute data from a game or stuff). I am following a tutorial to start to see how all the little parts come together to make something big...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 72