Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638401 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10725 on: January 20, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »

Perhaps kobolds would all live in one large tent made of a patch work of cloth and leather stolen from other civs, with a single fire in the middle and kobolds sleeping in a circle up against the edge of the tent. There would always be 2 kobolds awake guarding the door with their spears/copper daggers.

You're talking about ahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt I believe.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: January 20, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »

Perhaps kobolds would all live in one large tent made of a patch work of cloth and leather stolen from other civs, with a single fire in the middle and kobolds sleeping in a circle up against the edge of the tent. There would always be 2 kobolds awake guarding the door with their spears/copper daggers.

You're talking about a Yurt I believe.
fix'd

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: January 20, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

You're talking about a Yurt I believe.
fix'd

oops, thanks for fixing that. heh.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: January 20, 2010, 07:07:31 pm »

I don't think building large structures out of bones is very feasible for... well, anyone. It would take a pretty ridiculous amount of engineering to do properly, unless you just mean "hiding out in an elephant ribcage with a big sheet of something thrown over it for shelter".

Of course, that's why they live in caves.
Definitely not multi-story but easily walls and maybe a passable roof.

I don't think building large structures out of bones is very feasible for... well, anyone. It would take a pretty ridiculous amount of engineering to do properly, unless you just mean "hiding out in an elephant ribcage with a big sheet of something thrown over it for shelter".

Sedlac Ossuary disagrees.

http://www.dolc.de/home/attachment/200910/22/144347_125622316069jJ.jpg

Except that's not even built out of bones. It's adorned with them on the inside.

Seriously, that's kind of like saying that my house is built out of wallpaper and light fixtures.
I don't see my room made out of anything else. Well, paint rather than wallpaper but what could be on the other side of it???

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: January 20, 2010, 07:59:18 pm »

Sedlac Ossuary disagrees.

http://www.dolc.de/home/attachment/200910/22/144347_125622316069jJ.jpg

Except that's not even built out of bones. It's adorned with them on the inside.

Seriously, that's kind of like saying that my house is built out of wallpaper and light fixtures.
I don't see my room made out of anything else. Well, paint rather than wallpaper but what could be on the other side of it???

Drywall, I'd imagine. Possibly wood. Probably not bones.

Still, bone walls and suchlike are very evil-themed, and appropriate magics or alchemical treatments could probably strengthen them sufficiently. Make them weaker than most wood, statwise, but they're thematically appropriate enough to include them in the game... although it's doubtful kobolds would use them often. So perhaps I'm a bit off-topic. Oh well. Can always define a custom reaction at an Alchemist's Lab or whatever in the next version to convert bones to rockbone or whatever you want to call your building material.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: January 20, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »

Well, for one thing, you don't see walls made of bones because it's kind of hard to stack them in a wall shape.  There's some other ossuary-type place, I forget the name, where the walls are made of like plaster or medieval concrete, but stuffed with as many bones as they could fit.  That count as made of bones, or would you still call that adorned with them?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

At whoever said about the huts made from mammoth bones. I saw something about that once and it was likely just one hut which was used for ritual purpouses or served as the shamans hut.

Mammoth ribs are certainly big enough to serve as suppourts, so they could have done that. However I don't see the kobolds as big game hunters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

Of course not. We're skulking so you won't notice.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »

Won't stop you from scavenging carcasses, after all, thats what you are, scavengers.

*ducks from a few thrown copper daggers*

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »

I'm not going to green this, because somebody on the forums certainly knows.

There is a cap for attributes for this release, right? What percent of the normal attributes can you get to now? 200? 300?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23:21 pm »

The way I was saying doesn't really require a solid wall of bone- just one that's enough of an obstacle that people wouldn't usually try to go through it. I suppose you could maybe achieve something more impossible to get through with a ton of bones if you looked at how beaver dams are put together.

About how fast would bones rot inside of a cave? These things could maybe grow over the centuries of world gen.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: January 20, 2010, 09:30:41 pm »

Perhaps kobolds could build giant towers of junk. Constructed from all the things they have stolen over the years.

...That makes kobolds sound like earth-bound birds doesn't it?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: January 20, 2010, 09:38:31 pm »

However I don't see the kobolds as big game hunters.

Pygmies hunt African bull elephants with spears.
For they would be your masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:54 pm »

However I don't see the kobolds as big game hunters.

Pygmies hunt African bull elephants with spears.

Theres a difference, they are humans, not kobolds.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1065