Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636890 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10395 on: January 15, 2010, 02:29:42 am »

it would be nice if it followed some sort of pattern instead of being entirely random.

If you mean material preferences should be less random, you may find these two Suggestions threads interesting:
Valuation tables for each Civilization
Symbolism and Materials

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: January 15, 2010, 02:32:17 am »

Put it this way - if more alcohol doesn't make it go faster beyond a certain amount, it's not a bonus.

A bonus having a limit doesn't mean it's not a bonus. You could say the same about any performance-enhancing drug humans take. Guys in South America would chew on coca leaves for a quick boost (probably not delivering much of the actual drug), but there's sure as hell a limit to the benefit you can get from doing cocaine.

That's how most things work, really. There's not really a single thing out there you can do to yourself that'll improve anything about you to a limitless degree; the implications would be pretty drastic otherwise.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: January 15, 2010, 02:36:38 am »

But the two factors are combined here. You won't progressively work slower and slower if you chew less coca leaves unless you're already addicted. In which case coca leaves or cocaine stop being a bonus, and lack of them becomes a penalty. This is the case with dwarves. They're used to drinking alcohol, and don't work any better if they drink lots of it. But drinking less makes them work worse.

Yes, I know there may be performance-boosting drugs out there that don't cause addiction. In that case, they're a bonus. Just because you won't be able to push yourself beyond physical limits, btw, doesn't mean taking a high enough dose of anything won't make you at least try. The humans are known for some ridiculous feats even when perfectly sober. Drunks can fall from a window on the 8th floor, walk away with bruises, then die of shock when they sober up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:40:23 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:44 am »

But the two factors are combined here. You won't progressively work slower and slower if you chew less coca leaves unless you're already addicted. In which case coca leaves or cocaine stop being a bonus, and lack of them becomes a penalty. This is the case with dwarves.
There's no difference here except for the frame of reference. If you're used to something improving your performance, then lack of it is seen as a penalty, and if you're not used to it, then presence of it is seen as a bonus.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: January 15, 2010, 02:59:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: January 15, 2010, 03:42:05 am »

But the two factors are combined here. You won't progressively work slower and slower if you chew less coca leaves unless you're already addicted. In which case coca leaves or cocaine stop being a bonus, and lack of them becomes a penalty. This is the case with dwarves.
There's no difference here except for the frame of reference. If you're used to something improving your performance, then lack of it is seen as a penalty, and if you're not used to it, then presence of it is seen as a bonus.
Which is exactly what I'm talking about. With every dwarf being used to alcohol, it's no longer a bonus to them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: January 15, 2010, 07:32:35 am »

Can anyone see the new dev update? My RSS reader says there is a new update (14/01/2010), but somehow, I can't see the update itself on the webpage. I can only see the 12/01 update.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: January 15, 2010, 07:40:27 am »

Can anyone see the new dev update? My RSS reader says there is a new update (14/01/2010), but somehow, I can't see the update itself on the webpage. I can only see the 12/01 update.

01/14/2010: I'm hoping to be through with all the life-related checks for the underground tomorrow, which would leave the map-related stuff and that rope ladder issue.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44:49 am »

Wicked, anyone got any ideas of what the map related stuff includes?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: January 15, 2010, 08:12:34 am »

Showed up fine in Google Reader for me. Check your feed, maybe?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:56 am »

The misconception comes from how he described the the bonus. The way he's talking it's more like how something such as cigarettes make someone a little more alert and witty and all of that but only when they start doing it but after years of it they're operating at the same base level and need the smoke just to maintain it.

Now, this is the perception we've got of these sorts of chronic drug behaviors possibly thanks to all the anti-drug advertising many of us grew up around but realistically there's probably still a moderate bonus off of the base level but people's perceptions of themselves and others won't really maintain a measure of base level that's never present.

Still, we can probably assume that the basically constant rate at which dwarves drink is more or less maintainable rather than in the fashion of binge drinking in some frat house so they could be much more boozed up. Judging by that devgoal footkercheif brought up I'm going to say that programatically it's a penalty right now but later work will grant it some bonus effects.

The function of the bonus may be arguable but we'll expect it in large successful forts most likely.
Edit: Happy thoughts do add up infinitely (or close enough) so perhaps we'll fit the misstated meaning of a benefit in a sense.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:09:50 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:51 am »

Awesome...so in a couple of days we'll finally be back to things that are actually on the dev list! We'll see some colorin' for the first time in a month

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: January 15, 2010, 10:52:08 am »

Works fine now. Must have been a cache thing.

And thanks for the post, Osmosis Jones.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: January 15, 2010, 12:53:08 pm »

Works fine now. Must have been a cache thing.

The bay12games.com server seems to frequently misreport the cache time thinger.  I use Ctrl+F5 to force a refresh.

Wicked, anyone got any ideas of what the map related stuff includes?

Probably making myriad small tweaks and fixes to map generation. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:38:19 pm by Footkerchief »

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: January 15, 2010, 02:21:04 pm »

Looks like he's tackling the last grouping before FINAL.

I also noticed that it's almost been 1 year since he got rid of the number system and turned to the detailed system.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:28:45 pm by Thndr »
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1065