Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245500 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #930 on: May 17, 2013, 08:30:45 pm »

I found a C++ Libtcod tutorial, but I don't know how to make a directory. :C
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 17, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »

I found a C++ Libtcod tutorial, but I don't know how to make a directory. :C

On Windows a directory is just a folder.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 17, 2013, 09:13:30 pm »

Oh ok then, ahahah Awesome thanks!

EDIT: Following this tutorial: http://codeumbra.eu/complete-roguelike-tutorial-using-c-and-libtcod-part-1-setting-up

And I am more lost than I should be. I have absolutely no idea how any of this works. I downloaded mingw and such, but when he starts talking about how you're supposed to make some empty directories and copy some files, I am on a whole 'nother planet.

Can anyone explain what I'm supposed to do?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:11:23 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #933 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »

This tutorial helped me out a lot. It's short, simple, and by the end of it you have a moving character that opens and closes doors. (The last article is 4; there is no 5). For a real game you'd want to evolve the structure to be a lot more flexible, but, the point is just to get a tiny, basic thing working, and it does that great IMHO.

The author uses his own custom functions for output, but just translate those functions to whatever output method you're using.

The Beginner's Guide to Roguelike Programming in C/C++ tutorial is by Craig Stickel, and was moved to his personal site awhile ago, which is why there were only four articles on Akrasiac. Anyhow, the old link appears completely defunct. IMO, it's the best C++ rldev tutorial I've seen to date. Hopefully, someone else will find it as useful.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:48:05 pm by ravensgrace »
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 20, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

Ima give that a shot then. Most likely. It seems that in order to build any of these things I need to use command line? That seems a little... annoying.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #935 on: May 21, 2013, 04:33:52 am »

Wait, you code in C++ and think using a console is annoying? *grin*

For the umpteenth time, I'm going to suggest NOT C++ for quick development.

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 21, 2013, 05:11:05 am »

Ima give that a shot then. Most likely. It seems that in order to build any of these things I need to use command line? That seems a little... annoying.

You could use an IDE which compiles and links and does all that magic for you, if you still want too use libtcod: This shows you how to set up and get libtcod running with code::blocks

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 21, 2013, 07:13:39 am »

oh my that is exactly what I need because I use code::blocks!
Thank you so much!

EDIT: Fantastic! It worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:46:25 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:27 am »

Hi! Can anybody please help me? I wanted to follow the Java RL tutorial on RogueBasin, but it employs libjcsi as a library and I have no idea where to get my hands on that for use in Windows. I'm using Windows 8, to be precise (I know, terrible -- I'm in the process of downgrading to 7, at least), and I have Eclipse for a JDE. But the main problem is where to find a download for it. I'm sure the page that everybody always links to for libjcsi is supposed to have one, but I just don't know. Under the tab "Source", I think the command-line access is only for Linux, right? Or, not for Windows, anyway? Then there's a link for GUI and IDE access, but then what do I go for there?

Please use small words :P

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:46:55 pm by Whatsifsowhatsit »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 23, 2013, 06:39:20 am »

https://code.google.com/p/libjcsi/downloads/detail?name=libjcsi002.tar.gz&can=1&q=

There you go - you have to click "all downloads". They don't appear for some reason. I assume after this you need to go to program settings and include a .jar file that is presumably within the .tar.gz file :)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »

Oh yes, I forgot to say, I actually did go there and found a tar.gz and a zip file, both from 2008, but they said "decrepit" and it warned me against downloading them for that reason... but that's still alright, then? Anyway, thank you :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 23, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »

I dunno, I've not used it, I just thought you might've missed that one! You should be able to contact Slashie through RogueTemple or so?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:29 pm »

This thread is incredibly useful, and the bump is very well timed for me. I have just started doing research into coding, because I have roguelike ideas.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 23, 2013, 03:52:02 pm »

I dunno, I've not used it, I just thought you might've missed that one! You should be able to contact Slashie through RogueTemple or so?

I'm just going to try it. The warning I got seemed to be more about a fear that it might be outdated than that it might actually do something bad to my computer, anyway. If I run into big problems... well... like I said above, I want to downgrade to Windows 7 (and reinstall Linux as well) anyway, shortly, so in the end I don't have much to lose. Thanks again.

And you're welcome, CognitiveDissonance (great name). I have roguelike ideas as well, a bunch of them! Care to share any of yours? (That fits in a roguelike development megathread, right? Or is it just for problems/issues/technical stuff?)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #944 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38:41 am »

My game is going well c:

link in case anyone is curious.

One snag I've hit is that the A-star pathfinding I'm using is too slow when ten or so ships path at the same time over long plots. It's because I iterate through the entire list to find the lowest F-valued node. The list is potentially a couple hundred to a thousand in length. It adds up.

I plan on changing it to use a wrapper for two containers, a vector that has been make_heap'd and a map. The heap is obviously for the f-values, and the map will be the closed and open sets. If I pop a value from the heap, but it's in the closed set, I'll throw it away. The speed advantage this has is huge even with the cross-checking of the map. O(n) time almost always loses to O(log n + 1) time (which is an ad-hoc'd addition of the search times for the map and the heap).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 72