Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245614 times)

Alamar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »

The link to Terror in ASCII Dungeon! A C++ Tutorial For Codephobes is no longer under the same domain. Does anyone have this thing saved or something? I really want to use that tutorial!!

If you have it, could you email me at pokemaughan@hotmail.com? I'd appreciate it immensely.

Coincidentally, I was searching for this a few days ago.  I managed to find parts 1-4 on http://www.archive.org/ and also managed to track down an email address for the author of the tutorial, who is apparently planning to continue them when they get time, although they don't know when they'll have time for this.  The original articles and any continuation are likely to be posted on the forums at http://www.theindiestone.com/ and questions on the tutorial should be posted at the same place.

In the meantime, parts 1-4 can currently be retrieved from the following links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 04, 2010, 09:07:17 pm »

I like the way-way back machine :D

I used to use it to remember what games websites looked like when they were in beta.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:51 am »

@dephbokks

I'm following as well. Also subscribed on YouTube.

@Alamar

I love you :D
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 10, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »

Just wanted to post an update on the EZRL library (Easy Roguelike Library - coded in OO C++): well, I did the first release: version 0.1.9 is now available for download.

It's Released!

Some things:

Link to the page: EZRL
From there, you can view:

The reason it took so long is because of making the Guide and the documentation. Things still aren't totally finished, but there is a lot there.

So basically I made a guide for novice users. So far it's Windows only, but Linux support will be added soon (it's already there just needs to be cleaned up; an advanced user could do this too). The guide takes the beginner through setting up Visual C++ and SDL and includes two flavors of the library: sEZRL and EZRL.

In part I of the guide, the user begins with the stripped-down version of the library and slowly adds to the library ending with the EZRL library that is currently capable of delivering roguelike games.

In part II of the guide, the user will be shown how the sEZRL library was constructed (to be completed). After completion, the user should have a pretty good idea of how to build a roguelike, how to use other roguelike libraries, and possibly how to design and build their own.

So I put a lot of work into this recently and now I will take a break and maybe play some ADOM or Dragon Age. Hopefully some of you will be interested in this.

@Horseplank: some more videos are planned; things to reinforce the material presented in the guide most likely.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 11, 2010, 01:36:55 am »

That looks awesome. Thanks for your work!

I'll be downloading and messing around with it. Saw the image thumbnail and thought it was DF :P

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 11, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

@dephbokks: You can disregard this part as it contains the error report I was getting, see bottom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SDL_image.h apparently is not in the include folder of the SDL-devel-1.2.14-VC8.zip I downloaded. It's part of a different library.

Might want a link to: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/ on the tutorial - after I added include and lib folders from there I tested it and now it works. I was able to draw up the Hello World screen.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:51:57 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:59 pm »

Damn, I thought I took out the dependence on SDL_image. I did that to reduce the dependencies. Lemme check on the problem.

Most likely a stupid mistake on my part. I'll post the resolution shortly. Sorry for the problem. My bad.

Edit:
----
The corrected version has been re-uploaded to dephbokks.com; you can re-download it or just make the changes I tell about below.

Here's what happened: I took out the SDL_image dependence, but I forgot to change the Visual C++ project settings in the sEZRL project; EZRL project should be okay. I corrected the problem so downloads going forward should have no problem.

The reason I didn't detect the problem is that I have SDL_image installed so my linker was finding it & I could #include "SDL_image.h". To quickly fix this, just Ctrl+f (find) and search for #include "SDL_image.h" in the whole solution. There should only be one instance in each of the sEZRL and EZRL projects in the EZRL.h file. Delete it. Save all. Then go to the project settings and remove the SDL_image.lib additional dependency.

Or just re-download everything.

See this image for more detail on linker settings:

Thanks Kael. Good catch on your part. The whole reason I took SDL_image out was to reduce dependencies... and then I forget that. Glad you were resourceful enough to get SDL_image working anyway.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:49:51 pm by dephbokks »

manderin87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 01, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »

Ruby/Gosu combo ain't that bad. I, the complete buffoon, could come up with something like this: a rather big screenie

Can draw tiles, can type text, can draw from anywhere within the buffer (array of symbols) etc.

And to top all that, I've learned a fair bit about Ruby! I'm feeling all giddy. Can't wait to get started on the actual game engine. Got to refactor the methods to be handled by some sort of input/output scheduler.

Edit: I just made random terrain generator work. I'm so excited!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can anyone tell me what tileset mipe is using in these screenshots?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

manderin87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 02, 2010, 09:43:22 pm »

How were you able to change the colors of the tileset on the fly?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:18 am »

@manderin87: There are init.txt options for color.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 09, 2010, 01:17:50 pm »

So I had an assignment to write a program that uses an object database... the natural, expected thing to do here would have been to code up an app for bookkeeping books in a library or personnel in an organisation. So, of course, I wrote a roguelike :p.

http://ari-rahikkala.net/software/db4orl.jar

It's probably not that much fun to play, but if you're into that kind of thing, you could scour the source (in net/ari_rahikkala/db4orl) for inspiration on wacky ideas about roguelike features and how to implement them. The README file in the jar's root directory has instructions on how to play and some vague hints about how the program works, let me quote the important part...

The mana counter tells how much arcane energy you have left for
casting spells. The 'z' key will open the spellcasting menu. Being
that there's no in-game help system, the somewhat idiosyncratic spells
are explained here:

Bill's Beckoning Bearhug: Embraces and extinguishes a monster race, to
extinction. Well, not quite all the way there. This spell makes a
monster type inactive, such that monsters of this type will no longer
spawn, and if the last monster of this type is killed, the entire type
is considered genocided and removed from the game. The deactivated
race is chosen randomly.

Dijkstra's Dreadful Damnation: Hits a targeted set of monsters with a
powerful curse, killing them instantly. See the description of Pratt's
Particularized Perquisition to see how to select targets for this and
the other target-affecting spells.

Gygax's Generative Gizmo: Creates a new, active monster type in the
world. The attributes of the new race are generated randomly.

Matz's Metaprogrammatic Morphshifting: Randomly changes the monster
type of each one in a set of selected monsters.

Pratt's Particularized Perquisition: Selects a set of targets to be
affected by spells. You can either choose to target all monsters of a
given type, or all monsters on the same column in the gameworld as the
PC, or all monsters on the same row as the PC. Targeted monsters will
be marked as red on the screen. The number of targets does not change
the cost of targetable spells.

Serling's Stupefying Scare: Makes all the targeted monsters scared of
you (i.e. changes their behaviour to Cowardly). Scared monsters will
attempt to run away from you any chance they get.

The other useful action keys are 'm' which just shows the list of monster races and 'q' which quits the game. Yeah, it's pretty barebones, but hey, it's a 4-day roguelike, what did you expect :p

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »

Anyone know where I can get the Terror in Ascii dungeon tutorial?
The link is going to a website for picture framing :(

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:40 pm »

Anyone know where I can get the Terror in Ascii dungeon tutorial?
The link is going to a website for picture framing :(

The link works for me, so I'll copy the tutorial down and PM it to you. Looked through it and it seems to be a pretty good intro to C++ (it starts with classes :D) and it won't bore the crap out of you while you read it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »

Cool, thanks.
Weird, wonder why it's not working for me.

Also, the whole "boring the crap out of me" is why I haven't properly coded anything as to date.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 72