Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 2978 times)

libertinessj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Slavery
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:00 am »

Goblins have kobolds and orc have goblins. I think we should give dwarves slaves too.

They could be tiny races like gnomes or kobolds and you could trade for them with caravans or maybe capture kobolds when they try to steal your stuff. You could make them do unskilled labor like hauling and crop harvesting and then when they die you could eat them and make fasionable hats out of their skin. To keep them from eating dwarven food they could live on vermin instead, making them a net economic contribution to the fortress.

Thoughts/opinions???

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
Re: Slavery
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

Not an awful idea, though I'd limit the benefits to just hauling...perhaps even attract MORE vermin as one drawback. And if you're going to have slavery, you have to include the possibility of bloody rebellion.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:42:00 am »

Hah, I'd love making those damn kobolds slaves.

Also, capturing elven traders and making them chop down trees = hahaha.

Not to mention making any goblin invader survivors slaves.

But yeah, rebellion would be awesome too. Maybe if enough slaves mingle for a while, they will start to go berserk and kill anything around them.

[ January 05, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:05:00 am »

You should check if there already is a topic on the subject before making a new one.
War and Slavery
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Manicmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

Maybe slaves could be organized into work gangs, like military squads now, with 1 dwarf overseer for every x slaves, maybe this would be the function of a military unit, of a noble in the vein of bookkeepers (obviously several positions), af a group set up like the fortress/ royal guard (Overseer corp or something) or even as a new labour.

ooh, and they should all be chained to one another, and be able to be chained to walls. Or rocks. Which will be chasmed  :)

JESUS CHRIST ITS A SKELK!!! GET IN THE WAGON!!!<BR>Originally posted by penguinofhonor:<P>It''s true what someone once said, "The only things more insane than the dwarves are the players."
Anticheese: The undead don't kill. They recruit
Momaw: Ennui is a pointless word.  By the time you're feeling it, you don't care what it's called

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

We certainly need slaves.  With so many creatures being untrainable and un-eat-able, and cage traps so unbalanced at the moment, we're going to be stuck with a lot of invaders in our power, and nowt to do with them.  Perhaps you could chain them to walls and let them rot away, worrying other invaders.  Then we need proper fear implemented, and MASSIVE SUPER DEATH FORTRESSES OF INTIMIDATING DOOM will be in our grasps.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

Why do half the posts in this thread feel like copy-pastes from the old one...?

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

Because this is a good idea, thus many people agree which doesn't generate many conflicting ideas, thus, the copy-paste syndrome.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

Kobolds are not goblins slaves.

Also the only thing slaves would be good for is hauling, and if I had slaves hauling instead of dwarves then my dwarves would just sit idle. Not bad for the dwarves, I guess, but kind of pointless to bother with slaves (and possible escapes or rebellions or whatever) when there is no real reason to not just use otherwise idle dwarves.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

libertinessj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chaos:
<STRONG>You should check if there already is a topic on the subject before making a new one.
War and Slavery</STRONG>

I checked that thread and it was completely retarded and my idea is much better thank you for your input though!

[ January 06, 2008: Message edited by: libertinessj ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by libertinessj:
<STRONG>I checked that thread and it was completely retarded and my idea is much better thank you for your input though!</STRONG>

How is your ill-defined "we should have slaves" idea better than one that has been described in excruciatingly high detail?

libertinessj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

How is your ill-defined "we should have slaves" idea better than one that has been described in excruciatingly high detail?</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Vay'lon:
<STRONG>What about raping slaves?
They could bear half-breeds, which could then become a slave, or become a full citizen of society.</STRONG>

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

Hehehe. Dorcs.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by libertinessj:
<STRONG>I checked that thread and it was completely retarded and my idea is much better thank you for your input though!</STRONG>

Quite alright. And let me commend you on being so mature by the way.

A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>How is your ill-defined "we should have slaves" idea better than one that has been described in excruciatingly high detail?</STRONG>
Shh, let's not stir up his jealousy.

My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2