Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245529 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:35 pm »

I wanted to let you know of a library I found earlier today, it's called EZRL and it has a nice guide/tutorial, witch sadly isn't finished, but will probably get finished in the not too-distant future. Maybe it can be added to the OP.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #661 on: April 15, 2011, 12:57:29 am »

Dephbokks hangs around this forum, maybe you can rez him by sending a PM.
I got nothing

tomexplodes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:18 am »

Where did you get that link?

It's in the Terror tutorial, which I found archived through here: http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/167698-is-there-anywhere-i-can-still-find-the-terror-in-ascii-dungeon%26%233/

I'm not sure I can do the tutorial without the zip file called for. Anybody got a copy?

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:33 am »

Anyone has the header file from this tutorial?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's here.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:50 am »

THEN! I noticed that the libtocd engine that is used for Doryen, Pyromancer, and other titles has Python bindings available. I of course downloaded right away.

THEN AGAIN! I foudn this awesome tutorial on python roguelike development with libtocd:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod
I got a basic roguelike up in about an hour or so. AMAZING! libtocd is pretty awesome! And Python is easy to learn

im thinking of having a crack at this

im half way through a five day introduction to programming course at uni that uses python 3.2. I can write simple programs that use loops, if statements, handle exceptions, print output, take keyboard input, and use a very basic gui. The most complex program ive written calculates an average from a user input set of numbers. The user can input as many variables as they like then it means em. This uses loops exceptions etc.

based on this experience, how much of a jump is it to roguelike dev for a basic dungeon crawler in ascii?

id probably use libcod (which as far as i can tell from a glance over the tutorial above handles everything thats remotely complicated for you and plugs in to python like any other imported module.

of course id have to learn python 2.7 as apposed to 3.2 (is the switch over hard? does anyone know?)

the other issue is time. Im pretty busy and would probs have about 3 hours average per week to work on it. How long does developing a basic RL take? Ive got some concepts that would be interesting but simple buzzing around in my head for initial projects.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 19, 2011, 10:19:57 am »

There's a yearly contest to develop a simple RL in 7 days.

If the libraries are fleshed out (IE libtcod) and you're familiar with the language and concepts, not too long for something basic.

(If anyone's curious, no I didn't get anywhere.  I got distracted.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 25, 2011, 11:35:48 am »

A few days ago I read a paper about antiobjects in game development (go here) and just 2 days ago I was stricken with inspiration and came up with a class structure (written in Common Lisp), that not only supports scent tracking (as described in the paper above) but also arbitrary definitions of neighbourhood and descriptions of positions.

[edit]Forgot to provide the source. Here is a version without package definition: http://paste.lisp.org/+2NVQ. Scent diffusion is broken, as any cell only updates those smells it has already in it's hash-table.[/edit]

To explain: Any map can be represented as a graph. The neighbourhood of a node in that graph is the set of all nodes that share an edge with said node. In a graph representing a map the nodes are positions and in normal movement a critter can reach any neighbour of a node with a single step. Most roguelikes use the so called Moore Neighbourhood (which includes orthogonal and diagonal movement) and there are few using the Von-Neumann Neighbourhood (with only orthogonal movement) and there are even less with hexagonal neighbourhood.
For the purposes of game programming any node in such a graph has to be addressable via a position description. A position description for a two-dimensional array is a pair of integers in the correct range, but a position description might be a sequence of directed steps from a certain starting point.

Nodes are called cells in this implementation. A cell can represent any kind of object that keeps track of it's own scent. Scent is stored in a hash-table (with :test 'eq), so one can define as many scents as one can name and gensym. A cell doubles as a cell stack. That means that cells can be pushed on top of each other, so that one cell blocks the scent tracking of the cell below. Of course you can write subclasses of CELL to define cells that update the scent of cells below itself, so that maybe a wolf (that is an instance of the class ACTOR that is a subclass of CELL) doesn't prevent the scent of the floor under it spreading. Hm, maybe I should make the CELL class abstract and make some subclasses...

The CELL-GRID class implements a relatively easy way to define neighbourhoods and position descriptions via a few generic functions (this means, you make a subclass of CELL-GRID and define specialized methods on those generic functions).

Here an example implementation of a cell grid that uses the von-neumann-neighbourhood:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some important generic functions are:
Code: [Select]
(defgeneric push-position (cell-grid value &rest position)) => cell-grid to put an object into the map.
(defgeneric pop-position (cell-grid &rest position)) => old-position-top to remove a cell from the map (beware, floor is also a cell that might be removed and no cell is basically a wall with no interaction with the environment. old-position-top is the cell popped of the position.
(defgeneric move-position (cell-grid source target)) => cell-grid to move a cell from one position to another. As positions are lists, both source and target have to be lists.
(defgeneric cell-neighbourhood (cell-grid &rest position)) => neighbour-list returns the neighbours of the cell at the given position. This is different from POSITION-NEIGHBOURHOOD as it does not return cells that are not connected to the cell at the position and returns cells that are connected to said cell but not adjacent to that cell according to the CELL-GRID.

Any comments?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:50:35 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 25, 2011, 12:27:23 pm »

A few days ago I read a paper about antiobjects in game development (go here)
Also available here (free): www.cs.colorado.edu/~ralex/papers/PDF/OOPSLA06antiobjects.pdf

I haven't read the entire paper or parsed all your code yet, but it's interesting reading so far.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:08 pm »

Alright guys

I need to get my groove back, so I'm going to start an impromptu 7DRL for myself.  Of course, if you've seen what happens with my other projects, you probably have very low expectations right about now and that's a pretty safe bet.  But this specific idea has really taken hold of me, and I want to see what I can do with it.  Without a time limit I'd never get around to starting!  (I'd just sit around on Ponibooru and play Frozen Synapse all day.)

I guess you'll find out what it is once I post it later~
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 16, 2011, 02:20:30 am »

Good enough to show off, even if not really playable, so I'm making a thread!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

somatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 04, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

This topic alive at all? Anyone out there making a roguelike? I've been developing my own and looking for someplace to share experiences.

After about two weeks, she looks like this:

Display is with pdcurses and random numbers are done with MTRand, otherwise it's 100% custom. I wanted to do it from the ground up not just so that it would have its own unique feel, but also to teach myself C++. That's been alternately fun and frustrating, but more fun than frustrating, since obviously I'm still doing it =p

The "game" has precious few features so far, but at least it's alive. It can:

move player (any keypad direction)
draw FOV for player (this was, by far, the hardest feature to implement, and it's still not perfect)
look (display description of looked at tile and/or special location message)
open door
close door

I know, it's the next Skyrim, right? =p The setting of foundations was the hard part, now I'm adding features. Tomorrow, I think it'll be the routines to keep track of where a mob is in the scene. All of the "actors" in the scene will go into a vector and be linked to the current map, and that'll open the door to any number of features-- fighting, talking, etc.

Anyone out there still building a roguelike?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:36:25 am by somatic »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 04, 2012, 08:31:06 pm »

greatorder, I've heard good things about Python in this regard, but have never made anything in it (I should probably remedy this at some point).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 04, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »

Any mainstream language would work (and even some more esoteric languages such as Haskell if you feel like banging your head against a brick wall). Canonically, people are directed to C++ or Python though, so those probably have the most resources available.

I'm working with Clojure right now, but development is going a bit slow. Functionally pure languages are different from what I'm used to and while you can use refs/atoms/vars/agents to get imperative features back that feels a bit too hacked for my taste.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:34:13 pm by Virex »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 05, 2012, 07:14:37 am »

Give me a teacher, willing to atleast set me in the right direction, and maybe I could shit something out.

However, I do have my Intro to C++ class coming up on the 12th.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 05, 2012, 08:15:06 am »

Give me a teacher, willing to atleast set me in the right direction, and maybe I could shit something out.

However, I do have my Intro to C++ class coming up on the 12th.
I know a few teachers, but they cost moneys.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 72