Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637545 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10590 on: January 18, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »

A tribes of hunters-gatherers are not a civilization for they have no significal government, large settlements, similar religious beliefs and much less sense of sovereign. While they may compose a nation (even if not united in a single group), they lack the unity to be considered a civilization.
If you're saying they don't have religions...
And sense of sovereign would exclude a lot of people from "first world" areas today...
I didn't say they weren't religious, I said they lack the similar unified belief system that can be observed in all civilizations, (like the greeks following only the greek pantheon, romans following the roman one, Byzantium, Babylon, etc). Almost every time, each tribe has a different set of beliefs.

You have an extremely hypersimplistic view of Greco-Roman religion. The pantheons did not work that way. Different city-states/regions often had quite variable ideas of who was worth worshipping and why. You see the same sort of thing in ancient Egypt. Things were not unified.

You're misunderstanding me when I say "unified pantheons". I don't mean unified as "here are our gods, choose one", but rather "hey, you have a different god, he and my god must be related in some way!". The greco-roman pantheon gods, despite being stark different from eachother at times, often were regarded as having a similar origin or a something to link their existences with eachother. Athens worshipped Athena, sparta worshiped Ares, but both accepted the fact they were both under the same godly family.

What you often see in tribal hunter-gatherer societies is that a tribe will worship something (the sky, for example), while other will worship something completely unrelated (ancestor spirits, an animal, etc), and the beliefs have no real cultural link with eachother.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:08:22 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: January 18, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »

What you often see in tribal hunter-gatherer societies is that a tribe will worship something (the sky, for example), while other will worship something completely unrelated (ancestor spirits, an animal, etc), and the beliefs have no real cultural link with eachother.

How is this any different from two distinct larger civilizations having no cultural links with each other?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:39 pm »

How is this any different from two distinct larger civilizations having no cultural links with each other?

Because, say, a civilization is often regarded as more then a group of 400 people without permanent settlements and thus, no real sovereign?
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: January 18, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

Wait, since when did "tribal" mean "nomadic"?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:28 pm »

The current discussion is about hunter-gatherers, which are by nature nomadic.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:00 pm »

The current discussion is about hunter-gatherers, which are by nature nomadic.
^This, and the fact 90% of the time the term "nomadic" is applied to a group of individuals, said group is a tribe.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »

Pro tip: Most arguments on the internet stem from people using different definitions for the same words. Reduced to their fundamentals, the argument is simply over whose definition is better.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: January 18, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »

You should avoid referring to nomads--otherwise you'll mix up hunter-gatherers and pastoralists. The latter, though they often had animist style religions, like the Mongols worshipping the Big Blue Sky, had much larger and more complicated than the former. DF should include the ability to follow a pastoralist lifeway.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: January 18, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »

*cough cough*
Vaporware.
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: January 18, 2010, 11:24:12 pm »

*cough cough*
Vaporware.

Where did this come from and what is it even refering to?

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: January 19, 2010, 12:01:14 am »

In response to several things: (spoilered because some people don't want to go off topic about anthropology)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: January 19, 2010, 12:08:56 am »

Well the animalmen defy quite a bit of their natural counterparts. (well usually their solitary nature. Tigers I think don't make packs greater then 2 members)

Anyhow yes Hunter and Gathering societies don't have to even move and not all forms of nomadic society are the same (For example some are just migratory and simply go to multiple established homes).

Though as far as the game is concerned both nomads and pre-aggricultural societies are civilisations though I DO see reasons for them to get different classifications under certain circumstances (but then again I do see reasons for these exceptions to extend to even more technologically advanced societies)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: January 19, 2010, 12:33:08 am »

Toady hasn't been on here for who the hell knows how long... Where is he?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: January 19, 2010, 12:34:19 am »

Toady hasn't been on here for who the hell knows how long... Where is he?

QUICK to the Toady Signal!

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:55 am »

SO BRINGING IT BACK TO THE DWARVES.

*ahem*

right.

I am going to lose it when this release finally makes it out.  Every day i check for the devlog update, like some damn religion, and every day i hit this thread to find it -- well, to find it full of crap, really.  Could we keep it on the dwarves?  The guys with the magma?  Yeah?  Thanks.  Anyway, where was I.  right.

I'm gonna lose it when this game comes out, carpal-tunnel, forgetting-to-eat lose it.  Reviewing the google doc with all the new features made my jaw drop.  I loved DF already, but it was too easy.  Harder underground?  Infinite sieges?  Maybe even digging monsters?!?  Be still my heart.  I was hoping it could come out over xmas so i could play it without losing touch with my life, but that clearly hasn't happened... :-\  I'm hoping it gets out before january is through but i fear it won't be until mid-feb. 

"Happy Valentines Day, G/F!  I'll see you in a few weeks, gaunt and staring!"

So consulting "The List" -- that ostensible subject of this thread -- i see basically three things.

1) Ropes.  Do we care?  can he just release as is?
2) Underground areas isn't greened out yet.  CLOSE ENOUGH ALREADY :D
3) Everything else.  Cat bug?  two lines  ;D.  Hydra test?  He probably did it already. Compat issues?  Who cares, everyone's gonna upgrade.  Misc bug reports &c...  Which leaves merging with 40d#. :o .  As a coder myself, I can see this taking a fair bit of time.

If he takes his weekend days at end of january, then... a few days for 1, a few days for 2, a week for 3 and we're in february.  Damn.  Excuse me, i'm gonna go over to a pledge-a-thon thread...

Any other suggestions?  Thoughts?  Reasons to keep hoping it'll actually come out tomorrow?
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1065