Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Surgery/Medicine in DF  (Read 26281 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery/Medicine in DF
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2009, 11:00:06 pm »

Toady has said pre 1400 AD technology, with the exception of gunpowder and steam power, and we might be wiser and better off just to stick to that.

It's a nice big vague date without a geographic indicators, and we can harness it to our own uses.

The more stuff that gets nailed down as "in" or "out", the less breathing room we'll ultimately have to come up with stuff we want to see in the game.

Personally, I'm up for anything that either:

1: wasn't a direct *cause* of the Industrial Revolution (gunpowder/nitroglycerine, steam engines),

2: that wasn't/didn't become a central invention of the Industrial Revolution (automobiles)

3: wasn't a direct result of the Industrial Revolution (canned goods, television/radio)

4: didn't further the Industrial Revolution (the automatic printing press, electricity).

5: isn't "dwarfy", or alters/unbalances the game (NBC warfare, jackhammers, compressed air rifles)

But that's just what I go by. I think there's plenty of modern inventions that would work fine in the game, that were invented post 1400AD, but that's not my call, and it's really not something we want to get out of control.
For they would be your masters.

guspav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2009, 08:48:21 am »

How about penicillin? That could help and is easily obtaine in moldy food! :D

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

Yikes, it's bad enough of how we're mishandling antibiotics now with out relatively advance technology, knowledge and general education, and still creasing super-resilient bacteria from sheer stupidity; but if we'd had it from the middle ages onward diseases would rule supreme today!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »

Yikes, it's bad enough of how we're mishandling antibiotics now with out relatively advance technology, knowledge and general education, and still creasing super-resilient bacteria from sheer stupidity; but if we'd had it from the middle ages onward diseases would rule supreme today!

Not exactly... but there would have most likely been a lot more plagues

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »

Well thats an rather academical question cause there are substances for Example in certain canabis form that are Antibiotical in Effect but base on an entirly different mechanism. That stuff is today usesd against super ressistent streptococs (Testusage somewhere in the USA) and it works where the strongest "normal" Antibiotics fail.

I think we would have developed a bit medicin faster but would have developed other stuff less.

That reminds me. How about giving deseases some (upbuilding) resistences too? So the Red Death cant be cured by Magic (after a while).

As i see it we will get crippled dwarfs here and there, that could be interresting for Adv mode. How are the different Civs and cultures treating theyr injured? Do Elves eat them? Slaugthered at the Gobs and then zombiefied by the Demon? Beggars in Human towns? Suicide among Dwarfs?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2009, 05:31:19 pm »

Well perhaps only supernatural Diseases should be capable of resisting magic... well depending on the spell

In the same way that few diseases can survive being dropped into a vat of alcohol no matter how infectious.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »

I'd like to seem magical healing be rare, at least in fortress mode. Maybe adventurers can get a fix from elves or leeches or what have you, but a fortress should have to have a well trained medical staff to deal with most of it's wounds.

Using mystical and superstitious treatments to aid, but not eliminate the need for, healing would be a good way for the magic arc to tie back into the wound system, without removing the need for a good surgeon in every fortress.

Perhaps the dwarves have some sort of sympathetic crystal healing that consumes cut gems. They're finite enough in supply that a player isn't going to burn them up, unless he's sure his medical team isn't up to the task. It also helps tie dwarves into the mountains and rocks that define their civilization.

Advanced spells, like limb restoration could require a Large precious gem. If magic has a failure rate, you're not even going to let your dwarves try, unless the dwarf in question is a Champion.

Really though, the appropriate tone for the magic arc is pretty far off the subject, and arguing about it is just going to waste our time.

Perhaps, traveling healers should come to your fort and offer their services. Whether they're leechmen or elves doesn't matter mechanically, but they should be rare and expensive(maybe they come with the elven caravan, but only once every few years) so as to not overshadow the value of training your own medical staff.

If the various civs are better at treating certain illnesses, these guys could really pull your fat out of the fire.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:01 pm »

Perhaps the dwarves have some sort of sympathetic crystal healing that consumes cut gems. They're finite enough in supply that a player isn't going to burn them up

You mean those rocks I import by the boatload? They're not exactly precious

Not sure if the game needs to get it's ideas from new age scam artists. Awfully clichéd

Advanced spells, like limb restoration could require a Large precious gem

Which can also be imported to the point of being meaningless

Limb loss should be a permanent disability. Anything less trivializes it. Not to mention disrespects the inherent badassery of crippled champions not needing two arms to wipe the floor with the enemy

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2009, 11:24:55 pm »

Where limb loss is concerned, my vote is for advanced mechanical prostheses:

Lose an arm? gain a -pick-
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:29 pm »

I agree with Pilsu here, although weirdass prostheses could be just as hardcore as a guy with one arm.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:23 am »

Advanced spells, like limb restoration could require a Large precious gem

Limb loss should be a permanent disability. Anything less trivializes it. Not to mention disrespects the inherent badassery of crippled champions not needing two arms to wipe the floor with the enemy

I don't know..it really depends on, that what magic system we gonna have later on. While loosing a limb should be a permanent disability, but high magic and "high tier" spells or rituals should be powerful enough to "restore" lost limbs even...but again, this is just my subjective opinion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2009, 11:00:35 am »

Pilsu that implies that those your importing it from have access to it in steady amounts.

Though if you played for the years and years to stockpile enough so that loss of limb is no longer a threat... I think you deserve it.

Limb loss should be a permanent disability. Anything less trivializes it.

Even if Limbs always could be regrown after battle (which it shouldn't)... it is hardly trivial. Huge blood loss and being forced to use a one handed weapon with no shield (or maybe buckler) is like a death sentence and in fact should be a death sentence for all but the most hearty of warriors.

Maybe adventurers can get a fix from elves or leeches or what have you, but a fortress should have to have a well trained medical staff to deal with most of it's wounds

While I believe that Adventurers should have the most access to such wonderous healing practices but even I think that is a bit much. Adventurers should have to work for it or be very lucky. So if they Elves did have a Salve taken from the sap of a tree that only grows on a haunted hill when the moon is full, it should be expencive or even sacred and off bounds. I am also open to gods regenerating your arm if you give your life to them (but that should change the game and not be guarenteed).

Though mind you... I am always open to exceptions though the game should somehow recognise they exist. So if elves got lucky and found a endless supply of Bodypart regenerating Salve they should become a legendary force known to be able to spring back from fatal injuries seemingly over night and people should spread rumors about their magical salve. It should be possible, but not every world (even full sized) should have it.

Mind you I am all for World Gen Rarities even if it could somehow be exploited or cause normally harmless individuals to become world powers.

Actually come to think of it who even says the Healing Salve is guarenteed? Sure it can regrow an arm but there are other questions. Perhaps the Salve has a chance of just downright killing the individual. Maybe the Salve causes odd side-effects. Perhaps the Salve works BY causing odd side-effects (turns you into a Frogman and thusly you have natural bodypart regeneration or perhaps it turns your flesh into Sponge).

Some creatures should also have a VERY difficult time regenerating bodyparts but should be more possible then others. Assuming the Bronze collosus was sentient it should be able to have his arm rebuilt... but he would require TONS of bronze and possibly a legendary Blacksmith.

high magic and "high tier" spells or rituals should be powerful enough to "restore" lost limbs even...but again, this is just my subjective opinion

Well, not that high... but it really depends how magic is done...

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2009, 02:39:19 pm »

True, you can import stupid amounts of gems, but hopefully that will change when the supply and demand effects get put in.

-and yeah, crystal magic is hokey, hippy crap, but dwarves are sort of make out of gems or rocks in the first place, depending on the myth. Why wouldn't a wizard with legendary skills and enough bags of gems at least be able to try to make replacement parts? It probably shouldn't work on humans, though.

Considering the hippy, tree-hugger vibe associated with crystals in our own world, it might be appropriate to make this an elf only ability. That would mean that adventureres would need to buy gems from the dwarves and carry them to the elves, to get their legs back. Seems kind of like we're tying an idea to much to the people who advocate it in our world though. Dwarves love gems; why can't they attribute magical properties to them?

What about good, old fashioned Hook-hands. How many of you love them? These should be the go-to solution for one handed soldiers, unless we can graft swords to the stumps.

Doctor Claw-sque hot-swappable hands for every occasion, would be pretty cool, and allow a dwarf to work again, even if his job normally requires a tool in each hand. A hammer hand for a stonecrafter to strike his chisel with would be a good start, but right now a dwarf doesn't need to hold tools at all, so that's probably unnecessarily complex.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:47 pm »

What about good, old fashioned Hook-hands. How many of you love them? These should be the go-to solution for one handed soldiers, unless we can graft swords to the stumps.

Doctor Claw-sque hot-swappable hands for every occasion, would be pretty cool, and allow a dwarf to work again, even if his job normally requires a tool in each hand. A hammer hand for a stonecrafter to strike his chisel with would be a good start, but right now a dwarf doesn't need to hold tools at all, so that's probably unnecessarily complex.
PowerGoal45, MEET THE CYBERFIST, (Future): You use your iron geared prosthetic hand to crush a piece of stone in front of the cowering goblin, and it passes out.

That sounds like a more dwarven solution to lost limbs than crystals and stuff...
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »

Ooh. Metal gears... :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15