Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Surgery/Medicine in DF  (Read 26277 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery/Medicine in DF
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 09:40:24 pm »

I like Badger's idea. Adding magic into normal healing processes is frivolous but healing nerve damage requiring a little something extra makes sense. Preferably an extract from a creature that can heal such damage, mixed up by the royal alchemist

Could send out a Hunter or two and a couple dogs to find the extract. Werewolf blood perhaps, give them a few vials, food and drink and equipment. No guarantees they'd ever come back, affected by the gear they were given. Sometimes they'd just come back empty handed. This could then be reflected in adventure mode with similar guests

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 05:32:46 am »

The tools of a dwarf surgeon would be a gallon of whiskey, an axe and a hot shovel.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 06:21:13 am »

Have bleeding last longer, and require cloth bandages and an idle dwarf to stem(The more badass military dwarves could carry bandages in their backpacks to do the bandaging themselves, provided they are still conscious). The bandages will be taken off as <used bandages> once the wound has healed, and thrown into the refuse heap.

When a weapon or projectile gets stuck in a wound, it should require a trained doctor to remove. The doctor will carry a bandage with him, and stem the bleeding caused by removing the weapon. Doctor training will help prevent the removal process from causing even more damage to the wound.

I don't like the idea of reattaching body parts, as having limbs chopped off should be anything but trivial. Also, having the occasional one-eyed, or one-armed dwarf running around will be badass once phantom limb pain gets fixed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:27:39 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 06:46:37 am »

Well applying an Peg-leg an Peg-hand or an peg-spine should be possible if not some kind of further advanced prothesis (Cutoff <metal>man-limbs for example).

On the Psychological side i can see our now useless noble Philosopher as counseler.

Maybe healthcare should be parted in 3 Thing: Herbalism, sugery and Psychological help. The first two dealing with piosons, illness wounds and mixing drugs/medicine and the later to the Mental wounds.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:05:21 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 09:24:56 am »

I'm saying that even if only legendary or master healers could bring a fallen soldier back to life, a significant amount of grit would be lost.

Yeah but your doing it by accident by attributing outside forces your seemingly unaware of

There are two issues
1) How common are Legendary or Master healers?
-They should be highly uncommon
and
2) How common is it for them to succeed?

I don't think a dwarf recently dead, must be recently dead since it is all about if the brain survives, being brought before the healer and having him effectively bring him back to life once every five tries with the use of rare an expencive Salve.

Anyhow from what I understand is you are for hard Adventure mode and Fortress mode segregation in what can and cannot be done.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 01:21:29 pm »

Well applying an Peg-leg an Peg-hand or an peg-spine should be possible if not some kind of further advanced prothesis (Cutoff <metal>man-limbs for example).

Yaaaarrrr! Aye, matey! This me dorfs wants! And Dorfen Rum!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »

Yaaaarrrr! Aye, matey! This me dorfs wants! And Dorfen Rum!

Maybe fully functioning Prostetics could come in the form of artifacts...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2009, 04:30:52 pm »

That's some artifact, even we aren't even close to making those

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

What about that thing from Full Metal Alchemist?

Auto Mail?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2009, 04:43:23 pm »

True, but we are getting there. (we are also getting to a point where we could regenerate bodyparts in real life to a limited extent but the technology has proven to so far be a dead end and cancerous)

In Dwarf Fortress I would expect a fully functioning prostetic limb to be a minor artifact given the existance of Golems and possibly artifacts that could grant regeneration. Well unless it had other powers and abilities such as super strength or hidden weapons. Hmm unless I guess "fully functioning" is an ability that a Prostetic Limb artifact could get.

Though mind you that Artifacts should always be powerful, rare, and unique enough to be wared over.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2009, 05:13:48 pm »

The tools of a dwarf surgeon would be a gallon of whiskey, an axe and a hot shovel.

Our dwarfs is hardcore, but they aint stupid.

I think they'd have a full range of excellent medical tools for every concievable purpose (scalpels, saws, even waterpower-driven blades and drills), and that, atleast where the actual surgery is involved, they'd probably be better at it than most pre-1400ad surgeons, simply because of the fact that dwarfs live so damn long.

Elves would probably be much better diagnostic healer-physicians, because they live longer than dwarfs. Ofcourse, their being the best herbalists is a given.

Goblins might actually have the best broad level of medical skill/technology around, because not only do they live forever, like elves, they lose more fights than dwarfs do.

Not to mention, the goblin Nation is made up of every common humanoid race in the DF world, so they'd be familiar with techniques and illnesses that nobody else would know about.

Although I *am* liking more and more the idea that the Leechmen would have special healing talents that no other race could duplicate, atleast where diseases of the blood and body are concerned.

I think it'd be cool if those guys could have like an internal dialysis machine, and be able to drain all a dwarf's blood, cure any illness present, and then put most of the blood back (Leechmen need to eat too), without permanently harming the dwarf.

It might even be cool if a Leechman's ministrations actually *could* reduce the rest time required for healing some wounds (depending on the wound), due to their "skills" with blood, and pain-reducing/eliminating saliva.

As an aside, aside from any abilities they might or might not possess, and ofcourse the theme, I'm interested in Leechmen because I think it would be cool to see atleast one of the humanoid races being potentially an "additional resource", when you find them on the map. As it stands-aside from the dubious benefits humans and elves might provide-having any humanoids around your Fortress is universally either a serious annoyance or a threat.

I can't think of any exceptions, atleast for dwarfs, and I don't think it should always be like that.
For they would be your masters.

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2009, 05:43:01 pm »

I think you'd need to choose a time period and culture. Before the Western Roman Empire fell they actually had forms of local anesthesia, antiseptics and 'crude' (by today's standards) surgical procedures. After the fall, most of that knowledge would be lost until the fall of the Eastern Empire (Byzantium) in the 15th century and the spread of the documents contained in Constantinople to Europe, kicking off the renaissance.

But apparently India, China, and some other 'advanced' ancient civilizations had medical and surgical methods that wouldn't be rediscovered until the late 19th to early 20th centuries.

So it'd probably be best to take each racial group and assign them a time period and culture with which to measure the level of medical knowledge. Or to mash a few together, which would be cooler, imo.
arr!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »

I think you'd need to choose a time period and culture. Before the Western Roman Empire fell they actually had forms of local anesthesia, antiseptics and 'crude' (by today's standards) surgical procedures. After the fall, most of that knowledge would be lost until the fall of the Eastern Empire (Byzantium) in the 15th century and the spread of the documents contained in Constantinople to Europe, kicking off the renaissance.

But apparently India, China, and some other 'advanced' ancient civilizations had medical and surgical methods that wouldn't be rediscovered until the late 19th to early 20th centuries.

So it'd probably be best to take each racial group and assign them a time period and culture with which to measure the level of medical knowledge. Or to mash a few together, which would be cooler, imo.

Well if we want to get technical... the Islamic people (I hope that is the correct term) had advanced methods for testing drug treatment

And in Neolithic times people knew what plants could even prevent pregnancy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2009, 05:57:39 pm »

Yeah, the Muslim Golden Age (or whatever you want to call it, around the 9th-11th centuries maybe) was pretty damn advanced in a lot of areas.

You'd really be surprised what you find out about older civilizations. Think about it; if people have been castrating their livestock for so long, and successfully, then of course we've done simple surgeries on each other too. :P

Hell, the ancient Greeks had urinary catheters and stuff. Which isn't really something I want to think about, but still.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 06:39:12 pm »

The use of the philosopher as a secular councilor has been brought up before a couple of times, among others by me. I still like the idea, stave off some of those tantrum spirals and whatnot.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15