Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245572 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #630 on: January 03, 2011, 04:54:30 pm »

I did a quick check on your schedules, and apparently the lot of you are from the America's, which complicates matters, as I am usually only available from 8 till 12 CET (GMT+1), which is exactly when you guys are usually not available. So I'll be ready to answer any questions, but it won't be in real-time.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2011, 01:45:27 am »

I'm going back to college on Sunday. At that time, I may be able to render assistance. I'm in GMT-5.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »

Is there any program I can get for linux.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 12, 2011, 09:09:43 pm »

What kind of program?

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »

Sorry if I'm being vague or obvious, but some simple one for rougelikes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 12, 2011, 09:54:19 pm »

That... still isn't helping much. For playing them? Making them? If there's a program for making RLs for any OS, I'd bloody well like to hear about it, because I've certainly never heard of one before. Certainly there's plenty of RLs that run in linux. A great number of them are developed in linux.

In the mean time, go here. It's almost certainly been mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but whatever. There's a few engines and library-type stuff available to aid in RL development, but that's the closest you're going to get for a 'program'.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:56:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:58 am »

Apparently you can mod TOME to your heart's content. Then there is libtcod, roguelike library. Other than that, I don't know of anything that would make roguelikes on the press of a button.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:19 am »

Game maker ought to be pretty useful for making games. It has no native ASCII-support though, so you'll have to load the different characters separately.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:29 pm »

Sorry to interrupt with a stupid question, but has anyone gotten libtcod working with MingW on Windows? I've been following the instructions on the libtcod site, but the linker is complaining when attempting to build the test program:
Quote from: Error
Linking console executable: bin\Debug\libtcod-test.exe
C:\Users\Me\Desktop\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\ld.exe: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\C++\libtcod-1.5.0\include: No such file: Permission denied
I've checked several times, the include folder is there. Wondering if there is some trick to get this working.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 28, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »

I got it to work, but I can't help you.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 29, 2011, 04:46:00 am »

Directory names, perhaps? C++ seems unconventional to me.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:14 pm »

I've recently been thinking about how to go about storytelling in my roguelike. I'm currently considering doing a Brütal Legend style thing, with certain events and actions unlocking short stories about the world's past. How do you people thing storytelling should be done in a roguelike if at all?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

Sorry to interrupt with a stupid question, but has anyone gotten libtcod working with MingW on Windows? I've been following the instructions on the libtcod site, but the linker is complaining when attempting to build the test program:
Quote from: Error
Linking console executable: bin\Debug\libtcod-test.exe
C:\Users\Me\Desktop\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\ld.exe: C:\Users\Me\Desktop\C++\libtcod-1.5.0\include: No such file: Permission denied
I've checked several times, the include folder is there. Wondering if there is some trick to get this working.
Windows 7?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:15 am »

Anyone knows where I can find "Terror in ASCII dungeon"? Not available on the link above =(

EDIT: http://web.archive.org/web/20061108233547/www.cgempire.com/forum/tutorials/379-terror-ascii-dungeon-c-tutorial-codephobes-part-1-a.html
that's something
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:43:57 am by Nistenf »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #644 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:35 pm »

Well, this has come up before and I sure wish it had been saved somewhere but it appears to have vanished. It was never complete anyway (if i recall correctly) but it was well written and fun to follow along with.

There are some other tutorials I can recommend but not in C+ (it was c+, right?).

ONe such I really enjoyed was for libtocd and Python. Find it here:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod

in the end, it is more complete than some other tutorials and uses the libtocd library which is powerful and cool, but you wont be programming the nuts and bolts since it does that for you. What you will be programming is the game logic itself.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72