Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245530 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2012, 07:46:23 am »

Man, I wish we had those over here. But alas, only in the schools.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

somatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 08, 2012, 12:15:28 am »

It's alive! Combat-- very, very basic combat-- is working:

It doesn't seem like much but it took 20 steps to get there. The fact that my understanding of the inner workings of C++ is shaky at best hasn't helped. I struggled with vectors all day today. What I wanted to do was return a pointer to an object in a vector of objects. Sounds simple, right? After 2 hours, I found out that the correct syntax, for an iterator "i", was:

Code: [Select]
return &(*i);
Holy syntax, Batman! Little things like that get me stuck for hours.

The foundations of the game have been coming along well; I've been spending the time to do it right instead of fast. Other things in this version are word wrap for the information window, and my final map concept. A map can be constructed with nothing more than the vectors of its actors, items, traps, special locations, and a 2D array of location objects that keeps track of tile types and discovered tiles. All of the other information is generated-- reverse engineered, sort of-- when a new map is loaded.

I think that when the engine is finally finished, ready to turn into a game, I'll release a demo. Call it Escape from the Big Room, or something. It'll have all of the game features, but it'll be a lunchtime roguelike-- meant to entertain for 15-20 minutes.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 08, 2012, 11:27:19 pm »

I have a lot of good ideas for roguelikes and I've been wanting to start dicking around and making my own but I can't seem to get into it. I learned java up to the AP level but I've gotten rusty at this point and want to do something in C++ I think anyways. I know the transition to C++ is pretty easy it's mostly the same thing, but I can't figure out where to go from here and even use things like roguelike libraries and such.

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2012, 11:47:02 pm »

Anyone have all the ASCII letters on a single color background? I've looked around and can't find it anywhere!

I've decided to have a serious go at a roguelike! I'm going to limit myself to 1 hour of playing games and a hour of surfing the net and convert them into programming. (I expect to spend a few days curled up on the floor going through withdrawal but other than that I'll be fine...hopefully)

EDIT: Just in case anyone else is having the same problems I was there are a whole bunch of ASCII tile sheets in the dwarf fortress wiki http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#16.C3.9716_tilesets here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:01:05 pm by Whitefoxsniper »

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:55 am »

The source code for a VERY simple roguelike that is well commented should be good enough to set some people off (me)
I have finally made some progress in C++ by reading C++ for dummies XD
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

somatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 12, 2012, 08:01:00 pm »

This tutorial helped me out a lot. It's short, simple, and by the end of it you have a moving character that opens and closes doors. (The last article is 4; there is no 5). For a real game you'd want to evolve the structure to be a lot more flexible, but, the point is just to get a tiny, basic thing working, and it does that great IMHO.

The author uses his own custom functions for output, but just translate those functions to whatever output method you're using.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Python RL tutorial - failing
« Reply #681 on: January 29, 2012, 01:11:56 am »

I've had an idea for some roguelike combat stuff buzzing in my brain, and decided that I wanted to try making something simple in Python.

Tried out this tutorial, but I'm hitting a snag that I can't seem to resolve.

Here is the error I'm getting:
c:\Programming\Field Marshal\FieldMarshal_Python>python rltut.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rltut.py", line 1, in <module>
    import libtcodpy as libtcod
  File "c:\Programming\Field Marshal\FieldMarshal_Python\libtcodpy.py", line 41, in <module>
    _lib = ctypes.cdll['./libtcod-mingw.dll']
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 428, in __getitem__
    return getattr(self, name)
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 423, in __getattr__
    dll = self._dlltype(name)
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found

I've been searching a bit, but haven't found an actual solution yet. The tutorial mentions this as a possible error if you're running it from Notepad++, but I'm running it directly from the command line in the directory where the files are. So that shouldn't be it.

I also found something saying that having a 64 bit Python could be a problem, so I just tried unitstalling Python and reinstalling it with a fresh 32 bit version. No dice.

Anyone else gone through this and found a solution? I've only gotten to the first part of the tutorial. Seems a shame to quit on it so early.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Python RL tutorial - failing
« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:47 am »

Quoted from the same site;
The problem is this: Notepad++ and Python are smart enough to run the file, but not smart enough to initialize the "current directory" to the file's directory. So when trying to load libtcod, Python looks for it in all the usual places except where you put libtcod.

Do this
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_Python%2Blibtcod,_extras#A_neat_Python_shortcut_for_Notepad.2B.2B

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 29, 2012, 02:51:48 pm »

Tried that, just to see, but it didn't help anything. I'm not running it from Notepad++ anyway, I'm running directly from the command line, so I didn't think that was the problem.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Python RL tutorial - failing
« Reply #684 on: January 29, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »

I've had an idea for some roguelike combat stuff buzzing in my brain, and decided that I wanted to try making something simple in Python.

Tried out this tutorial, but I'm hitting a snag that I can't seem to resolve.

Here is the error I'm getting:
c:\Programming\Field Marshal\FieldMarshal_Python>python rltut.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "rltut.py", line 1, in <module>
    import libtcodpy as libtcod
  File "c:\Programming\Field Marshal\FieldMarshal_Python\libtcodpy.py", line 41, in <module>
    _lib = ctypes.cdll['./libtcod-mingw.dll']
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 428, in __getitem__
    return getattr(self, name)
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 423, in __getattr__
    dll = self._dlltype(name)
  File "C:\Programming\Python 2.7\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
    self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found

I've been searching a bit, but haven't found an actual solution yet. The tutorial mentions this as a possible error if you're running it from Notepad++, but I'm running it directly from the command line in the directory where the files are. So that shouldn't be it.

I also found something saying that having a 64 bit Python could be a problem, so I just tried unitstalling Python and reinstalling it with a fresh 32 bit version. No dice.

Anyone else gone through this and found a solution? I've only gotten to the first part of the tutorial. Seems a shame to quit on it so early.

Do you have all of the necessary .dll files in your folder?, Because that's what it looks like as far as I can see. You should have SDL.dll, libtcod-mingw.dll and also have the libtcodpy.py in the same folder as the rltut.py.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 29, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

Ah! I had libtcod-gui-mingw.dll and not libtcod-mingw.dll. That was it. Just missed that every time I looked at the dlls. Thanks!
Come play Mafia with us!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:21 am »

I've been lazily following this tutorial, and it is pretty fun. There are so many things I know I will have to redo later, but it's running, which is the only thing that REALLY matters.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:03 pm »

There is barely any tutorial to C++. I have been trying the language for some days and I like it, but really, you can't find a single tutorial? I've never expected that off the internet.

I hardly do anything without a tutorial  ::)

All the links for C++ (and lotsa other languages) are broken here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:00:50 pm by Davichococat »

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:20 pm »

There is barely any tutorial to C++. I have been trying the language for some days and I like it, but really, you can't find a single tutorial? I've never expected that off the internet.

I hardly do anything without a tutorial  ::)

All the links for C++ (and lotsa other languages) are broken here.

www.learncpp.com

Not roguelike oriented, but teaches the language really well, so you can apply the roguelike concepts from tutorials in other languages like this one:

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod

it's how I learned C++

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:04 am »

Hi guys,

To Davichococat & da dwarf lord:

I made a hopefully simple library written in C++ called sEZRL [simple Easy Roguelike Library]. I mentioned it earlier in this long thread.

I have made an update to it recently, but I am not 100% finished. However, since I saw this thread tonight I thought I'd link you to the updated library.

It is written in C++, it uses SDL, and comes with a completely set up Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 project file. So to get it to work all you have to do is download MSVC++ 2010 express, download and install SDL, and then run it.

I've been trying to get this up for some time, but life and other responsibilities took over. So I've only made one video so far and it's not complete, but maybe between it and the documentation and help on my website will give you something to work with. To demo the possibilities of the library I've created a game called Temple of Vengeance [a roguelike, obv.].

So I'll link you to the supplies and I do hope to make it more complete in the future. If you need help ask and I can try to help or there's many other helpful/knowledgeable people here too.

Library: http://dephbokks.com/dephbokks-programming-article.html [make sure to download the "new" release using MSVC++ 2010 express] : requires MSVC++ and SDL as indicated above.

Link to my unpublished youtube video showing off the new features (it is crappy since I've not edited it yet and was prolly drinking red wine when I made it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTdcKfzei0.

Link to EZRL Guide: http://dephbokks.com/dephbokks-programming-article/55.html... This guide is for the last version using MSVC++ 2008, but most still applies. Also check the rest of my site dephbokks.com for more complete documentation.

Link to the game made with it: http://dephbokks.com/dephbokks-games-menu/64.html

So, I am trying to finish up the videos showing off the library & how to use it as well as my Temple of Vengeance game so if it does not suit your needs at this time, try to look into it later and hopefully I'll be able to announce a more comprehensive video series/updates to sEZRL. Take it easy,
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 72