Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637475 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10560 on: January 18, 2010, 12:47:25 pm »

AAARGHHH. my internet connection goes down at random intervals and it cut off two posts I've tried to make in the last week, including one about the ants, but now the topic has moved on, so my post is useless. I HATE VIRGIN.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »

I HATE VIRGIN.

Let it go, man. It's not healthy to hate yourself, dude.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »

Don't know if this has been asked yet (I am not shifting through 700+ pages) but, Will it ever be possible in a future version for a civil war to start during gameplay and the player's fort to be involved, i.e you support the resistance and attack other forts loyal to the crown, or attack rebelling forts, and support the crown, or just refuse to be involved; and if so, can the player start a civil war?

I think that would be an interesting addition to the game. I know I would enjoy it.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: January 18, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »

Theres a whole bunch of external army stuff coming sometime after this release where you can command armies to attack stuff. I have no idea about internal conflict though, but theres likely some future dev goal involving this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »

Don't know if this has been asked yet (I am not shifting through 700+ pages) but, Will it ever be possible in a future version for a civil war to start during gameplay and the player's fort to be involved, i.e you support the resistance and attack other forts loyal to the crown, or attack rebelling forts, and support the crown, or just refuse to be involved; and if so, can the player start a civil war?

I think that would be an interesting addition to the game. I know I would enjoy it.

Yes, there's a dev item for civil wars etc:

# Core63, SUCCESSION, ASSOCIATED CONFLICTS AND SCHISMS, (Future): First of all, succession for positions needs to occur in play, so that dead liaisons are replaced, as well as dead monarchs. Then the process needs to be made messier all around. Wars over succession, schisms over religious disagreements, etc., starting from world gen and coming into regular play. In dwarf mode, you might be involved on one side or the other, directly or indirectly, relying on more involved diplomacy and army code than we currently have, and adventure mode can also gain a lot from such conflicts.

Several facets of that item are on dev_next, meaning they're slated for near-future development:

# III.D.1: Handling basic succession for all positions during regular play (part of Core63)
# III.D.2: Allowing conflict over succession, schisms and contested claims to entity positions in world gen (part of Core63)
# III.D.3: Allowing such conflict in regular play (part of Core63)

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: January 18, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »

Speaking of my little side note above, and granted it's a bit further into the fortress future than the next release,  will other civilizations ever eventually react to you building a fort within their geopolitical boundaries?  I'd like to think there will eventually be repercussions if a group of dwarfs just started digging in in the middle of human territories, especially if they are digging up all sorts of valuable minerals and gems that technically belong to the humans... I'd like to see something like the humans annexing your fortress by defeating your military, allowing you to continue running it, but swapping your parent civ to human and stationing NPC human guards.  maybe you could even rebel against the humans and kill their guards by training and arming new troops in secret...  That'll need some pretty sophisticated AI on the human guards, though, and some way you keep you from dealing with the human guards like caravans and nobles currently can be dealt with... Or maybe not ::)

that would be awesome, and I wonder if it could work in proximity to other civilizations:

Will proximity to political boundaries affect rate of sieges?  For example, would a fort deep within Dwarven territory, far from a border, would lead to fewer sieges, but being right on the boundary with goblins (for example) would lead to frequent raids and sieges by goblins?
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: January 18, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »

I'm still in favor of the "anthill as organism" theory, personally.

Let's get back on topic; do you think smells will ever play a part in adventure mode?

Your pants catch on fire!
Your third toe, left foot is burned!
Something smells delicious.
Your lower body is incinerated!
Something smells delicious.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:55 pm »

Yes, there's a dev item for civil wars etc:

# Core63, SUCCESSION, ASSOCIATED CONFLICTS AND SCHISMS, (Future): First of all, succession for positions needs to occur in play, so that dead liaisons are replaced, as well as dead monarchs. Then the process needs to be made messier all around. Wars over succession, schisms over religious disagreements, etc., starting from world gen and coming into regular play. In dwarf mode, you might be involved on one side or the other, directly or indirectly, relying on more involved diplomacy and army code than we currently have, and adventure mode can also gain a lot from such conflicts.

Several facets of that item are on dev_next, meaning they're slated for near-future development:

# III.D.1: Handling basic succession for all positions during regular play (part of Core63)
# III.D.2: Allowing conflict over succession, schisms and contested claims to entity positions in world gen (part of Core63)
# III.D.3: Allowing such conflict in regular play (part of Core63)

Sweet. Thanks.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: January 18, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »

I wonder how Toady feels at this point. How long has it been since he said he was better, excluding recovery?

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: January 18, 2010, 02:20:49 pm »

Will the elves ever bring anything but useless crap to trade?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: January 18, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »

You mean like wood that you need to get metal armor for your military?

Elves are possibly the MOST useful trade carrivan for those who don't cheat for magma

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10571 on: January 18, 2010, 02:33:08 pm »

Elves are possibly the MOST useful trade carrivan for those who don't cheat for magma

except that if you buy from them regularly they stop bringing wood.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Wood too? Wood is quite necessary for non-steel things too. Like axles and windmills and w'terwheels and clear glass.

'm more interested in the animals.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: January 18, 2010, 02:57:19 pm »

They also tend to bring all kinds of exotic animals, albeit irregularly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: January 18, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

I think Elves would make a great salesmen for some rare/ungrowable herbs, that you could use in alchemy (when it is implemented), in healthcare (I'd love to see a rare expensive regenerative herb, with which one could regrow limbs, eyes, heal organs etc...)  or even induce strange moods in dwarfs ("Urist McArmorer stops eating fairy dust. Struck by fay mood.")

This would fit the elves natural style, but would make them valuable in trade.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 1065