Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637659 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10650 on: January 19, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »

So I'm not just making things up with the power structure being more important than the power holder?  Yay!  Happy day!  I wonder how much of this think through Toady did before he instituted the new power behavior of creating ruler positions in world gen.  It would be awesome if the Roman republic were generated during world gen.  It would also be awesome if the mongol invasion were generated during world gen, but that can wait.

Also, you might want to fix your quote of me.  I kinda missed deleting a [/quote] tag.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10651 on: January 19, 2010, 03:48:18 pm »

The differences between nerd geek and dork are awfully recently constructed. It feels like expecting everyone to abide by my definition of pudding also being an adhesive such as the mortar used in bricklaying.
Nerd: erudite, nonsocial smart person, often ostracised.
Geek: Someone who will eat odd things e.g. buckets of nails
Dork: a euphemism.

It can also vary by where you are or what context.

For example, geek has a similar meaning as nerd. Computer geek is the same as computer nerd.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: January 19, 2010, 04:07:44 pm »

The differences between nerd geek and dork are awfully recently constructed. It feels like expecting everyone to abide by my definition of pudding also being an adhesive such as the mortar used in bricklaying.

For example, geek has a similar meaning as nerd. Computer geek is the same as computer nerd.

Damn...you mean Geek Squad won't eat up all these leftover nails I have lying around?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

No but they may make for a low-grade sour candy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:04 pm »

Damn...you mean Geek Squad won't eat up all these leftover nails I have lying around?

lol.

Geek Squad is certainly better marketable than Nerd Squad.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: January 19, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

Spoilered for off-topic irrelivancy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding actual dev items: Regarding underground plant growth - will we be getting soil z-levels naturaly occuring in the underground or will there be some other way plants are spreading? Also, new underground plants maybe?
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: January 19, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »

Kobolds are the way they are mostly because they have the "skulking" tag and have caves in [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:].  The former causes sieges to be triggered by how successful thieves are rather than the entity raw triggers.  The latter matters because during worldgen, civs can only create new sites of their default site type.  Since civilizations can't create caves it means kobolds usually can't/don't found new sites.  If you give them towns or something as a default site and drop [SKULKING] they act just like the goblins (not counting minor metals and religion).

One thing I'm not sure about is if skulking has any effect on how entities expand in world gen.
So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?
:|, Oh you :P

Thanks anyway I guess.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: January 19, 2010, 04:32:45 pm »

Regarding actual dev items: Regarding underground plant growth - will we be getting soil z-levels naturaly occuring in the underground or will there be some other way plants are spreading? Also, new underground plants maybe?

This came up before:

Quote from: Rockphed
Toady, are there still plants that grow underground like towercaps in the current version?  Also, will they still grow on muddied stone underground, or will they need real soil?  Do they just grow in the open layers, or will they grow anywhere underground?

There are still underground plants, and there are areas that start with them.  I haven't placed soil tiles deep underground, so they grow in mud.  I don't think it knows how to pull an underground plant population outside of a layer.  At this point things like tree farms aren't quite as important as before, since there are lots down there that will regrow, but it should probably learn how to extend to other subterranean layers at some point.  There are a few little issues like knowing where it should be drawing the spore populations from -- if you are in between a cavern and a magma layer, it should probably know that the cavern layer is always the source, but if you are in between two cavern layers but really really close to the upper one, it probably shouldn't give you spores from down below.  Perhaps an upper default is the best.

There's been more underground work since then, though, so maybe that's changed.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: January 19, 2010, 04:33:33 pm »

The Egyptains may also have buried a pharoahs most beloved concubine(s) and possibly valued servants, but they died of natural causes.

Concurrent to the eruption of Santorini is evidence that the locals started cutting off the toes and fingers of dozens of children, assumably an established ritual for appeasing the angry world.

During the Shang Dynasty, it was common to bind and slit the throats of peasants, horses, deer and even elephants to bury with the king.  The king himself demonstrated his power by executing groups of people, sometimes as large as 300.

The Mayans threw children into the cenote when it dried up.

So, if your Egyptians weren't sacrificing people, then they were the only ones not to do it.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10659 on: January 19, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »

They did plenty of animal sacrifices though.

Lemme try and see if they actually did do human sacrifice. They probably did it in a different way rather than killing.

Edit: They seem to have had it in the predynastic and during the first dynasty but gave it up after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice#Ancient_Egypt
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0504/feature7/index.html
http://www.ancient-egypt.org/index.html
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/humansac.htm
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/djer.htm

They also had this monster thingy that would devour the souls of those that didn't pass the test that Anubis gave, forget the name of it though. Had to do with weighing the heart against a feather, basically your heart had to be pure and free of sin, or something.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:56:32 pm by smjjames »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: January 19, 2010, 05:40:00 pm »

On the topic of would-be substitute food "plants" such as bread;

If plants are an appropriate domain for random creature generation, might we end up with breadmen?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #10661 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:54 pm »

On the topic of would-be substitute food "plants" such as bread;

If plants are an appropriate domain for random creature generation, might we end up with breadmen?
Do you know the muffin man?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:59 pm »

Do you know the muffin man?

The muffin man?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: January 19, 2010, 06:03:19 pm »

the Gingerbread Man. [SPEED:1]
Kobolds are the way they are mostly because they have the "skulking" tag and have caves in [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:].  The former causes sieges to be triggered by how successful thieves are rather than the entity raw triggers.  The latter matters because during worldgen, civs can only create new sites of their default site type.  Since civilizations can't create caves it means kobolds usually can't/don't found new sites.  If you give them towns or something as a default site and drop [SKULKING] they act just like the goblins (not counting minor metals and religion).

One thing I'm not sure about is if skulking has any effect on how entities expand in world gen.
So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?
:|, Oh you :P

Thanks anyway I guess.
Well, I wanted to know too, and thought Toady should be asked, so...yeah. Then again, might need to extract from quote.
So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:46 pm »

Well, I wanted to know too, and thought Toady should be asked, so...yeah. Then again, might need to extract from quote.
So potentially with all the underground work going on, kobolds will have towns/cities in caves now?--Thndr
Or I could just edit the post, but whatever. I wasn't really asking seriously, but I guess if you also were wondering it as well it is a serious question. :P

Anyway, you sure Gingerbread man should get a speed of 1? isn't there anything faster? ;D
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 1065