Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Surgery/Medicine in DF  (Read 26291 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery/Medicine in DF
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:46 am »

Alright fine... so no Labcoats. Though it is hardly a requirement of science.

Also "Surgery should be in the game in some form"? If we include all the information that lost in the 1400s we would have things such as limited Brain surgery (If you had internal brain bleeding it was done to save your life with 50% survival rate)

Medical Science didn't advance all that much in the Surgery department or rather... Surgery is hardly a modern invention

Tripple Bypass isn't all that farfetched, in fact knowledge of veins is ancient. A Tripple Bypass succeeding however... Isn't very likely. Luckly for our dwarves they live in a world with people who have skills far outreaching our own. I could definately see a Legendary healer doing the tripple bypass successfully.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:24:50 am by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2009, 09:47:49 am »

Knowledge of chemical sience goes back to the ancient greek. By name the "Hermetic" is a school of alchemia which is notable. Most people think its only some kind of occultism but in fact it has many parts dialing with medicin, metallurgics and chemics.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2009, 09:56:43 am »

Perhaps Medicine in dwarf Fortress could be an Evolving feat.

Civilisations have chances to advance their medical knowledge and learn proceedures based on important surgeons, herbalists, doctors, and other medical based people.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:37 am »

would be neat as long this knowledge can also be lost and traded. It would be somehow inbelieveable if you die of something which the elve next dor could have healed with ease ... as long he doesnt has to deal with a, to him, unknown physiolgy in terms of poisontreatment etc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:54 am »

I probably should make a new topic for it.

COMMING SOON: !!!Medical Knowledge Advancement!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:51 am »

Well nice idea but you can expand that on more things like Herbalism Metalurgics, craft-types, Religious Pictures etc.

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

True we could... but if we do that Heph we will get flamed for trying to add "Research" into the game. I prefer the less Flame-attracting topic :D

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2009, 10:31:55 am »

Sadly yes althought it is nowhere near research, therefor trade of ideas etc. which can make the world even more immersiv and alive *sigh*. Maybe if i have the concept more fleshed out (with RL examples etc.) i make a suggestion on this.

Proud to be a Furry.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »

Simulating thousands of years of progress falls flat on it's face when it's up to the RNG to do it and the world has 200 years of history. As is, it just doesn't work. Not to mention the whole point of the raws being precise control over what civs can do

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 12:45:33 pm »

Simulating thousands of years of progress falls flat on it's face when it's up to the RNG to do it and the world has 200 years of history. As is, it just doesn't work. Not to mention the whole point of the raws being precise control over what civs can do

Unfortunately, the raws don't have precise control.  Honestly, once you get that control, it's a hop skip and a jump away from developing them over time.

The problem is that technological advances move fast, so supporting cultures learning from each other and being realistic but still technologically different would be hard

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »

sheesh knowledge exchange isnt that hard to do.

Lets asume the knowledge about Salvia and its antiseptic effects for the threads sake. This Knowledge is one "single item" known by elves (thanks to the raws) at the beginning of the game.

In terms of database programming you would have three tables.

Civs table - with the civ obvisiously.
Knowledge table - has the fact that Salvia is antiseptic (etc)
and a Knownby table - This "list" does know which civ knows what by a "civ id" and the "Knowledge id".

The knownby table may look like this (abstracted):

Civilisation   Knowledge
Elveciv1   Effect of salvia

If now a dwarfen doc and a Elven doc meet and the two talk they can trigger a Knowledge exchangefunction which just checks if the elve knows about something that the dwarf doesnt know. If the elve now does know something that the dwarf doesnt know the function just adds a entry to the "Knownby" table. So after the function is done the Table looks like this:

Civilisation   Knowledge
Elveciv1   Effect of salvia
Dwarfciv1   Effect of salvia

edit:

For a even better system you can aply for a civ a Commonknowledge table and for single entitys (adventurers, wandering docs etc.) a table that handle uncommon/additional knowledge.

This works also for almost everything beginning from Philosophical/religious ideas over how to make tunics to Medical knowledge.

edit2:

This is only knowledge exchange. creating new knowledge based on experiments is another thing but thanks to the detail of DF and the comming random stuff, atleast for medicin, art, and alike relativly easy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:42:21 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2009, 04:48:16 pm »

It's my understanding that right now the game can only really handle 200 years or so. So maybe there's plans in the future to extend that out, as it can be filled up with information.

I'd like to see a few tens of thousands of years of pre-history (especially since we're getting genetics), and atleast a few thousand years of dwarf civilization getting established, and on it's feet.

By the time it starts sending out colonizing parties, I want to have the 'Mountainhome' be this big bloated Romeish thing that's been around for forever, and that no one person, living or dead, really knows the complete history of.

Maybe even have it be rebuilt a few times, so that you've got a vast network of ruins, sewers, necropili, and *Hidden City Stuff*, alongside the living city.

By the way, I've got some more links to ancient medicine stuff, which I'll be adding to the OP along with the others, so that everything's on the same page.
For they would be your masters.

Rhontos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:55 pm »

1400s didn't have SCIENCE! \☺/ \m/_☺

Seriously, setting broken bones and basic surgery is more than enough. Perhaps you like the idea of golden dwarven cyborgs but it flies in the face of the 1400s limit and reality itself

Alchemy can be useful without making them research cancer cures. It's probably related to processing poisons and other extracts to a usable form. Even if we go the old route of turning lead to gold, they'll be anything but useless since lead as is is pretty worthless for things beyond making it into mugs and selling them to elves

I am not suggesting that research goes that far, I definitely wouldn't want it to ever get to the point where anything could be fixed 100% of the time. I would hope that the research is really slow and limited, but is worth it in the long run when you have the potential of many wounded dwarfs.

Also, when I referred to alchemy as useless, I meant the current iteration of it is useless. An expanded alchemy tree would be very nice, and I put it in my explanation because it would be beneficial to medicine. The other goal of alchemy was an elixir of life after all, not that I want it to go that far.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »

The game will last longer then 200 years after the combat Arc and once Toady may/maynot allow the (Semi)Megabeasts to reproduce as well as allowing longer lasting peace treaties.

So I think bringing up the fact that the game currently only lasts 200 years of world gen is kinda premature.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2009, 08:16:58 am »

We'd need a lot more sophisticated history generation for this to even be worth talking about. I don't even know where to begin. Band-aids really wouldn't change anything. It's best left abstracted
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15