Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638077 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10695 on: January 20, 2010, 11:39:22 am »

So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr
What kinds of buildings should kobolds make?

How about adobe huts? There was already mention about the animalmen having hunting base camps of a sort.
What's an adobe hut look like on a grid? Can you make a decent looking one without it being larger than typical human houses?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: January 20, 2010, 11:47:27 am »

So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr

How about adobe huts? There was already mention about the animalmen having hunting base camps of a sort.
What's an adobe hut look like on a grid? Can you make a decent looking one without it being larger than typical human houses?

I was thinking something like the pueblos of the southwest and I was just tossing something out there. From what I've seen of human houses by embarking on human towns/cities, they would be pretty much the same except they would be made of clay. Only problem bieng that there is no way to make clay blocks (you could use claystone, but thats not the same thing) while clay is abundant ingame, so they'd have to use rocks. If they use rocks, then, I'm not sure what that would imply.

All I know is that Toady has done something with underground civs and possible structures they would build.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: January 20, 2010, 12:13:50 pm »

I was thinking something like the pueblos of the southwest and I was just tossing something out there. From what I've seen of human houses by embarking on human towns/cities, they would be pretty much the same except they would be made of clay. Only problem bieng that there is no way to make clay blocks (you could use claystone, but thats not the same thing) while clay is abundant ingame, so they'd have to use rocks. If they use rocks, then, I'm not sure what that would imply.

All I know is that Toady has done something with underground civs and possible structures they would build.
Glad you could see what I was getting at.
The buildings might just be like some leather item sitting on the ground if they are small enough. +Goat Leather Tepee+

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: January 20, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »

This
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »

This
Got a prefered way to show those in ascii?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: January 20, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »

This
Got a prefered way to show those in ascii?

^ perhaps?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: January 20, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »

It seems to me you should be able to gather clay the same way you gather sand and process it into bricks at a furnace.  But that sounds like a rather expensive operation to get such a cheap material.  You might as well build everything out of glass blocks.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: January 20, 2010, 01:12:57 pm »

or the logical ∧ instead of ^... looks more like a hut ;)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:31 pm »

It seems to me you should be able to gather clay the same way you gather sand and process it into bricks at a furnace.  But that sounds like a rather expensive operation to get such a cheap material.  You might as well build everything out of glass blocks.
With string having lengths perhaps we could have numerics for the wood you get from a tree as well and only require some fraction of a tree for producing clay or glass. I think you don't have to fire clay at as high a temperature as glass so it could be cheaper with this.

I don't think Toady has expressed any intention of subdividing logs though.

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »

I was under the impression that adobe was unfired.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: January 20, 2010, 01:42:31 pm »

Yep, its made from sun-dried clay.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »

Ya but how are you going to have dwarves haul non-unitized clay about? I guess you could do it with buckets.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: January 20, 2010, 01:44:55 pm »

Why not make it so that a "bucket of clay" gives more than 1 brick? Maybe like... 3 or 5?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: January 20, 2010, 02:05:28 pm »

They use Bones, Wood, Metal (in small amounts), and Leather.

Though the question is. Should we be realistic? Or should we steriotype them into straw huts? or should we create a new type of dwelling?

Id think living in caves makes certain types of dwellings obsolete as you can, quite litterally, just board up parts of a cave to make homes.

Id think Kobolds would make their homes at the sides of the cave and possibly in a few carved out places.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:20 pm »

I think kobolds, being a scavenger race, should build their dwellings out of bone.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1065