Yes :'(
- 201 (86.6%)
Nope! ;D
- 15 (6.5%)
What's HFS? :o
- 16 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?  (Read 4700 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did you spoil HFS for yourself?
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:15:20 am »

When I first joined to forums here, there was one acronym the baffled me every time it was mentioned, HFS. It was mentioned so much I couldn't help but put in 'HFS' in the dwarfort wiki. Of course it lead me to "that article" and I read through it despite the warnings. I have to admit my first encounter with HFS wasn't as impressive as it could have been because of this.

So, how many of you couldn't resist the temptation? If you don't already know what HFS is I urge you not to look it up. You'll know it when it happens, it's quite Fun. Don't spoil it for yourself!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did you spoil HFS for yourself?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:01 am »

Look... the fact of the matter is that unless you played the 2d version... You weren't going to find the HFC by chance

So anyone here who votes Yes who only played the 3d version is a Liar!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:28:17 am »

I read the wiki for like a week before playing,so yeah...

Funny thing though:  there actually was HFS in my first fort with me going out of my way looking for it. meh

The real question is: are you going spoil your regarding the new features Toady is implementing?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:40 am »

I spoiled mine. I never play near mountains, anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Only those stuck up mountain dwarves can even get it. Same with cave rivers, and chasms, and bottomless pits, and cave pools, and all that other stuff.

What they don't have is knowledge.

They don't know that some day, the hill dwarves, the rightful rulers of the earth, will rise up and destroy them. They will be burnt in fires stoked by the hate that they have sown the seeds of, and their precious HFS will be caved in, along with the rest of the petty, worthless mountains!

NEVER STOP FIGHTING! SOME DAY, THE HILL DWARVES WILL WIN!!!

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:52 am »

I read the wiki for like a week before playing,so yeah...

Haha, I'm not the only one XD Reading the wiki scared me, so I had to be prepared for the occasion. I didn't want my brain to turn to mush  :P

@inaluct: :o

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:40:08 am »

@inaluct: :o

Don't try and hide it! You know, deep down in your blackened, shriveled heart that this is the only way! The world has been ground under the heavy heel of the mountain dwarves for too long! Now only violence can bring about what is right!

They can't hold us off forever. Some day, they will be broken and destroyed, the way they have crushed so many others!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:04 am »

I looked the acronym "HFS" up and saw "massive spoilers", so I didn't read the article.
However, from all the references in the wiki and on the forums I concluded that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Pretty close.
I finally just looked it up >.<

I got my first encounter with HFS 3 days ago. I was totally annihilated even with 10 champions..
So HFS DID catch me by surprise in a manner ^^
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:03:28 am »

Anybody who didn't should probably, seriously, never consider going into business.

So yes, I did it. I did it gladly. I have full confidence that if you wiped my memory and reintroduced me to the game, I'd research it again.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:11 am »

Hello!

Well, I have never come across HFS - during 2D, I never reached the magma, and in 3D I am not deliberately looking for it.

Still, rather early on, I got a rough idea about it from the forums. The details about it would probably be interesting for me, but it does not really fit in well with my style of play, so if possible, I would rather not come across it.

As for the general idea of checking on features, I prefer to have a general idea of what is available and then try to see it in the game myself - so medium spoiling is probably the ideal for me. Especially with DF, this works very well as there are so many unpredictable details you can look forward to even if the general nature of an event/site are known (I still enjoy looking at engravings, even though I understand what they are).

Deathworks

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:59:05 am »

I did too.
I have been reading the wiki excessively, when i first booted up the game. Still, i haven't founds any HFS in ANY fort i had :(
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

NewMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather have Asimov be right.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:24 am »

Have you used the site finder?
*Has learned to despise the windows 7 beta within half-a-day* *It's still better then vista, though* *Wants to mod in a race of giant robots, but can't be bothered*

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:29 am »

Hello!

Speaking of the site finder, there is another aspect to this:

If you don't have such things revealed on embark screen and also don't use the finder, knowing about the existance of HFS can actually enhance the thrill of the game (especially if you are afraid of the HFS): Every time you start to dig in a location where it would technically be possible to find HFS, you will have to think about whether it is there or not. And the deeper you go, the greater the fear can become, until there is the deadly certainty ...

Anyhow, knowing about the possible existence of a feature does not prevent it from being a surprise. I just remembered a "nice" incident in one of my first 3D fortresses: I had been exploring bridges and 3D constructions especially for fortress defenses, but there was a design flaw concerning my front entrance defenses. So, I started digging around there (one level below surface) - and lost a miner as he fell into the chasm he had discovered right under my main main entrance (^_^;;

Knowing that there are chasms is one thing. Having one suddenly show up directly under your main entrance is a completely different matter. I have to admit that I lost interest in the fortress because of the loss of the miner and the difficulty of overcoming this situation, but it was interesting because of the shape it took.

Deathworks

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:52 am »

I tried not to, but after enough (2D) wiki articles I had a general idea about the pits and the adamantine. The 3D version only combined them, which didn't come as much af a surprise. I did spoil the HFS itself by using reveal to check out the ore patterns (the floors were a surprise, however. So... much... depravity), as at that point I thought all ore veins crossed z-levels and I wanted to see what everything looked like.

If you don't have such things revealed on embark screen and also don't use the finder, knowing about the existance of HFS can actually enhance the thrill of the game (especially if you are afraid of the HFS):
This.

I might do the same for chasms as well. The last place I embarked with a chasm had it open to the surface, and of course I had no way of knowing whether there were GCS in them there hills.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 08:45:38 am »

Heh, in order to get my first succesful fort going, I read up all I could on the wiki.
HFS was also part of that reading. I read about the rarity, and later started some other less succesful forts to find it. This was before the official sitefinder implement was introduced.

Some of these forts turned out to be okayish, and were fun to play even with the absense of the HFS. Way later I managed to find one with the help of a sitefinder tool. I was actively looking for it, and needless to say, I got slaughtered immediately.

Satisfied with my research, I returned back to my old first succesful fortress. I played this one for a few more in-game years, then got a bit bored when economy kicked in, and mayors started mandates that I couldn't possibly fulfill. So I activated reveal.exe to see if there were unfound ores or other valuable resources I had missed for all that time I had played.

... and guess what I found then. HFS! It had been sitting right under my first fort for all that time, and I had been just two depth layers away from breaching it!

I smacked myself over the head for not finding it on accident. It would've been so glorious. I still regret that to this day.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:54:36 am »

i read it in the wiki. i like knowing what i might find, if that thing is as dangerous as HFS. and i don't regret it.

since i don't play on mountains, only times i found HFS was when i looked for it with site finder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5