Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637927 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10680 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:30 am »

Silly hats is an idea I'm surprisingly drawn to.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: January 20, 2010, 07:19:59 am »

Given that we have uniforms for military, will we also be able to setup uniforms for jobs & positions? I.E. mayor "regalia" consisting of necklage, signet ring and silly hat?

Nope.  Uniforms are only for the military in the upcoming release.  There's a current Suggestions thread about position-linked uniforms, though.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:07 am »

Silly hats is an idea I'm surprisingly drawn to.

It's a damn shame and/or disgrace that they're not a core component from like years ago.

For they would be your masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: January 20, 2010, 07:21:42 am »

In a related note, has a penalty for not clothing your dwarves been instituted, and, if so, will items of clothing that should cover multiple areas do so?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:30 am »

I think there should only be a mechanical penalty for not clothing your dwarfs if they live within an environment that would be hostile to nudity (which could cover a lot--temperature, insects, sunlight, sand...).

Social mores are another matter, but please note: a subjective one.
For they would be your masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: January 20, 2010, 07:35:51 am »

Or when forging, cooking, chiseling, etc.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:52 am »

In a related note, has a penalty for not clothing your dwarves been instituted,

Dug up some stuff on the matter:

They used to care about nakedness, but the tantrums were horrible.  I think Req18/Req68 are about this.  I get two version point numbers if I do those things!

# Req18, ARMOR-CLOTHING CONFLICTS, RACK/STAND USE/PILES, (Future): People had trouble changing from armor to clothing or back because they'd be made unhappy by nakedness. These thoughts are currently turned off. In general, how armor (and weapons) are handled is due to be modified. Specific soldiers can claim their own racks and stands, and piles and bins can be used for general storage of the excess.

The rack/stand/pile stuff has probably been addressed, but there wasn't anything in the devlog about reinstating the unhappy thought from nakedness.

will items of clothing that should cover multiple areas do so?

They already do in the current version.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: January 20, 2010, 09:27:10 am »

its my experience that nakedness usually brings happy thoughts.........

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: January 20, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

I don't remember seeing this, but I'll ask anyway in this version will we be able to assign rooms to positions like "mayor" and so forth, rather than to individual dwarves?

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:32 am »

When designing custom workshops, can you define the length of time required to complete a job?  How specific can you be when defining the materials required for building the shop?  Could you give us example raws for custom workshops?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:44:38 am by Zantan »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:29 am »

Quote from: Footkerchief link=topic=30026.msg983909#msg983909
[quote author=Lord Shonus link=topic=30026.msg983867#msg983867 date=1263990102
will items of clothing that should cover multiple areas do so?

They already do in the current version.
[/quote]
Really? I was under the impression that they only covered teh body part they were worn on.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: January 20, 2010, 11:21:31 am »

And what do you mean by first world areas not having a sense of sovereign? As far as I know, the US, european countries, canada, etc, haven't given up on their territory or submitted themselves directly to the will of a foreign power. The EU countries haven't given up on their sovereign either, they just agreed to work togheder, but a country can defect from it if it wishes to do so, there's nothing absolutely preventing it from doing that.

The number of countries where the leader is actually sovereign is dwindling. In plenty the King or whatnot is more for show and you certainly can't say any of the various politician groups have indisputable power since it's really all about limits. If Obama was sovereign losing the Massachusetts seat wouldn't matter and we'd have socialized medicine already ::)

Of course Obama isn't the sovereign.  The People is.  More specifically, the people who actually vote are the sovereign.  I don't remember exactly how the argument went, but didn't some philosopher ask, "If the king cannot choose his heir, who then has the power: The king, or the King Makers?"  Okay, that is a paraphrase of what is probably a translation, but it contains the idea.

Also, did you never take a high school civics class that talked about "Popular Sovereignty?"  It is very much present in the Republics of the western world.  Other places, like north Korea or Cuba, not so much, though they tend to have some form of autocrat in power.

At any rate, a better question to ask with regards to defining civilizations would probably be whether they have a formal power structure or not?  In Egypt, they had the pharoah, in rome they had the senate and later the emperors.  During the Senatorial period, would you claim that the romans were not civilized?  Okay, neither would I, but that is more because they were a blood thirsty people who delighted in murder and killing than because I feel like applying real anthropological principles to them.
Nope I'm trying to tell what the word means in a self-educated way.
If it's the people of America that are sovereign perhaps we shouldn't cal ourselves a civilization either.

In the more anarchistic groups, like most hunter gatherers, it's still the people deciding who's in charge. You only get that blip at the point where a leader could have a military force that the regular people couldn't stand up against but that's obviously not present in hunter gatherer groups- ever able bodied male is usually the military strength of such groups.

The differences between nerd geek and dork are awfully recently constructed. It feels like expecting everyone to abide by my definition of pudding also being an adhesive such as the mortar used in bricklaying.
Nerd: erudite, nonsocial smart person, often ostracised.
Geek: Someone who will eat odd things e.g. buckets of nails
Dork: a euphemism.

Why people go out of their way to put others down I will ne'er sympathise.
If you actually get people talking about this you're going to have a hard time finding matching definitions for those.

These words come too much from elementary school children to have preserved meanings.

Spoilered for off-topic irrelivancy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How many of us are old enough that it's relevant to argue for the older definitions?

So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr
What kinds of buildings should kobolds make?

I don't remember seeing this, but I'll ask anyway in this version will we be able to assign rooms to positions like "mayor" and so forth, rather than to individual dwarves?
Edit: I recall hearing that being on the backburner.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:24:34 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:00 am »

There are high boots that cover the lower legs and the feet...not sure what else.

Ninja'd..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: January 20, 2010, 11:28:00 am »

So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr
What kinds of buildings should kobolds make?

How about adobe huts? There was already mention about the animalmen having hunting base camps of a sort.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:35 am »

Since Kobolds are not a nomadic or migratory Civilisation with access to limited forms of technology.

They can reasonably build shelters such as houses and cabins. They might even use Windbreakers for their caves so that they can store heat during winter.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1065