Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637780 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10755 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:07 am »

Toadyverse kobolds are good at catching snakes, so presumably they could save up a bunch of venom and use that to bag larger game.  Wonder how much cobra venom an elephant could stand.  Or what it would do to one, for that matter...

UseBees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:36 am »

what i'm thinking (wondering is more accurate, i guess) is if there will be more things that are flammable. i recently read the underground coal fire article on wikipedia, and was wondering:
what is going to happen in regards to flammability? will there be more things that are flammable/explosive? would an underground coal fire burning for years and years and years be possible? what about forest fires? will we be a token for flammable/explosive?

Coal already burns for quite a while, a year or two rather than decades. Of course though, the coal seam involved in that link is bigger than whats found in DF.

AFAIK, flammability hasn't changed and theres already tags for boiling and ignite points. However, given that we can do ALOT more stuff with materials now, we will have to wait and see what the full potential is.
thanks for your response. i sort of realized i forgot to ask will we be able to ignite things intentionally without some rube-goldberg-esque set up?
You mean more things than plants?
yes, more than plants, and what about in fortress mode?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: January 21, 2010, 12:58:33 am »

Toadyverse kobolds are good at catching snakes, so presumably they could save up a bunch of venom and use that to bag larger game.  Wonder how much cobra venom an elephant to deal with.  Or what it would do to one...

I believe one dose is enough venom to drop an elephant

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: January 21, 2010, 01:10:37 am »

Yea, there are venoms/poisons out there with potencies that DEFINE overkill.

It doesn't just have to be snakes either, they could use some combination of plant toxins or if the kobolds live in a rainforest climate and have DF's equivalent of poison arrow frogs, they could use those.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: January 21, 2010, 01:32:25 am »

I have a feeling something venomous will become the next king of beasts.
Meh.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: January 21, 2010, 01:41:51 am »

Yes. Titans that drip venom from their feet.
For they would be your masters.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:34 am »

Yes. Titans that drip venom from their feet.

tree frogs. Or anything that makes it in with contact-poison. i can see it now: fisherdwarf cancels capture toad - suffocating.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: January 21, 2010, 04:54:06 am »

I'm not going to green this, because somebody on the forums certainly knows.

There is a cap for attributes for this release, right? What percent of the normal attributes can you get to now? 200? 300?

In one of the DF talks Toady mentioned said something on the lines of each dwarf being able to get 150% of its starting attributes (or maybe it was 200%?).

So the cap is an individual, not species-based, one (though the pseudo-bell-curve of starting attributes is a species-based one).

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:57 am »

That will be interesting: If dwarfs start off very strong because of their dense muscle-mass (anything from a stronger than average human, up to say a chimpanzee), but have a lower/narrower ceiling to their maximum body strength than a human, due to their small size.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:30 am »

Regarding bone housing, here is a link to some information regarding such.

http://www.donsmaps.com/mammothcamp.html

Kobolds are small enough that they might not need something as large as an elephant in the fisrt place, and, in any case, it would be far easier to scavenge bones of the already dead than to hunt for the purpose of building.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: January 21, 2010, 05:32:35 am »

Considering one can make a serviceable shelter from pine branches, I don't see any reason bones and leather strips can't be used to build a strong frame, which would then simply be draped with hides.

All of which could be taken from a single elephant.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: January 21, 2010, 06:05:59 am »

Not really, I was thinking of it bieng more of a cultural thing.

It can also have to do with size since they are smaller than dwarves.

As for level of technology, I don't dispute that since pygmies would be using stone or bone tipped spears and a copper spear could certainly be just as effective and I've seen kobold spearmasters in a kobold civ member list.

I'm sure they can take down an elephant if they really wanted to and have an advantage with their ambush abilities, they simply don't seem to be the kind of culture that goes after big game very often, if they do.

Australian aboriginals used hardwood spear tips which were more than effective for killing crocs and the early mega fauna that inhabited Australia (giant wombats and kangaroos, marsupial lions etc...). it was an easily replaceable material that was light, hard and easy to sharpen.  Add in a Woomera ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woomera_(spear-thrower) ) and you have one hell of a weapon.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
  • Overproducing plump helmets
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: January 21, 2010, 07:37:13 am »

Is it just me or did the "Underground feature resources more likely and useful (farmable areas, etc.)"
turn a shade darker during this week? :o
"He's Wiiking. He can do anything." -Metabie
"What Wiiking did was quite smart." -Dare
"Wiiking hits it right on the nail if you ask me." -Nedstar
"Wiiking is supah powah!" -Shotking

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: January 21, 2010, 07:56:40 am »

Is it just me or did the "Underground feature resources more likely and useful (farmable areas, etc.)"
turn a shade darker during this week? :o

It's just you, unless Toady was extremely sneaky and updated the List without changing the "Last Edit: December 15" at the bottom.

Anyway, today's dev log mentions adventurers interacting with the underground in some unspecified way... intriguing.  Awakening things that weren't meant to be awoken, maybe (although I don't know why that would require the area to be stored as a site).

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:33 am »

In my mind it does everyday but then I look down and see:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:17:04 PM by Toady One »

EDIT: Ninja'd by fookterchief.
Meh.
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1065