Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245573 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #810 on: October 30, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

Well, I changed it to libcod.console_flush() but that doesn't seem to have had any affect on the the issue I'm having.

It's saying AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'console_set_foreground_color', and it'll do this for multiple items.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »

Oh right, that's because the tutorial was made for 1.5 and it's currently version 1.5.1, so many functions had their names changed.  libtcod.console_set_default_foreground(console, libtcod.color_name) is the new function.  It's probably not accepting libtcod.console_print_left either, I think you need libtcod.console_print(console,starting_x,starting_y,text_string) instead.

If you open your download of libtcod you can find the file of it.  Open it, and it'll list out all the different commands, you can usually link names to what they've become, most are simple changes of the way it's written, like print and print_left.  Some have had their variables changed, and a quick google usually clears up confusion there.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:43 pm »

Oh right, that's because the tutorial was made for 1.5 and it's currently version 1.5.1, so many functions had their names changed.  libtcod.console_set_default_foreground(console, libtcod.color_name) is the new function.  It's probably not accepting libtcod.console_print_left either, I think you need libtcod.console_print(console,starting_x,starting_y,text_string) instead.

If you open your download of libtcod you can find the file of it.  Open it, and it'll list out all the different commands, you can usually link names to what they've become, most are simple changes of the way it's written, like print and print_left.  Some have had their variables changed, and a quick google usually clears up confusion there.

Well that would be an issue wouldn't it...

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 01, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »

Well, I have (finally) managed to chew through this whole (long!) topic. :) And right on time, as it happens that:
a) I have created a Bay 12 Forums account, and I would be pretty happy to say hello to everybody!
a') The 'say hello' part is double - strong for everybody having anything to do with creating new roguelikes, as I just happen to love 'em.
b) I have a semi-working tech-demo (or a pre-alpha version, you name it) of my new (and first - more on this topic later) game, which I will be able to put somewhere on the Internet for everybody to check out very soon.

There a few fun facts I want laid out first:
1. I'm using C#.
2. I'm not using any libraries.
2.1. I want to learn as much of a language as I can, so I want to write everything from scratch right now.
3. This is second program I'm making in C#, and third I'm making overall (first being university-class Pascal quote - mangler [our teacher was pretty weird], and second being simple name-generator), so I can't say I'm advanced programmer.
4. This isn't exactly a roguelike, as it doesn't feature a map.
4.1. What it does feature is pretty intricate fighting system and maybe more importantly, item creation system.
4.1.1. OK, it doesn't feature it right now, but it will in the future.
4.2. Also, it is meant as a learning step for a more traditional roguelike.

Feel free to ask questions. EDIT: Here is the link. I'd like to write 'enjoy', but it ain't really this stage yet... ;)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tidch7

Thank you for your attention.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:18:10 pm by BlindKitty »
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »

Hello and welcome to the Bay12 forums! Don't mind the massive amount of ghostly dwarven children near the drawbridges, you'll get used to them eventually. Oh, and if one of them rips your arm off, the hospital is five floors down. Enjoy your stay!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

And if you the surgeon does emergency surgery on your lungs instead of your arm, don't get mad at him.  He's a bit touched in the head.
I'm trying to use the Terror tutorial, but I've recently hit a stall in that as the links it's providing are long since dead.  Does anyone else know any good C++ tutorials, or know where to get the files for Terror? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 06, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »

Well, while I'm not really 'used to' getting my arms ripped off, it is not unheard of for me, so I should be all right. Thanks for the warning, anyway. ;)

@Lightnindfalcon - if you're not too deeply into C++ already, I will humbly suggest thinking it through and trying to wrestle C# instead. It's entirely based on my own experience, so it may be false for you, but while trying to code anything meaningful in C++ I've had nothing but problems. And since I got my hands on Visual Studio 2010 Express and started with C#, I'm not only progressing, but actually progressing quickly. I'm actually doing things about twice as fast as I planned them to, despite having half the time I hoped to have, and using only dotnetperls.com instructions (from the site itself: "I thought, What if a programming website was as simple as a children's book? (...) Knowledge dies when it is not available. In its simplest form it is most available.") and occasionally an answer from stackoverflow.com (I don't even have to ask - all the question have been answered already).

So, to let you all know how the things are progressing - save/load functionality, basic campaign, leveling up and items are already implemented. With second tech-demo I will wait till I have campaign functions sorted out. Now it throws you from one duel directly to the next (with a little stop for level up). And I want it to have intermediate menu, which will right now allow you to save the game (due to limitations of the save system as it is, it must be done between duels) and change equipment (now you can this at any time, but I want to limit this to between duels only, with quick slots for weapons [holster - style] in the future). Later it will be used mostly for crafting and spell selection (although both those things are a long way from us).

What is more, I found out there was a game similar to what I have in mind - called DND. Hard to be innovative, isn't it? Good thing I didn't to it for innovation, but for simplicity. ;)

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 06, 2012, 05:08:00 pm »

Is it even possible to be original anymore? 
And I'm not to deep into C++, as I still keep hitting snags where I have trouble advancing, so I'll look into that.  Which means adding another compiler to my list of several hundred programs that I either got free from Microsoft and looked cool, were free and thought I would need at some point, or just never got around to using.
And is there a free version of C# avaliable, or is it all something you have to pay for?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 06, 2012, 05:10:09 pm »

Any given thing has been done already.  Just add some personal flavor to it.  You could argue that Dwarf Fortress and Gnomoria are the same, but the flavors are different and they play differently.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 07, 2012, 02:53:08 am »

Lightningfalcon - Visual Studio is free for non-commercial use (Express version, it is), so as long as you don't plan to sell whatever you create, it's free. And really great with all the debugging options, and auto - completion. It searches errors on the fly, before you even build a solution (well, those it can find) and allows you to jump straight to them be double-clicking on error report... Well, it is really good one. :) Or, if you want to work on Linux/something else, there is always MonoDevelop. Which is more of a advanced tool, and by that I mean less user - friendly. ;) But it is also free (even for commercial use, as far as I know, but it's worth checking), and cross - platform.

Girlinhat - well, not everything, probably, but most of it, for sure. ;) I'm currently aiming in more personal experience, not really a good game, but in the meantime, I lay foundations for a new game, which will certainly be personally - flavored. And good at it. I hope.

Well, now back to mess which is my Battle class, and then to work. :P

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:17 am »

Visual Studio and C# are quite nice, and are considerably easier to learn than C++ and Notepad...

You are free to sell (even commercially) programs you create in Visual Studio.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »

I've check, and alexandertnt is right - you can use Visual Studio Express for commercial applications too. I've got this confused, 'cos I'm a DreamSpark system user, which has it's own licensing (namely, not for commercial use), but gives you VS Professional (Ultimate, in case of 2012, I guess) for free. :)

That said - behold, here is tech-demo No. 2 for Whatever The Name Will Finally Be (DuelsTheGame right now): http://www.sendspace.com/file/1auek1

As said before: Campaign*! Leveling**! Items***! Saving****! And more*****!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... (Warning: XP gain is debug-level, to quickly test leveling up mechanics. Don't be surprised to gain a lot of levels quickly.)

*More of Series-of-random-duels, but it will get better. Hopefully.
**Attributes and skills only, as talents are not really implemented yet.
***A few weapons and three shields, but with some more coming soon.
****Serialization of Player class, but works.
*****Character sheet, for starters. 20 skills instead of 4, and they change with attributes. Also, monsters rise in power with your power.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:17 pm »

Is Dreamspark the thing that gives you all the free stuff for students and stuff, or something else? And if so, where do i ind the VS professional on it?
I'll try to download it and test play that when I don't have to memorize half of Africa in one day.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 08, 2012, 09:19:06 am »

Yes, DreamSpark is just that. :) I don't know where you can find it though - it changes on per-school basis. I've got it right on the homepage after logging in...

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »

Dear lord.  I finally, after MANY headaches, managed to get pathfinding working for my mindless little critters in LibTCodPy (after following the Complete Roguelike Tutorial to its end and then being left to my own devices).  :D

Ran into all sorts of annoying problems caused by the structure of the code previously - for example, I only wanted my creatures to have Paths, not every object in the game, so I thought the best way to do this would be to create the path (see here) when I was instantiating the creatures in the place_objects function, as per the tutorial.

Of course, this didn't work, because I was trying to create the paths using my fov_map as the pathfinding map...and the fov_map is created after make_map is called.  And it's make_map that calls place_objects.  My creatures were being created before the fov_map, but needing fov_map to be given paths.  Sigh.

I guess I could've split out place_objects from make_map and done that after creating the fov_map - reshuffled the code a bit, etc - but instead I decided that since I only wanted living, breathing, moving creatures to have paths, I'd build it into the BasicMonsterAI composition class instead.

Python then threw a tantrum about me wanting to do this in the init function of the class (gave me a very odd error about trying to pass a path as a pointer, as far as I could tell), so instead built it into the take_turn function, so that the first time a creature's AI tries to take a turn it'll check to see if the creature itself has a path object, create one if not, and then proceed to use it as applicable.

And, after a couple of minor syntax hiccups, it lives:D  My creatures now joyously path to the player and try to kill them, if they can see you.  There's not much visibly different from the previous simple method (which simply had the creature move towards you if it was in your FOV), but this means that (a) if you move out of sight they can now go to the last position they saw you in and (b) I can now start to build on this to get some proper, sensible movement in place!

It's a tiny, tiny achievement that's entirely unimpressive to anybody but myself, but I'm so psyched right now that I'm grinning like a maniac.  :P

Basic AI code snippet below in case anybody wants to poke through and see it.  Most of the code from the Complete Roguelike Tutorial available here, with slight modifications. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72