Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245565 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #615 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:03 pm »

I've been following an online C# tutorial lately, didn't finish it, but I want to make a little roguelike for learning with something funnier. I have Visual C# Express, how should I start? What libraries do you recommend? And how should I start coding?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 23, 2010, 01:43:15 pm »

I've been following an online C# tutorial lately, didn't finish it, but I want to make a little roguelike for learning with something funnier. I have Visual C# Express, how should I start? What libraries do you recommend? And how should I start coding?

1) Don't expect perfect cross-platform compatability.
2) Use CSharp curses. Or something similar.
3) DEFINITELY look at all of the "general" tutorials on Roguebasin. They apply to all Roguelike development, but to languages such as c# too.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:16 pm »

Just posting here to say that I finally managed to get the Lisp bindings for libtcod to work! (Next time I try to do something like this, I'll chose a language with proper documentation...)
Anyhow, I don't suppose anyone can give me any pointers on resources on using functional languages to program a roguelike?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 26, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »

Sha-shucks!

I've been reading through a lot of stuff on the various languages and tools, but I haven't really gotten anywhere except for adjusting my goals to what's realistic.

I am, however, utterly undecided whether I should use an application or learn a simple language straightways. Unity seems pretty good after all, but I've so far been unable to find some open source project to take structural inspiration from. The lack of / difficulty of finding resources like textures and snippets of pre-made code is also somewhat irritating. Having absolutely nothing but a blank project to work with doesn't make it easy.

Then again, coding from scratch will hardly be easier.

All I want to do is make an open-world 3D crawler; but apparently the internet doesn't want to share its knowledge on the subject with me  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 27, 2010, 02:18:38 am »

Start with abstracted ASCII roguelike. Ding! No more worries about textures and whatsnot. Also, you get to compete with Toady for the most user-unfriendly interface.

Pick a programming language of choice, follow that ASCII roguelike tutorial for start. Don't spend too much time on it, just to get the "feel". Make a character first, then movement and finally the map. Then you may want to try various open world implementations - but I can tell you that part is going to be very challenging. When should out-of-sight entities update, if you want the world to live and breathe?

Start small, I say, then build on.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 27, 2010, 02:32:42 am »

I don't know a lot of stuff about programming and such, but if you want something 3D, pretty much definitely use an already made engine, UT3 or Unity, Unity is probably better since it already uses C++, so the knowledge could come in handy elsewhere, I think.

I have never seen a 3D game made from scratch except by big companies, and you can do pretty much anything with the UDK or Unity, nothing really professional has been done in Unity (That I know of?) but there's definitely the potential!

And again, I probably know less about this stuff than you, I've only read a few pages about C++ and Java, but that just seems to be the way it goes...

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 31, 2010, 08:38:44 am »

I am very interested in learning how to code and making a very, very basic roguelike to 'learn the ropes'. I'm a fast learner but I know NOTHING as of now and I work best with people.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to get over IRC/MSN/whatever with me and walk me through the basics... You know... Mentor me a bit... Thought it'd be worth asking...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 31, 2010, 11:30:05 am »

I am very interested in learning how to code and making a very, very basic roguelike to 'learn the ropes'. I'm a fast learner but I know NOTHING as of now and I work best with people.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to get over IRC/MSN/whatever with me and walk me through the basics... You know... Mentor me a bit... Thought it'd be worth asking...

Lucky bastard. I've tried the same thing. Cept I'm a terrible student and can't learn without a teacher.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 31, 2010, 11:31:33 am »

Well that interests me too. If someone agrees to help us maybe we can get on an IRC channel or something

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 31, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

While I'm not exactly well-versed in programming, I should be able to get you guys up to steam on the basics. However, I'm on European time and usually only available late in the evening, so I don't know how viable it would be for you guys.

As for the language, most Algol-like languages are pretty similar when it comes to the basics, but since I haven't worked with pointers intensively, I don't know how useful I'd be to those who'd want to work with C, C++ or Fortran. I could probably manage but I'd need to read up a bit. Languages like Haskell, smalltalk or Fort are going to take even longer since they don't look the slightest like Algol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:32:19 pm by Virex »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 31, 2010, 05:13:06 pm »

Well that interests me too. If someone agrees to help us maybe we can get on an IRC channel or something

IRC channel sounds great!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 01, 2011, 02:25:40 am »

While I'm not exactly well-versed in programming, I should be able to get you guys up to steam on the basics. However, I'm on European time and usually only available late in the evening, so I don't know how viable it would be for you guys.

As for the language, most Algol-like languages are pretty similar when it comes to the basics, but since I haven't worked with pointers intensively, I don't know how useful I'd be to those who'd want to work with C, C++ or Fortran. I could probably manage but I'd need to read up a bit. Languages like Haskell, smalltalk or Fort are going to take even longer since they don't look the slightest like Algol.

Ping me when you're online and we'll make an IRC room and chat.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 72