Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578327 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10785 on: January 21, 2010, 02:40:07 pm »

Well, there was some talk about power for buildings when the custom workshops got done, so he's at least aware of that. And the vehicles should be covered in the siege improvements section, assuming siege engines are raw'd rather than hardcoded. I can't imagine teleporting behaviour of any sort will go in before the far-distant magic arc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10786 on: January 21, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »

How much power do you plan on giving modders over buildings?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which require power to function, or which spawn creatures (particularly members of the player's civilization/race) as well as items?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which allow teleportation, whether between two buildings or simply set to a waypoint? Will we be able to have migrations require and be spawned on a building?
Will any of this be possible with some kind of script?
Will it be possible to change the siege alert text (A vile force of darkness has arrived!) to something else?
Will we eventually be able to make vehicles, with customizable tiles and sizes and be able to set man/dwarfpower requirements on certain functions of those vehicles (such as a tank firing its gun, or a driller drilling) and attach skills to those positions, and have those skills affect performance?
Will this be possible with some kind of script?
When can we expect any of this, if ever?

Beyond what Dante said above, and what Toady said about sieges in DF Talk 2, Toady's not going to have specific answers for any of that.  It'd certainly all be cool, but it's too far off to say anything with certainty.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10787 on: January 21, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »

The dev_now makes me wonder: what is the blocker on having adventure-mode dwarves be able to do everything a fortress-mode dwarf can do?  Is it just a matter of adding some UI for it (i.e. a matter of time), or some deeper question?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:02:56 pm by numerobis »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10788 on: January 21, 2010, 04:08:35 pm »

Realtime. Normally, dwarves do stuff in realtime. You'd have to somehow think of a way for an adventurer to keep his wits about him when doing something for a long time. Maybe an alternative "realtime mode" for Adventure Mode? Some roguelikes get away with it, like 3059. Say, if no combat happens around the player, allow to switch into realtime, so normal fort-mode actions can be done.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10789 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »

Maybe an alternative "realtime mode" for Adventure Mode?

This would be nice for all kinds of things, like just standing in a town and watching people walk around.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10790 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »

There's a mechanism for cancelling jobs when interrupted, so that should work out.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10791 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:41 pm »

Say, if no combat happens around the player, allow to switch into realtime, so normal fort-mode actions can be done.

I'm actually making a roguelike myself for a class and this is the direction I think I'm going to take it - similar to a Bioware game, like Baldur's Gate or Dragon AGe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10792 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »

Well a general ability to skip time during Adventure mode would always be nice as well...

But still...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10793 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:07 pm »

y'all know you can just hold . to make time pass, right?

Or, make a macro that presses "." X number of times.

I made a macro for picking up and throwing. I can eat my breakfast whilst watching my Adventurer throw dirt at his feet. He does it a thousand times; knocks me into the legendary after about 5/10 minutes.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10794 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:09 pm »

Considering that we've got ASCII for Fortress Mode, I wonder if maybe someday we might see such a "realtime mode" concieved in glorious wireframe?

ala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_daggorath

Sure it's 3D graphics, but it's 3D graphics from 1982.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10795 on: January 21, 2010, 05:33:15 pm »

Considering that we've got ASCII for Fortress Mode, I wonder if maybe someday we might see such a "realtime mode" concieved in glorious wireframe?

ala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_of_daggorath

Sure it's 3D graphics, but it's 3D graphics from 1982.

I'm confused, what does the realtime mode described by Sean Mirrsen have to do with graphics?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10796 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »

The post is only half serious, but there is a certain desire to go along with it:

I'm thinking of "realtime" in terms of sitting back and watching the world pass by. Observing dwarfs in your Fortress, for instance, wandering around in the persuit of their daily lives, or actually performing jobs you yourself ordered.

ASCII is the right choice for Fortress mode, as far as I'm concerned, and I can see it working fine for Adventure mode too, but people-watching? Immediate environment perception?

Graphics don't have to be just about glitter. They can actually be a tool, sometimes. This seems like it might be one of those cases.

Wireframing would allow a bit of that, just enough to give you a sense of "you are there", without breaking the illusion and "filling in the blanks" your imagination is providing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:43:44 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10797 on: January 21, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »

That's cool and all, but let's please not discuss graphics in this thread.  We've had billions of threads about graphics and there won't be anything new to say until Toady implements something.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10798 on: January 21, 2010, 05:58:12 pm »

I'm not really discussing them-as in, this isn't a suggestion that wireframes be limplemented-just mentioning something that your post made me think of, as concerns the realities and limitations of the current game to portray it in an effective way.

So, no crazy graphics flamewar, please.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10799 on: January 21, 2010, 06:23:41 pm »

How much power do you plan on giving modders over buildings?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which require power to function, or which spawn creatures (particularly members of the player's civilization/race) as well as items?
Will we eventually be able to have buildings which allow teleportation, whether between two buildings or simply set to a waypoint? Will we be able to have migrations require and be spawned on a building?
Will any of this be possible with some kind of script?
Will it be possible to change the siege alert text (A vile force of darkness has arrived!) to something else?
Will we eventually be able to make vehicles, with customizable tiles and sizes and be able to set man/dwarfpower requirements on certain functions of those vehicles (such as a tank firing its gun, or a driller drilling) and attach skills to those positions, and have those skills affect performance?
Will this be possible with some kind of script?
When can we expect any of this, if ever?

You are supposed to Email these in.
Only if you want them answered on DFTalk. Questions arestill answered here.

in re: adventurer skills: yes, timescale. Also the whole "material/anvil" dependency cycles, as well as building whole workshops yourself to do things not really feeling like how you'd do it.

And UI would need making, yes.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 718 719 [720] 721 722 ... 1065