Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Recreational Drugs  (Read 32127 times)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Recreational Drugs
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2009, 02:30:58 pm »

It'd still be nice to have a thermometer that isn't always full, unless it's freezing.

I don't want dwarves to be less crazy, I just want them to be easier to read.

This was probably confused somewhat, since I was also protesting the idea that losing people has to break you, or at least nearly break you. Everyone loses someone eventually, but not everyone has to go into a life altering fugue about it. If a dwarf still has a lot to live for, and his own conditions are quite good, he should be able to grieve without being seriously unhappy.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:53 pm »

They're only unstable because you cram them into 3x1 bedrooms

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2009, 04:39:28 pm »

No. They're always ectatic, because they all have personal palaces for rooms.

It still doesn't take much to drive some of them to suicide or berserk fury.

I'd like a way to tell how ecstatic my ecstatic dwarves are.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »

As for the rubber bouncing between Ecstatic and Depressed,

I think that's a part of dwarven personality having high imoderation and emotionality in the raws

Either that or they're highly susceptible to bipolar disorder. You know, mental hospitals would be a nice additon to DF.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »

I think that's a part of dwarven personality having high imoderation and emotionality in the raws

Either that or they're highly susceptible to bipolar disorder. You know, mental hospitals would be a nice additon to DF.
either or?  Try High Imoderation average IS highly susceptible to bipolar disorder...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »

Whoa wait what?

How did we get here? we must have taken a wrong turn back at "East India style trading".

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 04:14:34 am »

Actually, I think we got lost at "Dwarves are too crazy already, to be hopping them up on mind altering substances."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »

My butcher is "in a constant state of rage". He's also my woodcutter. After reading this... I am worried. His best bud just died, while he hid behind a tree, vomiting.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »

This is an exceptional rope reed straitjacket. It menaces with spikes of green glass. On it is a masterfully sewn image of Urist Greenboats losing his mind.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2009, 04:13:28 pm »

As if anyone would have been ale to take is axe away, let alone lock him up.
He' in a "constant state of rage". His best bud just died. He stumbled back to the fortress and into a party that everyone else in the fort was attending.

...and he's got an axe.

my manager - "Cancels Party. Attending A Meeting" and immediately counsels the guy.
Smart move, and a close call, from what I'm reading here.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2009, 04:44:14 pm »

a close call, from what I'm reading here.

Yeah, dwarves that seethe with rage have a tendency to go berserk instead of tantruming. At least such was my experience

Good times

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »

So the question becomes:

Should the manager have prescribed some dwarven valium, for the safety of the fortress, or should drugs stay out of DF?

--or is alcohol the dwarven valium, and it's just not strong enough for everything?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 09:18:08 pm »

He tantrumed. He drained a barrel of booze, calmed down.. but what's this? the barrel's EMPTY? ANGER - chucked it at somone. 

Repeat. 3 times.

Booze is not the Dwarven valium. Throwing things is. Booze makes them happy until they realize the barrel's empty.
[/quote]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2009, 01:38:48 am »

lololololol get back on track you dicks.

I posted an edit at the top of thread, summarizing. Continue discussion.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2009, 02:34:40 am »

I'm trying; I really am!

It's just so hard to stay serious about this, since drugs in rougelikes are usually silly gags, like the Nethack hallucinogen.

Maybe drug farming should be much more dependent on local climates, since it isn't so necessary for survival as food. Eventually, things like greenhouses could compensate for this, but until then, import, or build a city in a place that can grow it.

If you don't want to pay the overinflated price for elven Pipe Weed, you have to grow your own.

With supply and demand, a player could build a large farming center for drugs, before building his other cities, to ensure they have a cheap supply for the herbally minded members of the nobility. This applies to anything, but if suitable locations are hard to find, the player would have to be more deliberate about it for drugs.

Also, should there be some reflection of the dangers of mixing drugs, especially stimulants, with alcohol? It's a lot easier to OD on just about anything with alcohol in your system, and mixing stims with depressants (including alcohol) can be dangerous, particularly for those at risk for heart attacks.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14