Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245536 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #645 on: March 07, 2011, 09:31:08 pm »

Yes, thanks, I found that one for Python but right now I'm starting to learn C++ (yes, it was C++) and using another language will surely mess with my head. Though I'll surely give it a go when/if I get more experienced.

I manged to load the 4 parts of Terror in ASCII dungeon from the internet archive, so I'll copy them and make a pdf, though I'm not sure if I could redistribute it.

Any other C++ tutorials will be welcome!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:06 pm »

So I'm listening to my own advice and ditching all the needless complexity that I'd built into the very front of my roguelike plan, and skipping ahead to the playable part.  Worldgen can wait until later (and seriously, just you wait, it'll blow your minds).

I'm a C# vet, but I'm considering doing this in Java.  Never actually did much with Java aside from it being a bludgeoning tool in university and writing a couple 'droid apps, so I know my way around it but not any of the libraries or compatibility issues.

I want Windows and Linux compatibility.  This is NOT a strict Curses based game; ASCII is just the default tileset.  Does anyone have experience with:
A.  How much of a bitch it is to compile C# with SDL on Linux?  It works fine for me on Windows (observe my Darklands remake), but I've never tried porting.
B.  How much of a pain it is to make Java not have a braindead, moronic windowing system?  Last time I used Java for much, it was very insistent on "Your menus must look like Java menus!  Your windows must look like Java windows!  Platform independence means ugliness!".  I hate it so much.  Can Java actually look pretty on different OSes?
C.  Just to get off the ground a little faster, does anyone know of a simple tile engine for C# or Java?  If there are any, they've probably already been posted in this thread, but it's a lot of pages and search sucks on these forums...

Thanks!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 18, 2011, 03:06:48 pm »

I've recently been thinking about how to go about storytelling in my roguelike. I'm currently considering doing a Brütal Legend style thing, with certain events and actions unlocking short stories about the world's past. How do you people thing storytelling should be done in a roguelike if at all?
I guess you make a window appear that tells some story? Kinda like Cave Story IIRC.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 18, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

I've recently been thinking about how to go about storytelling in my roguelike. I'm currently considering doing a Brütal Legend style thing, with certain events and actions unlocking short stories about the world's past. How do you people thing storytelling should be done in a roguelike if at all?
I guess you make a window appear that tells some story? Kinda like Cave Story IIRC.
ADOM had decent storytelling.  There's some brief stuff in the manual, and brief interactions with NPCs let you piece things together...like a bard who tells you poetry/songs if you're willing to listen, or a ruler who has some exposition that you'd normally listen to before getting him to unlock something.

But, I'd make *ALL* the storytelling optional, where you don't have to sit through it at all.  I mean...it's a roguelike.  You replay it a LOT.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 18, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »

B.  How much of a pain it is to make Java not have a braindead, moronic windowing system?  Last time I used Java for much, it was very insistent on "Your menus must look like Java menus!  Your windows must look like Java windows!  Platform independence means ugliness!".  I hate it so much.  Can Java actually look pretty on different OSes?
You mean like the border-less windows some apps do with transparency, etc?  A quick search for "Java borderless" will get quite a few results.

There are ways to change the look and feel a bit with Swing: http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/sce/index.html

There's also JavaFX: http://www.javafx.com/

Heck, there's tons of libraries for Java UI.  The problem is that most people see Java like this because it's "easy" to do:
http://www.osnews.com/img/10633/aConCorde-metal.png
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »

Hey, if I can make Java obey the OS's standard windowing rules and look exactly like any other window in that OS, I'll be happy as a clam.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 18, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »

ADOM had decent storytelling.  There's some brief stuff in the manual, and brief interactions with NPCs let you piece things together...like a bard who tells you poetry/songs if you're willing to listen, or a ruler who has some exposition that you'd normally listen to before getting him to unlock something.

But, I'd make *ALL* the storytelling optional, where you don't have to sit through it at all.  I mean...it's a roguelike.  You replay it a LOT.
Ya, like a skip button or at read command.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:49 am »

Would anyone be willing to teach me over MSN or teamspeak?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »

Does anyone have any experience in D?  I've tried to get the libtcod bindings working in it, but the documentation ranges from terrible to nonexistant.

I have them including correctly now (and even that was a hassle), but I have no idea what to do with it next.

I'm about to give up and go to Python, but from what I've read about it, D sounds like my kind of language.  I have a decent c++/Java background, but I've dabbled in languages from Lisp to Perl to Prolog.

One Python question while I'm here- what's the best way to compile it so I don't have to rely on the user having an interpreter?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:02 am »

Got a @ on a screen with D.  It's a bit interesting because I'm following the libtcod+Python tutorial while translating the Python (A language I've never used) into D (A language I'm just now learning) using the libtcod documentation and the headers for the D wrapper.  It's an interesting experience, but I think I'll get it.  The logic is the same, it's just a matter of translating the syntax.  And remembering to add semicolons.

Now to figure out how to change the font, because the default is fugly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:49 am »

D is something I've wanted to dig into for some time now.  I've been busy with Lisp though recently.  You'll have to share your opinions/experience with the language.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #656 on: April 01, 2011, 11:59:48 am »

Sowelu: Java

The old AWT gui elements used the OS to render components. It was not really cross platform and caused a lot of problems.

The newer SWING components use a java specific renderer that works much better and does result in consistent appearance on all platforms. I personally prefer the java look and feel.

However, you can change the appearance in a lot of ways.

Some links were provided earlier, but this one looks like it has a lot more "meat" to it:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/index.html
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

tomexplodes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »

I'd like to follow the Terror in ASCII Dungeon tutorial, but I have one problem:

"Download this zip file:
http://www.cgempire.com/tutorials/as...n_Template.zip"

Does anyone have a backup of that zip file somewhere?

Thanks.

- Tom

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »

Where did you get that link?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »

The tutorial is available in internet archive or a similar website. I have it all in a pdf but I don't know if I can reditribute it.
And I would also like to know if anyone has that file
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 72