Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245758 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »

That's a creepy ass avatar! :o
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2009, 10:56:16 pm »

Boo looks fascinating, but I'm really not fond of .NET. Still worth a peek though. And that IS the most creepy ass avatar I've ever seen. Yikes.

Oh wow, I didn't know someone from Bay 12 did a 7DR for that. Awesome, I'll have to try it out!

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »

Inspired by deej, I've updated the main list a little. I've added Unity, Ren'Py. links to a Common Lisp binding of libtcod, and noted that the version of JCurses I linked to has been superseded by the much superior version contained in libjci.

Hopefully this thread floating around the top of this forum now will inspire people once more  ;) Remember, if you have any additions to make to the thread, PM me or post them here and I'll whack them up straight away.

now i'm going to get this damn SharpDevelop working mumble grumble didn't have to do this in Python mumble grumble
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:20:03 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2009, 06:18:19 pm »

I think having to set up different languages is the biggest discouragement to me using them. I barely had to do anything to get C++ or C# working. Lua was kind of a pain though since I wasn't sure about what I was doing (Tao Framework pretty much solved my problems there. And with a great many other things). Though I've forgotten the little bit that I learned already. Perl wasn't too hard, it was just not what I ultimately wanted after I got it working.

Sadly, mIRC script is still my best language. I could make a roguelike in it, but only a few people would be able to play it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2009, 06:23:25 pm »

I think having to set up different languages is the biggest discouragement to me using them. I barely had to do anything to get C++ or C# working. Lua was kind of a pain though since I wasn't sure about what I was doing (Tao Framework pretty much solved my problems there. And with a great many other things). Though I've forgotten the little bit that I learned already. Perl wasn't too hard, it was just not what I ultimately wanted after I got it working.

Sadly, mIRC script is still my best language. I could make a roguelike in it, but only a few people would be able to play it.

At the end of the day, you've just got to use the language you're most comfortable in. It's about getting something done, and if it's quickest to get a roguelike out there in mIRC script for you, then that's what needs to happen. Most of the programming concepts learnt are universal - everything else is syntax. Just remember to persevere - programming is not easy, remember that. But it's worth it all for that feeling of pure relief that comes after hours of frustration.

And hey, I'd think a roguelike written in mIRC would be great. It's certainly novel enough to get attention.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2009, 06:24:31 pm »

Hey! I almost forgot about this thread.

I'm still waiting for one of you guys to finish!

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2009, 07:58:24 pm »

Speaking of libtcod, is there anybody here with Mac programming skills that would be willing to give a shot at fixing the OSX Python version ? The C/C++ wrapper needs to work with a dynamic library, but only static ones are available. I tried hacking the makefile with switches such as -dylib and the like but unfortunately my programming skills go only so far.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2009, 11:54:10 pm »

I really really recommend libtcod for making roguelikes, and possibly anything else. I have been using it for quite some time in both c/c++ and now python for a new one that I am making now. Its extremely easy, and is constantly being updated, and a pretty helpful dev as well, if you poke around the forums.

Dont know if this has been posted, but an irc buddy of mine from rlrg, ido, who makes some roguelikes (he has a new 7drl that he made for the last contest) wrote a small tutorial, but hasnt finished any more that this first part, but its a good start to people that have limited programming experience and are interested in getting started

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2007/11/29/5715/1869

Its better than that terror in ascii dungeon in terms of actually getting a start to some base code.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »

WISE FWOM YOU GWAVE

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

After I get a bit more work done on it I'm going to migrate over to a roguelike, because I finally have the hang of C# to the necessary degree.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

FoboslC

« Reply #354 on: April 10, 2009, 01:47:17 pm »

Keep it going, looks promising. Also You're paranoid. You're just too paranoid. The path is:
C:/Documents and Settings/Username/My documents/Visual Studio 2008
Welcome to internet.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2009, 05:21:35 pm »

Keep it going, looks promising. Also You're paranoid. You're just too paranoid. The path is:
C:/Documents and Settings/Username/My documents/Visual Studio 2008
Welcome to internet.

I think it's more that he doesn't want us to know his real name than where he saves his files ;)

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2009, 01:32:06 am »

Ive made quite a bit of headway in my roguelike in python, tonight or tomorrow I will probably start my map generator and get some Screens up, I have a google code account if anyone is interested. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2009, 01:58:31 am »

!!!RANT WARNING!!!

Yikes read a "Suggestion" Development page a while ago. (Not for Dwarf Fortress mind you)

I would have thought Rogue-likes would have become less "It MUST be absolutely difficult" overtime as I see ideas such as "Easy modes" (Why people oppose this I don't know) or even reasonable suggestions about how to fix interface problems get shot down constantly. I don't know why flaws in many games are often labled as "Part of the game" overtime...

Honestly Roguelike players... you need to re-evuluate what a roguelike is... The reason they were so punishing and impossible for the inexperienced is because a few people decided they would do theirs like that and people copied. It isn't a Staple of a Roguelike it is type of cancer where features that worked well in some games get forced onto others.
-Some Roguelikes really might as well call themselves "Play with the Wiki on" especially for some of the greater achievements. Which is horrible. Honestly Roguelikes if you can't find something out through the general course of play that is vital to the success of the player and it isn't in a manual then it is a FLAW!!!

Think of it like Adventure games, originally having the game be unwinnable, infinate death cycles, and death without restart were all considered staples of the Adventure game genre. This eventually changed (Heck the only reason I prefer Kings Quest 7 over 6 is because I can immediately restart right before I died) and while I FULLY believe Adventure games can still be deadly (Honestly those need to become more popular) they are no longer minefields of frustration. (as a whole... I've seen some pretty bad new adventure game series... Such as Nancy Drew Mysteries... Holy cow!)

While I realise that Roguelikes are meant to be quite "Counter Cultural" and all that as a testiment against games now adays that are far too easy... I also realise that it is far too "Elitist" and only serves to prevent players who would enjoy the roguelikes from actually getting into the genre as not everyone enjoys being dropped on their head until they learn how to fly. Making the game accessable is not tentamount to making it a non-roguelike.

Though don't get me wrong. By all means make the game as hard as possible normally afterall some games are fun hard... but just stop pretending that it is a Roguelike staple to include only one crippling hard difficulty.

(Oddly... A new trend I am seeing is people are starting to say "This isn't a MMO it is a Roguelike"... So... yeah... apperantly World of Warcraft apperantly became the contradictory opposite of a Roguelike)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:22:30 am by Neonivek »

karmatic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »

Does anybody know of an easy-to-compile source of the original Rogue? or the clones of it? I don't exactly have the time to start one from scratch but would be inspired to mod Rogue itself to my liking

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 15, 2009, 11:02:07 pm »

Does anybody know of an easy-to-compile source of the original Rogue? or the clones of it? I don't exactly have the time to start one from scratch but would be inspired to mod Rogue itself to my liking
Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Rogue was ever released as Open Source.  It was included in Berkeley UNIX as a binary, then it was handed to a commercial company afterwards and never released source.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 72