Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 72

Author Topic: The Roguelike Development Megathread  (Read 245782 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: The Roguelike Development Megathread
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

I think it's important to think "What behavior do I want to encourage" and "What behavior do I want to discourage" when designing a game.  For example, if you're making an RTS and you want to discourage micromanagement...well, you'd need to remove any game benefit to micromanaging stuff.

One of the ways that Nethack keeps the game interesting for lower level characters, is that the loot and random stuff you can find varies SO WILDLY.  Pretty early on you could suddenly just find plate armor, or a Potion of Gain Attributes, or several spellbooks that you can't quite use just yet.  It encourages the player to search around a fair amount, or at least not rush... but at the same time, if you find a sink, you very quickly learn that playing with it will get you killed remarkably quickly except for the one in thirty chance that something great happens.  The player is discouraged from experimenting with the unknown when they are doing well.

Nethack encourages newer players to say "Hey, what does this button do" because, while everything is very deadly, it's also frequently very amusing to die to--and just sometimes very helpful.  "Oh god, I didn't think that could happen!" is kind of fun when done right, and even more fun when it's escapable.  Players learn that gaining knowledge really helps them out in the long run.  Still, as previously noted, if knowledge is TOO obscure then players might not bother trying to find it themselves anymore.

Because loot can drop so randomly, they kind of have to keep players from sticking around in one place forever early on, trying to farm Wands of Wishing off jackals and goblins.  Limited food is annoying, but it's a good way to discourage players from staying in one place.  Also, the occasional out-of-depth monster means that once you've been sitting in one level for a while, going deeper often makes you safer.  The monster generation tables being based on dlevel AND character level similarly keeps the player going forward, since hanging back just isn't even all that safe.

For the early and midgame, the wide variety of equipment and the small number of (important) class features discourages people from trying to play the same build every game.  You can encourage playing a more predictable game by giving less random equipment and more important class features...but in a roguelike, balance from game-to-game is less important than keeping player interest, and Diablo isn't THAT fun.  (Balance between classes is still important, but hey, it's one player, it's not that huge.  Game-to-game balance is kind of important to skew a little, so the player never knows when they're going to win big!..just as long as it's often enough to be fun, and the game isn't unfun when unlucky.)

Lots of roguelikes have a weapon specialization system; ADOM's is more hardcore than Nethack's.  That specialization system discourages players from swapping weapons too often, and it lets you give the player more good equipment for the same balance (what good is a wonderful sword to an epic mace user, well, that becomes a tough decision).  ADOM's is farmable though, since it's safer to go to weak places than in Nethack.  Nethack's is more strategic, since you can only even HAVE so many weapon skills.  This fits their styles, though...ADOM likes long-term characters that play it safe, Nethack encourages more dangerous play.  Keep in mind what you're encouraging before you decide on a skill system: If your gameplay can't support long-term games, you might not want to encourage players to farm when it won't be fun.

That actually has some relevance to Fenrir's game.  Think about what an "elf throwing" skill means.  It means that if you've thrown very few elves, you have no good reason to start; you'll probably miss.  It also means that if you've thrown a ton, you might as well keep specializing.  You're discouraging the player from branching out, and maybe making the game unbalanced in favor of elf chucking at the high end.  If you want to encourage the player to throw elves whenever convenient, you might not want a skill for it--instead, consider making it just based on level, strength, dex, etc!

When do you want a player to throw an elf?  If the answer is "whenever melee won't reach far enough", well, you'll want to make it easy enough for melee characters to get into, probably without practice.  If the answer is "whenever I need to shoot a dragon, but I've run out of projectiles", then you might want to base it off a more generic 'throwing' or 'ranged' skill.  If the answer is "for laughs, because elves are weak and easy to kill", then mages need to be able to fling elves too.  If the answer is "for massive damage", then players are going to spend hours herding elves into the room with the dragon, or making the dragon follow them into a room with elves, or elaborately constructing walls to channel where critters are.  "For defense when the elves close in"?  Then you might build elf throwing into a wrestling skill instead, where the player can specialize in a skill that lets them do less damage (due to being unarmed) but has more defensive options (elfchucking).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 02:25:46 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2009, 02:17:29 pm »

Good post!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2009, 02:41:29 pm »

Installed the Ruby one-click version for windows. I was pleased to learn that it includes a lot of the basics when installed, including PDCurses, OpenGL, pretty much every windows api library you could ever need, etc.

Now to dig into code

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 02, 2009, 03:49:13 pm »

Good points, Sowelu. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this game. I''l just scrap the crazy ideas and just make it a typical roguelike.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »

Hey, don't let me make you throw away fun ideas!  Keep them around!  Just keep an eye out for how you want the player to act.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2009, 04:00:26 pm »

Good points, Sowelu. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this game. I''l just scrap the crazy ideas and just make it a typical roguelike.
Hey, don't let me make you throw away fun ideas!  Keep them around!  Just keep an eye out for how you want the player to act.

Seriously...  "Because it's cool" is a great reason to put anything in, just make sure that the 'cool' stuff doesn't overpower the mechanics.  It sounds like you're on the right track though...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2009, 04:44:01 pm »

Another solution to the elf-throwing skill is to have it as a subset of a mid-size creature throwing skill so that throwing elves gets you better at throwing humans although still gives a slight benefit towards throwing elves.
Eh?
Eh!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »

I really, really hope to see creature throwing implemented in SOME game!  Not enough roguelikes allow critters-as-inventory.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »

I really, really hope to see creature throwing implemented in SOME game!  Not enough roguelikes allow critters-as-inventory.

Especially if it's infinitely recursive...  Everyone knows that the ranger titan dual-wielding ranger ogres dualwielding ranging halflings is the most dangerous thing ever...

And it should happen to PCs, too, to make the rancor bone in mouth thing possible

Oh yeah....

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

Not enough roguelikes allow critters-as-inventory.
I immediately thought:  "How many humans/elves/dwarfs can you fit in a tauntaun?"  ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »

Especially if it's infinitely recursive...  Everyone knows that the ranger titan dual-wielding ranger ogres dualwielding ranging halflings is the most dangerous thing ever...

And it should happen to PCs, too, to make the rancor bone in mouth thing possible

Oh yeah....

Well, obviously if creatures can be inventory items, I can't imagine why that creature would loose their own inventories. I think that what must be remembered is that not only creatures and chests can have inventories. even in dwarf fortress, swords have inventories, in that they can hold coverings of blood and the like.

I'd think that could be extrapolate that out further. What you're holding is a hilt, that has a sword blade in it's inventory.
!!&!!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2009, 10:15:39 pm »

To elaborate on what I was trying to say, when I said a knowledge system, I didn't mean game commands so much as game mechanics. If I ever manage to get my game working, a large part of it will be experimenting with substances to create poisons, potions, fuels and the like. Each game, the substances would be different, but after a while you'd be better at identifying them - maybe testing a small amount of a substance you found on a weapon to see if you get any poison bonuses.
Of course another way to get people's attention is achievements. I'd love to see a "Who can throw the Elf furthest" challenge when Fenrir's done his game.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2009, 08:05:05 am »

I think a good first roguelike should be very standard, with one special gimmick to make it stand out.  This way, you can focus on the basics while still making something special, until you're ready for a much bigger project involving dwarves and fortresses.
The roguelike I began to work on yesterday will be very simple, but I plan to add a very detailed AI for the boss, having the "boss-fight" span the entire dungeon with more scheming than fighting going on.  It'll involve a dragon and his hoard and you trying to run off with it.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2009, 01:58:38 pm »

Rhodan is probably right. My gimmick will be elf chucking.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »

Rhodan is probably right. My gimmick will be elf chucking.

Different colored elves do different things when thrown?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 72